UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Leave or remove

Old 05-26-2015, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leave or remove

I purchased a MY02 in February and have slowly been getting it to my standard. I have a couple of more items to sort wheels which will be left until winter and the fitted body kit.

The car has a lower section on the front bumper, side skirts and rear is it spats? From a distance they look OK but when you look close up then the poor fitting shows with plenty of sealant being used poor trimming etc.

My thoughts are to remove it all and bring the car back to stock but the worry is what damage is unseen I know I will be looking at a front and rear bumper respray but unsure about what will be needed on the cills though it appears that they are an overlay and bonded to cill at the top.

Anyone removed kits before and if so what was needed to restore car to standard
Old 05-26-2015, 10:25 PM

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Pictures would help.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by RobinA3
Pictures would help.
Thought that also but have trouble working out how to get them to appear in my post, will see what I can read in the forum and get some posted
Old 05-26-2015, 11:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If they are side spats they will be oem and possibly there will be a hole in your quarter if they were fitted by the dealer.
I had my spats fitted by the body shop and they glued then on instead.

They would be worth keeping as whilst they are only small (if oem spats) they are worth a bit second hand.

The front sounds like after market due to the figment issues. Upload photos via photo bucket and the resident gurus will confirm
Old 05-27-2015, 02:50 AM

right here goes links to pictures below hopefully large enough to be able to zoom in.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzR...ew?usp=sharing

Pretty sure they are glued with a few plastic push button clips on the wheel arches and underside of the cills, they seem to have used a lot of sealant especially the front bumper which look horrible, choice may be to see if a good bodyshop could tidy the sealant up if they cant be removed.

The cills seem to finish with a lip on the existing cill section just below the plastic cover threshold strip again with sealant, the more I look the more it looks like it could be bonded onto rather than cut into the bodywork.

I will wait to see if anyone recognises the manufacturer or can say how they have been fitted.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Whats the front badge?
Old 05-27-2015, 05:37 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

I can see why you'd want to lose it & sell it on!

You may incur some paint damage in removing it, even if you use a soft plastic tool and hot air gun to soften everything up a bit.

So you might need a partial respray.

You might find an old thread from a long-time member (Gaddafi) where he restored a yellow one - and did rather well selling off the rice bits. That will be a guide.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm not mad on the kit, but its not awful. The front lip is OEM (or maybe OEM replica if you say it fits badly), but side skirts and rear spats I'm sure of 3rd party.

If you want to remove, regardless of bond or bolt - it'll probably need some form paintwork or paint correction

The exposed paint could be discoloured compared to the paint underneath the kit, you may take laquer off and/or have drill holes that will need filling and painting; or worst case, uncover a spot of damage (can't see there being that much given how thin the sills are though).

In any case, I'd budget for potential work before removal - if you take it all off and its clean as a whistle then winner winner chicken dinner! You can spend it on something else for the car!
Old 05-27-2015, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by flybikeslee

Whats the front badge?
Not sure but they were the 1st to go and replaced with original Honda badges supplied, they had the Honda symbol in the middle gold area and then wings coming off either side, there was mention of them being american but not sure as never seen them before and only wing I have ever seen on Honda badges was on their early motorcycles and then there was only one wing not 2. He had also put smaller gold wings each side of the smaller Honda symbol on the hard top, all those were removed too.

Unfortunately the front badge has left a small discoloration so I am probably going to have to have front bumper resprayed to remove this hence trying to work out what he did with the aftermarket kit.

And for good measure he fitted a sunroof in the hardtop which I found strange until I sat inside and realised how much more light there is when its fitted against a standard top.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:48 AM

Received 344 Likes on 321 Posts

Remove the kit and the badges

Quick Reply: Leave or remove