UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Map sensor and Valve clearance questions

Old 04-08-2013, 04:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Map sensor and Valve clearance questions

At the moment ive got my map held in place with a cable tie as when I first got my S it was almost stalling after reving at idle. did my research did the map wack and cable tied it on. fixed it but it still comes back every now and then.

Thought it was about time I replaced it along with the lambda sensor as its on 83k and I presume never been changed. looking on ebay they are between £60-120 so thought oem will be best and it will be the uprated one with the cable tie already attached.

£273!!! I couldn't help but laugh and the guy on the phone thought I was nuts just to start laughing. I wasn't expecting them to be that much... is that right or are my local dealers total rip off mongers?

I have never known a map sensor be that expensive ever and ive bought BMW parts lol.

Secondly I did a compression test on my S as I had puffs of white smoke coming out whilst reversing so instantly thought the worse of head gasket. but no oil and coolant levels haven't moved, nothing is mixing together after a good hard drive to get it up to temp and nice and hot. let it cool checked again and still not moved and no more white smoke whilst reversing.

But I thought best be safe and do a test. results were 253.253.258.263 and ive read magic number is ment to be 240 so higher readings point to carbon build up or valve clearances is this correct? so ive put the white puffs of smoke down to unburnt fuel hence wanting to replace the lambda and map sensors.

but with the high readings and unsure if the clearances have been done before ( full Honda history 90k stamped ) and so are worth doing and how much is this abouts?

sorry for the long essay just wanted to cover all, cheers in advance
Old 04-08-2013, 04:52 AM

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

I can believe that price from UK Honda - and I'm not surprised you laughed down the phone You might get less from somewhere like Si@Hendyperformance or from one of the US dealers that ship here.

The compression figure in the service manual (00-03) suggests testing @ 250rpm (I guess that's about engine cranking speed ?) with wide open throttle readings should be 228 psi with a max. variation of 28psi.

I don't know about carbon build up or valve clearances enough to comment as I've never heard of an engine gaining compression before - but if I was going to opt for one it would be carbon build up - not valve gaps. I'm not sure how you could gain compression with badly adjusted valves.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:03 AM

Il have a look cheers, I did notice when looking that US ones were no more then $80 so even with shipping would be cheaper so might be an option thanks.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:13 AM

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Quite an interesting read in this thread - some opinion seems to suggest 240-255 psi is fine.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:23 AM

I read that thread but didn't read all of it as I just wanted the diy bit, but upon reading it seems my numbers are quite healthy and I shouldn't be worrying about anything

thanks for your help
Old 04-08-2013, 05:31 AM

Just a thought, I keep seeing map sensors saying for b/k/f engines.... are they all the same map sensors? if so is it worth a punt trying to get one from another car if it works out cheaper and Honda are putting a price hike on it because its for the S2K?