UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

MOT or service first?

Old 09-10-2018, 06:18 AM

Received 71 Likes on 61 Posts

I've had some recent experience with my dealer where there were "hidden extras". Not with the S yet but with the CRV. Basically fluid changes (diff) and fuel filter that were not included in the service schedule but we're described as "things some owners ask us to do". When I pushed for whether they ought to be done I was met with a 'yes, we recommend you do have them done' response which confused me somewhat. Surely if they need to be done they should be in the schedule. Not sure if this is the type of thing Nottm is talking about but worth keeping an eye on if you want to continue with the Honda main dealer service history.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
Mine was too and I tend to agree but when I went through my history the approach was pretty random (unless they didn't bill me for stuff) rather than following guidance

I do my SC one myself and decided to do the NA one from this year just because there was no evidence of coolant or MT fluid ever being touched
Sorry what is sc and na?
Old 09-10-2018, 06:47 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

It's like the famous windscreen washer fluid, I always topped it up before I went, always had to get them take it off the bill, that's just one thing the main dealer charged and didn't do! My local independent has his own schedule that I'm happy with told me "you are a petrol head if you want the diff and box fluid done just ask, we don't grease the hinges every service either just when they need it"

Brailer "I know it is high. The car has been serviced at Honda all its life. Shame to stop it now really." most buyers would rather see a known good independent do the work than a main dealer.

L.G. "
Service, as they check most things in the MOT as a part of that." like the main dealer I specifically asked can you check and do the usual MOT stuff during the service beforehand only to be told it failed the MOT on headlight alignment and charged for a retest, I never went back there.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:50 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by andy2000
I've had some recent experience with my dealer where there were "hidden extras". Not with the S yet but with the CRV. Basically fluid changes (diff) and fuel filter that were not included in the service schedule but we're described as "things some owners ask us to do". When I pushed for whether they ought to be done I was met with a 'yes, we recommend you do have them done' response which confused me somewhat. Surely if they need to be done they should be in the schedule. Not sure if this is the type of thing Nottm is talking about but worth keeping an eye on if you want to continue with the Honda main dealer service history.
I would have told them to strike that off the bill as they weren't asked for and not on the schedule, with that sort of attitude how can you trust they did the work at all?
Old 09-10-2018, 07:18 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by Brailer
Sorry what is sc and na?
sorry, i have a modded one which is supercharged (SC), bought that as a project/tinker toy a few years ago and always intended to service it myself, it's not very standard so not really suited to a Honda dealer. The NA one i have is fairly standard and was looked after by Honda from 2002-2017.

what annoyed me was it appeared the brake fluid was done 3 times in 4 years (itemised), diff fluid was missed (or not itemised) 3 times, transmission fluid was never done, coolant never done..

it's changed my view on "full honda service history"

Old 09-10-2018, 08:00 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

I've had a look at the MOT history for my old car and it was failed twice, once for low brake pads and once for a drop link, so it looks like they MOT first, then service and fix everything. It was passed on the same day in the former case, and a few days after in the latter (presumably there was a wait for parts).

The service schedule followed was the Euro 9,000 as published in the FAQ here.

My most recent service and MOT was £265, which included a brake fluid change. I'm tied to Honda servicing as I still have a warranty in place in case of MY09 engine problems.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:28 AM

Received 247 Likes on 212 Posts

We would service first, this may pick up anything that could cause an mot fail and can be rectified before the test, if something is severe and cannot be repaired the same day the test is cancelled until all is done.