UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Meguiars three step process

Old 05-14-2005, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Meguiars three step process

Step 1 - Deep Crystal paint cleaner

Ok, so I cheated on the first step - perhaps my downfall but i dont think so.

Washed the car with a mild washing liquid solution then gave it a good once over with autoglym non foaming shampoo.

Pretty sure this would have got it as clean as the Step 1 paint cleaner. just wasnt in the mood to pay
Old 05-14-2005, 09:10 AM

i got a bottle of the tech wax instead of the 3rd step stuff.v impressed by the finish.and i missed out the first step too.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:18 AM

Anyone tried this new autoglym deep shine shit yet?

http://www.autoglym.co.uk/agnews/newspages...UDS_Launch.htm#
Old 05-15-2005, 12:24 AM
Banned

Sounds like you had some moisture in the cloth/pads when you removed the crystal polish; it's a real pain in the arse to get those smears off.

Done right the meguiars stuff is good, but if you mix the polish with even the smallest amount of water when applying or removing from the panels you get the smears.

It all takes to long to imo, I need something that looks as good, but doesn't take 4 hours to do.
Old 05-15-2005, 04:51 AM

1. meguiars nxt shampoo
2. dry it
3. meguiars nxt tech wax
4. drive it

doesn't take too long and works a treat

obviously not as perfect a job as some folks fifty-three step processes but if you can't be arsed with that whole shennanigans then i'd recommend the above

inbetween that there's obviously the drying the car, doing the wheels & inside of the car etc but that doesn't take too long either - probably about 2 hours tops.
Old 05-15-2005, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by mark_m,May 14 2005, 09:18 AM
Anyone tried this new autoglym deep shine shit yet?

http://www.autoglym.co.uk/agnews/newspages...UDS_Launch.htm#
Bought some in Hellfrauds today - was running out of the usual Super Resin Polish. The new stuff smells lovely - less "chemical" than the SRP - and left far, far less powdery residue. Easier to apply and remove and did indeed give a quality deep shine, although I did finish the job with the Extra Gloss Protection.

It didn't deal with the swirls, as the press release indicated it would. Anyone know how to?

I find I always have to polish the car as I just can't get rid of all the watermarks after washing and drying.

My last car (Astra GSI Turbo) was pearlescent blue - I could use the Extra Gloss without polishing every time.

Anyone know the secret?
Old 05-15-2005, 01:59 PM
mec

never could get the hang of the polish too, always comes out a bit greasy. I think you have to put a very very thin layer on. I prefer nxt tech wax for ease, great results, but doesn't imho last as long as carnauba wax and attracts dust.

If there is a way to get the same without polishing heck i wanna know about it!?
Old 05-16-2005, 12:30 AM

Nick, you got it all wrong with the Stage 1. Its not a shampoo, it works very well to remove oxidisation and other crap (inc swirls) to provide an excellent base for polishing and waxing. IMO you missed the most important stage.

The problem with Meguiars is that although the products produce great results they aren't easy to apply and remove - its very tiring. I have got all 3 stages, but I have changed to the following, which is the equivalent of the Meg's 3 stage:

1. Clearkote Vanilla Moose Handglaze
2. Poorboys EX Sealent
3. P21S Carnuba wax

The same results (longer lasting) with half the effort. P21S can be applied in driect sunlight and is a doddle to apply and remove. Takes me <20mins to do the whole car.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:15 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

That greasy stuff is old residue:

To avoid it, you need to use the Meg's instant detailer & gay bar. Quickest way of surface prepping the car.

I did the Civic a couple of weeks back, had no problem with the finish. The 1st two coats went on & came off totally cleanly.

I used Collinite wax & the Supersonic Blue looked like flip paint! Not bad for a 5 Y/O car!
Old 05-16-2005, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by moff,May 16 2005, 09:30 AM
1. Clearkote Vanilla Moose Handglaze
2. Poorboys EX Sealent
3. P21S Carnuba wax

The same results (longer lasting) with half the effort. P21S can be applied in driect sunlight and is a doddle to apply and remove. Takes me <20mins to do the whole car.
You can in fact apply all three products in direct sunlight which is a bonus.

The best way to use the Deep Crystal Polish is to apply it thin, after letting it haze remove the top layer and do the rest of the car. Now the remaining oils will have formed a new hazed surface. Remove it again and you are done. Think of it as skin on a pudding as it cools down and you get a fresh layer soon after. HTH

Come to the meet on 18 June if you are interested in finding out more.

Quick Reply: Meguiars three step process