UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

My S2000 is BRILLIANT!

Old 08-17-2009, 01:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink My S2000 is BRILLIANT!

Just thought I'd pop this up, but this weekend I have driven around 320 miles in the S, almost all of it on fantastic flowing A and B roads, sometimes empty, other times a bit congested, and throughout the S2000 has been brilliant!

Happy pottering along behind dosy caravans and horseboxes in 6th, but coming totally alive during the numerous 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear VTEC overtakes! I visited Donington Park twice this weekend to see a friend race her Aston in the GT Cup, and parked up in the pits amongst all the Porsche's and M-Power beemers, the S didn't even look out of place, and was even getting a few looks from passers by - I love that about the S, the rarity.

I so rarely get to drive it how it's meant to be driven these days that this weekend really bought home what a fantastic car it is. With the geometry set up correctly, the handling is nothing short of superb - yes it can get a little wallowy when really pressing on, but these are public roads and by the time this becomes really apparent then it's really time to back off IMO. The seats are great, I had the roof down all weekend and with the lid off the airbox the VTEC sounds incredible.

It's weird, because I usually change cars pretty often, 12 months being the longest I've ever owned a car and I really thought the novelty of the S would wear off, yet here I am almost a year into ownership and I'm enjoying it more and more, learning more about driving than any other car has taught me, having more fun and for once I'm genuinely not lining up a replacement in my head!

So there we go, the S2000 is just brilliant and the only time I can see me swapping mine is for a newer model one day! Until then, I'm just going to keep on enjoying it
Old 08-17-2009, 02:02 AM

Mike I smiled as I read your post because I can SO identify with your joy of driving the S. I maintain that my best decision in the last 3 years was the one to buy an S! Although my car is a daily drive, I still get as much as of a kick out of driving it as you do, from the sounds of things!

Nice one - long may it continue!
Old 08-17-2009, 02:08 AM

Yep, mine is my daily driver too - it's the practcial alternative to my motorbike for me! I think I had got into a habit of driving the car to work and back, then getting on the bike for fun, but this weekend has just been fantastic in it!

Gonna treat it to a service early now, just becasue it deserves it
Old 08-17-2009, 02:26 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Think it probably takes a year to learn how to drive the thing properly; it requires a bit of practice to keep it on the boil and 'dab of oppo' out of tight corners in second.

They are quite addictive - I sometimes refer to mine as a CBR2000!
Old 08-17-2009, 02:42 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

I've had mine for 5 years and am still learning to drive it. 'Dab of oppo' is still beyond me, but driving it near to, but not exceeding, that point is where the real skill lies

You post pretty much sums up my enjoyment of the car. The only thing I can see replacing mine it is another one.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:44 AM

Great post

I know what you mean though... I usually get bored of cars too, but drove 2 S2000's over a 5 year period and 70000 glorious miles.

Still miss it, but I had a great time!
Old 08-17-2009, 03:01 AM

hey mike should have given me a call would have come with you ! im not around to make the ricky run this weekend but why not come over to the oxford meet tonight !!
Old 08-17-2009, 03:05 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm sure you "oppo'd" when we were at Spa, Simon
Old 08-17-2009, 03:07 AM
UK Moderator

Originally Posted by MB,Aug 17 2009, 12:05 PM
I'm sure you "oppo'd" when we were at Spa, Simon
Ah yes, at Pouhon, at around 80mph, accompanied by an "Oh Faaark!"

I'm fine doing it in that situation, where there's a large amount of run-off to allow for talent shortfall, but not on the roads, where there isn't
Old 08-17-2009, 03:08 AM
UK Moderator

Originally Posted by tomkbucks,Aug 17 2009, 12:01 PM
hey mike should have given me a call would have come with you ! im not around to make the ricky run this weekend but why not come over to the oxford meet tonight !!
Ricky run is in a fortnight - 30th.

Quick Reply: My S2000 is BRILLIANT!