UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Leak in Boot

Old 06-01-2011, 01:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ISTR you mentioning those in AJ's boot leak thread a while ago...I just didn't have a clue WTF you were on about 'til I saw them with my own eyes, then it clicked. Hopefully these photos do your argument justice

Still doesn't negate the fact that the rain rail had 22 rivet size holes in it
Old 06-02-2011, 12:19 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good write up as always though mate.

If only others would try and locate them with the bloody search tool lol!

Come to think of it, one of my trays was a bit loose and I assumed the bodyshop did it repairing a rear qtr panel once.
I wonder why the rivets pull out?
Old 06-02-2011, 01:15 AM

Received 243 Likes on 209 Posts

Clear concise write up.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:12 AM

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Aftermarket roof? Seems when they are fitted somebody doesn't bother to re-rivet the roof to the rail. Mine was exactly the same, shoddy work whoever undertook it!
Old 06-02-2011, 11:08 AM

The hood is now back on, with the rain rail secured to the hood correctly.

The seals can be broken if the rain rail is not re-installed with any amount of finesse. You need to place the rear of the rail under the seals, to prevent them from breaking off and ending up like mine were. This is very fiddly and takes time.

I put a big blob of silicone around the studs to encourage further watertight integrity.

The 10mm nuts then went on, and took some time...boy oh boy, I wish I had an electric Snap-On gun!!!

I have left the parcel shelf off for the time being as I want to ensure the sealant has fully cured before carrying out the water test described in the OP...I also need to clean the parcel shelf plastics, have a good hoover out behind where the vented panels live, and tidy up my heated seat wiring.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:08 AM

The hood and rain rail are now watertight

The sills however...aren't. I've managed to dislodge the drain valve on the O/S. Short term measure = remove sill gromit, but I'll need to get her up in the air ASAP to relocate it correctly...probably at the tech day
Old 06-09-2011, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by loftust
The hood and rain rail are now watertight

The sills however...aren't. I've managed to dislodge the drain valve on the O/S. Short term measure = remove sill gromit, but I'll need to get her up in the air ASAP to relocate it correctly...probably at the tech day
i had sloshing in my car from passenger side and have cleaned out the drain funnel and have tried to clear out the valve/tubes still no water is coming out the bottom of the system. it must be going else where. if the drain valve/tubes has dislodged how can i access them to reconnect them? also where are the gromits on the sills im sure if i unplug them water will pour out. thanks
Old 06-09-2011, 10:52 AM

The gromits are black circular things on the bottom of the sills. Get on your knees and look under the sills.

If the tubes are disconnected, you'll have to strip the interior on that side. As I said in the other thread, it's much too vast a procedure to document here. Download a copy of the service manual and take a look...ignore the steps where it says 'remove the soft top' as it'll be the lower tubes, not the drain tank that there will be a problem with.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyS2000
Now that is a masterclass in S2000 drainage! I definitely need to do this as my boot leaks more than Floppy having a piss!

I'm guessing this will be something else you want me to do then tom?
Old 06-09-2011, 11:48 AM

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm still hoping my drains are merely blocked at the wheel arch level. Currently the water comes out of the sills, which can't be good. (On both sides)

Quick Reply: Leak in Boot