UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Monsuier Plod and dashborad gadgets!

Old 11-19-2002, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monsuier Plod and dashborad gadgets!

After much debate about where to go for a few days of winter sunshine, the wife thinking Dubai, Canary Islands, me thinking VTEC
, we setled on a "comfortable" Gite in Normandy on the the strict assumption we would go somewhere warmer next year, (you can drive to Italy in 12hrs)

Anyhow to cut long story short we arrived at one of the tolls on the A13. Had been driving swiftly in beautiful conditions, paid the toll and there was Plod plus friend beckoning me over.

Having covered the last inter toll at "grand vitesse" I was slightly apprehensive. After handing over all documents Jean Plod junior spotted the cradle for my geodessy and went bouncing back to his boss.

Further palpitiations and a swift converation in my best GCSE Franglais had me trying to explain the relative differences between RADAR detectors and GPS locators. Ten minutes later after inspecting it they just waved me on.

If your going to France leave your dash top gear at home.

Speeding its not big and not clever but sometimes get you home earlier and usually jolly good fun. And i'd never condone it
Old 11-19-2002, 12:38 PM

Blimey - did they pick up on just the cradle ?
Was the unit installed at the time ?
Old 11-19-2002, 12:42 PM

Yup they pulled me over just after the peage for no apparant reason. There was very little traffic around, maybe they were bored.

The device was in the top compartment.
Old 11-19-2002, 01:33 PM

I've just bought a GPS reradiating antenna so that my geodesy can be mounted under dash. The dash was was getting a bit full with Geodesy, Bel 550, Garmin V, and tweeters.

The antenna was approx. 50 quid.

Chris
Old 11-19-2002, 02:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be careful guys, the Gendarmarie have been known to give you a straight choice between getting the gear confiscated+ nicked or just invite you drive over it! If it's not really really stealth, leave it at home, the fwenchies have no sense of humour on the subject at all!
Old 11-19-2002, 11:23 PM

And remove any bits of velcro on the dash or if you have something windscreen mounted, clean the windscreen after you remove it. Possibly apocryphal but I heard of someone who had their car searched for a radar detector just because they had sucker marks on the windscreen.

potfish
Old 11-19-2002, 11:46 PM
R33

My friend and I had our radar detectors confiscated in France a few years ago. I was parked at services and the copper spotted just the tiny bracket in the window and they searched my car and found my detector. My friend had no sign of a detector in his car but just because he was with me they searched his car and found his detector. They also wanted to fine us
Old 11-20-2002, 12:00 AM

as soon as they see a GB sticker on the car - it is an open invitation to pull you over, l

somebody should put a test case to EU court stating infringement of human rights etc... how can driving slowly because a device gives you some advice be wrong? you are preventing crime with this device.

In Japan they have taken the sensible option, they are openly sold in regular shops and displayed in virtually everycar - the new ones even tell you if there is a policecar parked around the corner (no idea how that works).
Old 11-20-2002, 12:20 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kobe
[B]somebody should put a test case to EU court stating infringement of human rights etc...
Old 11-20-2002, 01:13 AM

The Road Angel is useless once you cross the channel as its data are UK cameras and blackspots only. As others have said here, carrying a radar detector in a vehicle in France is illegal and, if found, the device will be confiscated and destroyed, plus you will probably be fined.

To be honest, I doubt if some French police would care whether a Road Angel was a radar detector or not; to some of those guys, if it looks like one then it is one. And what are you going to do when confronted by two or three local Gendarmerie carrying guns?.... Complain to their boss? Take them to the European Court of Human Rights? I don't think so!

Having said all that, when I go, I disconnect my kit in the Chunnel, and then put the RA and my detector inside some cleaning cloths inside a carrier bag, with several other bags full of cleaning materials, which I stuff into the area behind the trim, around and next to the spare wheel.

Quick Reply: Monsuier Plod and dashborad gadgets!