UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Maiden Voyage - Euro Trip 2014

Old 03-02-2014, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mr spoon
Prepare yourself for the heat from the gearbox The noise will get to you if you run long and hard with an after market exhaust for to long, making fuel stops seem a joy apart from the inevitable fuel bills
Fuel is going to be an issue! And I'm unsure how available 97+ Ron is in Europe so a Jerry can may be added to the inventory!

Originally Posted by GaryB
For a pleasure drive I wouldn't be looking at more than about 4hrs a day of driving if you actually want to see and do stuff.
I have only every drove just over 500 miles in my S, only stopping for fuel. It was mostly motorway driving and PI@$!NG with rain all the way! I have got to admit it did get tiring so we are planning to do frequent stops to, A-let the cars rest and B- give our ears, legs a rest. My car is OEM apart from a K&N induction kit so I dont suffer from much exhaust drone! We got a good set of walkie talkies that we will use to hopefully alleviate some boredom

Originally Posted by Sofasleeper
I also visit the Alps each year as part of a motorbike group. See our website for route ideas and distances at www.mountain-rats.co.uk Those routes include all day riding at a high average mph.

If you're in the Black Forest I would definitely drive the B500. Also Andermatt is a great base for all the big Alpine passes; Grimsel, Furka, Susten, Oberalp. All fantastic by S2000 or motorbike!

Enjoy
Thanks for the advise! I will definitely check the website out! I have been looking for good base camp in that area as there's alot we want see and drive in a relatively small footprint. It's looks like camping here for a few days may pay off!

Again, cheers for all the suggestions people! I am venturing into the unknown and this is advice is invaluable!

Old 03-03-2014, 12:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never had any problems sourcing super petrol.
There are a growing number of petrol stations that are unmanned and you pay by credit card, ensure you have a compatible credit card.
Rather than camping, check out the budget hotels like Formula 1. We used to use BB as these had a shower and toilet ensuite.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:11 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Santenay
Rather than camping, check out the budget hotels like Formula 1. We used to use BB as these had a shower and toilet ensuite.
Plus one for that, there's nothing worse than being kept awake through a stormy night then having to drive umpteen miles.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by Santenay
Never had any problems sourcing super petrol.
There are a growing number of petrol stations that are unmanned and you pay by credit card.
Cheers dude, thats good to know about the super! I have bought a CaxtonFX credit card that you add credit to, it gives you a slightly better exchange rate and is compatible across Europe - Supposedly!

Originally Posted by richmc
Originally Posted by Santenay' timestamp='1393839917' post='23042929

Plus one for that, there's nothing worse than being kept awake through a stormy night then having to drive umpteen miles.
B&B's would be better, need to look into it a little more.

I have found a really useful website called AirBnB.co.uk, it's full of B&B's and people houses that rent rooms out on a nightly basis, there looks to be some really nice little apartments you can rent as well.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:37 AM
jml

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Richdavies89
Fuel is going to be an issue! And I'm unsure how available 97+ Ron is in Europe so a Jerry can may be added to the inventory!
Old 03-03-2014, 02:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not B & B but BB.
They are budget hotels part of the Campanile group.
Formula 1 & BB can be found on the internet.
Relatively cheap & a good basic overnight stop over.
If you are near Beaune I can recommend a very good Chamber D'Hote. Let me know.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by jml
Originally Posted by Richdavies89' timestamp='1393806814' post='23042448
Haha! I assume Belgium is good for it then! Maybe I should be more specific, rather than generalise the whole of Europe! - I meant more so the middle of jack nowhere in Switzerland
Old 03-03-2014, 04:51 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Richdavies89
Originally Posted by jml' timestamp='1393846630' post='23042985
[quote name='Richdavies89' timestamp='1393806814' post='23042448']
Haha! I assume Belgium is good for it then! Maybe I should be more specific, rather than generalise the whole of Europe! - I meant more so the middle of jack nowhere in Switzerland
[/quote]
you can drive right through Belgium with the fuel low light on and still make it out the other end.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:59 AM

I drove down to Milan & Lake Como last sept and stopped around Interlaken & Disentis-Munster on the way down/back up.

There's definitely a shell garage at the west end of the Nufenenpass which takes charge cards out of hours (I should know as I was running out of motion lotion around dusk; which was a little worrying at the time).

I can thoroughly recommend the following passes which are reasonably close to each other :-

Furkapass/Nufenenpass/Grimselpass (chased a couple of GT86's up this one but sorry to say I couldn't keep up; started to lose my nerve when a little high speed drifting around the hairpins was called for).

Also the drive from Thusis to Silvaplana/St.Moritz was beautiful as was the drive down through the Maloja Pass

I didn't get as far as the Stelvio as it was somewhat in the wrong direction for me (you also need to be careful as apparently it does get very busy at the wrong times of day).

Also; if you do find yourself in the general area try to head for the Verzasca Dam (also known as the Contra Dam) near Locarno. It's the site of the 007 Goldeneye Bungee Jump. You don't need to book in advance, just turn up and jump.

If you drive in Switzerland you'll need a Vignette. It's like paying for road tax & if you don't have one it's a heavy fine apparently). About 45 swiss francs if I recall correctly and you get a sticker to display on your windscreen.

Would also suggest a European road map aswell as sat-nav. BTW; I found the S to be really comfortable and easy to drive for the whole trip. At the time I wasn't relishing the drive there and back through france (I appreciate you have a different route in mind) but made it home from Interlaken in about 11hrs including eurotunnel.

However; as other's have said it's worth stopping over for a night or so to relax and explore a little.

Hope this helps but if you want any more specific info just drop me a 'pm'.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:53 AM
jml

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by richmc
Originally Posted by Richdavies89' timestamp='1393854096' post='23043114
[quote name='jml' timestamp='1393846630' post='23042985']
[quote name='Richdavies89' timestamp='1393806814' post='23042448']
[/quote]
you can drive right through Belgium with the fuel low light on and still make it out the other end.
[/quote]

Sure as long as you have a jerry can with you...

Quick Reply: Maiden Voyage - Euro Trip 2014