UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

My brakes failed while driving !

Old 03-08-2014, 01:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ABS light doesn't come on when the ABS works!

A rough road surface can do horrible things to the ABS,which you can feel by the way the pedal kind of crumbles. You might have boiled the fluid, but then it goes much more spongey.
Old 03-08-2014, 02:11 AM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

ABS is very good on these cars, if your only just locking up the brakes then you can barely tell its working. On my old cars the whole dash would shake when ABS engaged but in the S2000 its very smooth. It sometimes feels like it kicks in quite early but then im sure a computer designed to detect wheel lock is far quicker at processing the information than my brain is.
Old 03-08-2014, 04:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never had this on my S2000, but I did have it happen on my Smart car, and the fault there was the reluctor rings: the castellated rings which allow the ABS sensor to know whether the wheel is locking. On the Smart, those rings are well known for corroding and so sending a false signal to the sensor, and making the ABS cut in even in gentle braking conditions. The solution was energetic: I had to remove the drive shafts, chisel off the corroded rings from the ends of each shaft, then heat up new rings with a blowtorch and hammer them on. I don't have any experience of how the ABS sensors might work/fail on the S2000 but as I say, I'd be investigating that based on what you have described.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:08 AM

Had it up on a ramp and rear discs and pads need replacing . They are basically shot to pieces so might b the reason for the lack of stopping I felt.

Brake fluid, lines etc seemed fine so hopefully it's just the discs and pads .

Whilst up on the ramp the offside rear Anti roll bar link was dettached so will need that replacing too...any ideas on cost to replace these ?

Local garage quoting £258 for the rear discs and pads , is that about right??
Old 03-08-2014, 10:42 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

OEM discs and pads from Cox's would be £140 and doesn't seem like 2+ hours labour to me. I did mine with help from a fellow on here and I'm useless with a spanner.

http://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/2000-...7_434_687.html
Old 03-08-2014, 11:33 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

Rear discs and pads are cheap. It took me less than 2hrs. You should always clean everything and grease the sliders etc

Your fronts are doing all the work. Need to find out what caused the issue
Old 03-09-2014, 12:08 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by westlondonsun
Had it up on a ramp and rear discs and pads need replacing . They are basically shot to pieces so might b the reason for the lack of stopping I felt.

Brake fluid, lines etc seemed fine so hopefully it's just the discs and pads .

Whilst up on the ramp the offside rear Anti roll bar link was dettached so will need that replacing too...any ideas on cost to replace these ?

Local garage quoting £258 for the rear discs and pads , is that about right??
It's not going to be the rear discs and pads that caused the issue, you even said yourself you pulled the handbrake to stop - that clearly shows they were doing their job! You need to keep investigating.

£258 is too much, you can get the parts for half that and do it yourself - just youtube it, discs and pad changes are easy.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wouldn't be much more than 100 to do the rears yourself so 258 is way too much.

Like above I doubt that's your problem so there must be something else wrong..
Old 03-10-2014, 12:19 AM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Strange symptoms - have you been able to get it to happen again ? The rears can't have been too low otherwise they'd have been screeching with the wear indicator device.

While you're looking at them check all calipers for binding, I bet you have one or more that are stuck
Old 03-11-2014, 10:40 AM

I reckon the OP hit the clutch pedal

Quick Reply: My brakes failed while driving !