UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

MB Goes Racing - Season 3

Old 12-28-2013, 02:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig.h
Good to hear you found the standard calipers good enough!
The standard calipers are definitely enough! The Spoon setup saves you the unsprung weight so is an upgrade for that only.

Completely understand the need to save the cash Mark - looks nice and not a silly big pointless setup either.

Have you done anything with teh rears?
Old 12-28-2013, 02:10 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Hi Craig, it may be Carbotech I'm going for, XP24. That or Performance Friction. Thanks for the best wishes.

Ron, rears are a bit tricky. Updated calipers mostly mean no hand brake, or are too big for my concave face wheels. Cleverly the Stoptech S2000 kit is apparently designed to keep the OEM bias, but either way I've got a bias valve so I can tweak them. The rears on mine are Dixcel setup ATM, but will prob use a matching Carbotech pad.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mark - apologies if covered elsewhere on the forum - you and eSeM (I think) are featured heavily in the latest Practical Performance Car mag if you didn't know in the S2000 article. The "advice" they lend is bollox of course as per.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:08 AM
MB

So I hear! AE asked for some pics a couple of years ago and I think they've used them twice. I had no input into the words though!
Old 12-29-2013, 04:44 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Interesting to hear about the brakes mark because I was going to pull the trigger on front and rear stoptechs!

Tbh it was the next thing on my list but for on the road, it seems I'm best sticking with good tyres, wider wheels (which I have both now) and just some good pads - maybe I should throw the Yellowstuff in the bin?

Cheers
Old 12-29-2013, 05:21 AM

I had green stuff on mine(they were given to me for free)and they were the worst pads I've ever fitted,cold bite was fine,but once you started giving them some abuse they were like wooden blocks lol
I've just fitted pagid rs14's and they feel awesome,the car really pulls to a stop now(still need to do a few more miles though and get a proper feel)they were recommended by my sister, as she has them in her vx220 turbo.the only thing she disliked about them,is they can be noisey(clicking)but that's been solved now.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:38 PM
MB

Steve, yep I don't think anything EBC will ever end up on my car. I've never tired them but they just don't se to get decent reviews. I had Pagid on the GT3, I think RS29 and they felt really dead

I've decided to go for Performance Friction PFC11 on the front. Probably 97 on the rear but I need to check on disc options.

Originally Posted by s2konroids
Interesting to hear about the brakes mark because I was going to pull the trigger on front and rear stoptechs!

Tbh it was the next thing on my list but for on the road, it seems I'm best sticking with good tyres, wider wheels (which I have both now) and just some good pads - maybe I should throw the Yellowstuff in the bin?

Cheers
I don't think you need big brakes, AJ. As you say, tyres and good pads will do the trick.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:35 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks mate.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:31 PM
MB

When I had a meagre 450 bhp the Dixcels felt good enough. Although I had a seized caliper which felt very scary with that sort of power!
Old 12-31-2013, 06:53 AM

Mmm not sure what the difference is between rs14 and rs 29's,they seem to get good reviews with the lotus/vx guys.will stick some more miles on them when the roads are good,and see what there like.

Quick Reply: MB Goes Racing - Season 3