UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

MY08 Diff onto a MY07

Old 08-31-2013, 04:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY08 Diff onto a MY07

Hello everyone,

As the title suggests.. I'm looking at having to replace the diff on my MY07 and have sourced a MY08 diff at a breakers yard, however I know next to bugger all about these things and could do with some advice.

First of all, will it fit and work; the breakers tell me that they themselves have been told by various Honda dealers that Honda made some internal changes to the 08+ diff, however, they tell me it will still fit the car no problem and that the alterations were all internal to how the diff works?

Secondly, They also offered the driveshafts; Mine have 100k miles on them now and this car has 18k miles on it, would it be prudent to take the driveshafts at the same time? Would they fit an MY07 Car etc etc.

Thirdly, The diff is still on the smashed up S2000 at the breakers; I've been told to give them an advance phone call and that they'd take it off the car and have it ready for collection; Is there a way to tell a MY08 diff casing from the MY07 or earlier? (I'm slightly distrustful of breakers and want to know I'm not actually buying a MY99 diff with 150k miles on it so could do with knowing what to look for)

Fourthly.. What sort of money should I be paying for a MY08 diff from a car with 18k miles on it; I asked for the whole unit, so the outer casing with all the gubbins inside it?

Any other advice/pointers from anyone would be greatly appreciated as I'm a bit out of my depth with this and it's a breakers who, lets just say, most likely wont be giving me any kind of warranty or guarantees.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 08-31-2013, 05:10 AM
MIP

I'd be interested to know what those diff alterations where. The only changes to the diff I'm aware of are the strengthened components they used in the 2004+ facelift cars.

And yes, I'd take the drive shafts. Get some new hub nuts at the same time, and make sure when they're replaced, they're torqued up to higher than oem torque as per:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/929...e-nut-tsb-diy/
Old 08-31-2013, 07:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check if there's a different part number on lings.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-31-2013, 01:34 PM

The Lings part numbers appear to be the same for both MY07 and MY08 diffs so it seems they are indeed the same, thanks Loftust, good thinking.

Thanks also Mip, Perhaps the breaker was wrong and he meant there was a difference between 04 and on.. I'll speak to my local Dealer who will be fitting it anyway and make sure that this diff will be ok before buying it.

btw I'm only guessing this is the diff after the dealer suggested it but on reading Mips link to Billmans hub nut link I'm now wondering if it might be something to do with that.. basically it started as a creaking at the rear when braking but has now turned into a loud clicking sound; its in on Monday for investigation anyway.

Thanks for your suggestions and help chaps.

cheers,
Dan
Old 08-31-2013, 02:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dan, do a search on YouTube for knackered S2000 diff's as the noise is very distinctive! I would hazard a guess its just your hub nuts so it will save you a hell of a lot of money if you get I looked at before purchasing anything new. £10 on hub nuts is a big difference compared to £100's on a replacement diff and driveshafts.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Floppy
Dan, do a search on YouTube for knackered S2000 diff's as the noise is very distinctive! I would hazard a guess its just your hub nuts so it will save you a hell of a lot of money if you get I looked at before purchasing anything new. £10 on hub nuts is a big difference compared to £100's on a replacement diff and driveshafts.
Thanks Floppy, I'll do as you suggest and hopefully it's just this nut that needs replacing/tightening as you say. I looked at Lings at the cost of a new Diff and they are over 5 grand which there's no way I'd pay; the breakers are suggesting around £350 but if it's the hub nut or something else the obviously that's a lot easier and cheaper.

The reason the dealer suggested the diff was actually due to what I simply put down to the clutch sound that the car has always made under deceleration which is that kind of mild buzz/mechanical sound but I explained to them that it had done this from day 1 when I bought the car over 5 years ago with only 1000 miles on it.

I'd brought the car in to them because the exhaust is starting to sound chavvy as though it has a crack or the metal is simply thinned so much that there is a drone now at 4krpm, on picking the car up they were suggesting not to worry about the exhaust but that they thought the diff or gearbox might have an issue, then the following day this clicking starts at the rear of the car?

When I take it in tomorrow I'll suggest the hub nut thing,

Thanks again,
Dan
Old 09-01-2013, 02:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are no differences in MY07 and MY08 diffs. All the facelift diffs are similar.