UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Low mileage

Old 07-13-2013, 03:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low mileage

Is it generally worth paying the premium for low mileage?

I'm going to look at a 2006 S2000 tomorrow which only has 14,000 on the clock at £10,500 ( private sale not trade ).

Just wondering if it would be better to spend 6 or 7 grand on a higher mileage vehicle and then a few thousand on any work needed or enhancements. I guess the resale value would better on the low milage one.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:23 AM

Depends on each individual vehicle, mileage is not the only factor. Some high mileage s2000's can be in better shape than the low mileage ones
Old 07-13-2013, 03:38 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Unfortunately, in the UK we have this OBSESSION with high mileage cars - and this mythical 100k mark where all cars magically spontaneously combust.

People will chop in perfectly working cars because of this ever increasing number on the odo, to then buy a low mileage car under the false assumption it has to be in better condition - WRONG.

Sure, a much higher mileage car may have more worn bushes, suspension components, stone chips etc, but a car with REALLY low mileage (14k in 7 years = 2k a year!) could also have issues; Lots of short journeys, not getting the oil warm enough in the engine, too many cold starts. Or was it just used as someone's track toy / weekend warrior and constantly bounced off the limiter for those 14k miles?

Personally only ever buy on condition and if it's high miles use it as a bargaining chip for money off, if it's low miles you're going to be paying through the nose for it...

Personally I'd look at something with more mileage than that has!

Some of the worst condition cars I've seen / bought were low mileage. Mine is on 40k and the 130k S2000 I viewed was in better condition than mine - even the seats!
Old 07-13-2013, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Riknos
Unfortunately, in the UK we have this OBSESSION with high mileage cars - and this mythical 100k mark where all cars magically spontaneously combust.

People will chop in perfectly working cars because of this ever increasing number on the odo, to then buy a low mileage car under the false assumption it has to be in better condition - WRONG.

Sure, a much higher mileage car may have more worn bushes, suspension components, stone chips etc, but a car with REALLY low mileage (14k in 7 years = 2k a year!) could also have issues; Lots of short journeys, not getting the oil warm enough in the engine, too many cold starts. Or was it just used as someone's track toy / weekend warrior and constantly bounced off the limiter for those 14k miles?

Personally only ever buy on condition and if it's high miles use it as a bargaining chip for money off, if it's low miles you're going to be paying through the nose for it...

Personally I'd look at something with more mileage than that has!

Some of the worst condition cars I've seen / bought were low mileage. Mine is on 40k and the 130k S2000 I viewed was in better condition than mine - even the seats!
Thanks for the useful info. Can the digital mileometer be clocked like any other or are they immune to such practises?
Old 07-13-2013, 05:48 AM
Community Organizer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It can be clocked. On the inner side of the tunel cluster there are 2 plastic caps. In order to get the cluster out for clocking you have to remove these caps to get access to the screws and most possible these plastic caps will have a tiny mark on them from the removal tool. This is a general tip to look for clocked S2000's among other tips.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:10 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

A lot of S2000s seem to go pop around 100k.

Quite a few well over that with no issues.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:29 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

I think condition is important but if you're going to bang miles on its got to be a factor

Mine had 1500 miles on it @18 months old

Most reliable car I have ever owned

Not a huge need to pay a premium though as lots of S2s are low miles
Old 07-13-2013, 12:20 PM

Not going to help at all but mine is a 2000 I bought in 2003, it now has 140k on the clock and still pulls really well. Hasn't been tracked (not that that necessarily makes a difference)
Old 07-13-2013, 04:45 PM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I would get a newer one because its a nicer car IMO. But I prefer newer cars to old.

Have a drive in a few and see which one suits you. Their has been subtle changes over the years, so you may prefer one to the other.

When it comes to buying a car I go on gut instinct and what I've read. Engines do go pop more when the mileage increases, but so do badly treated engines/cars.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by konicky
Is it generally worth paying the premium for low mileage?

I'm going to look at a 2006 S2000 tomorrow which only has 14,000 on the clock at £10,500 ( private sale not trade ).

Just wondering if it would be better to spend 6 or 7 grand on a higher mileage vehicle and then a few thousand on any work needed or enhancements. I guess the resale value would better on the low milage one.
If the car has a full service history then it shows the owner cared for it, therefore I think low mileage cars with full service history are worth the premium. My opinion is miles kills cars, worn suspension, brakes and reduced compression.

Quick Reply: Low mileage