UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

My S2000 "Lucy"

Old 07-03-2023, 06:46 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Installation of Reverse Camera and Dash camera

Objective:
I wanted to enhance the security and rear visibility of my Honda S2000 by installing a dashcam and reversing camera. It's important to note that my self imposed primary rule for this car is that any modifications I make must be easily reversible, meaning no drilling or cutting unless absolutely necessary.

Equipment Used:
  • WolfBox G840s dash camera : £50
  • Ultra flat Mini USB cable - £4.23
  • Hardwire Kit - £7.41
  • USB Type A Female to Mini USB Female £2.89
Tools Needed
  • Pry tools
  • 10mm Socket
  • Philips and Flathead Screwdrivers
  • A way to splice the rear reverse light wire - I used high quality T-taps and soldered the connection for additional strength

Dashcam Details:
The dashcam I used is a WolfBox G840s, which I purchased brand new from Cash Converters for £50. I chose it as it has a full screen display and when the car is put into reverse, the camera automatically switches to the rear view and displays parking assist lines. This model also has a GPS unit that shows location and speed. The rear camera's night-time visibility is not the best due to it being an older model but I am satisfied with it, especially considering the price.

Problem 1: Overcoming Challenges with the Stock USB Power Supply
During the installation, I encountered a problem with the USB power supply from the hardwire kit. It was hitting the overhead light housing, which prevented the mirror from being adjusted.
To resolve this, I bought an ultra-flat mini USB cable and a female-to-female USB to Mini USB adapter. The hardline power adapter plugs into one side of this setup, and the ultra-flat cable on the other. This then fit neatly into the trim by the overhead light, allowing the mirror to adjust properly and being out of sight.

Reverse Camera Mounting:
To mount the camera, I utilised the license plate light holes to thread the cable towards the rear left brake light. I loosened the brake light just enough to pass the cable through. The cable was then routed behind the boot liner, past the petrol tank, through the bottom of the vented panel, under the kickplate, up the pillar, and across to the dashcam. This ensured no cables were left dangling and resulted in a neat installation. The camera itself is mounted with some outdoor double sided tape - I will see how it holds up over time.

Hardwiring Kit:
The hardwire kit and necessary cables, were installed neatly and securely. The hardwire kit runs inline with the accessory socket fuse on the driver's side, passing through the back of the radio and up the A-pillar. This ensures it's only on when the car is on and doesn't kill the battery over time. Some more expensive hardwire kits or dashcams have inbuilt batteries to allow for a parking mode, but as it spends most of it's life on my driveway with the doorbell camera on it this wasn't necessary in my case

Final thoughts:
The camera works fantastic with the roof up. I've discovered the display has the ability to show only the clock which is how I have it set up most of the time when driving normally. The reflective coating for when the display is off is darker than a normal mirror but is sufficient for outdoor use - but you do get a slight doubling of some lights. Knowing in the event of an accident I'd have speed, location, time and front and rear views is reassuring too!

The entire process took me a few hours. If there's interest, I'll set aside some time to make a quick video showing it in more detail

Reversing camera - I've since mounted it slightly further back

Front Camera View

Rear view - can be adjusted up and down by dragging on the screen

The following users liked this post:
nomadicS2k (07-03-2023)
Old 07-03-2023, 11:55 PM

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

That looks pretty good - and a decent price aswell! Triple that on Amazon!
The following users liked this post:
HazzJC (07-04-2023)