UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

mysteryjedi's S2000...

Old 08-22-2019, 10:02 AM

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts
Default mysteryjedi's S2000...

Hello and welcome to my thread! I suspect this is going to be more of a diary for me rather than an epic build thread for you all to coo over but I'll try and upload some pictures, because we all like pictures right?

So I picked up my JDM 99 S2K on 1 August. It's got just over 66K miles on it and had the last owner for 14 or 16 years. It came will all MOTs and tax discs and a load of receipts, and some Japanese documentation. She’s standard apart from an ‘uprated’ sports clutch, a Cobra alarm and a different stereo (which allowed me to dig out an ipod I haven’t listened to for 10 years!).

She's been bought as a funday/Sunday car for me to tinker with as I've still got my daily driver to use. Not entirely sure what the end product will be (do we ever reach the end?) but part of the fun is the tinkering! She might get a wee run out at Knockhill in due course but there are a few jobs to check off the list before then!

As well as wanting to spend some time behind the wheel, I also wanted to take her for a decent run as she'd only done 200 miles between her MOT in 2018 and 19, and another 400 the year before that so took her down to my sister’s near Preston for the weekend. I also managed to book some time in at Vtecdirect in Winsford who used to look after an Accord Type R I had a few years ago. Ben looked her over and, other than a bit of rust on the normal places, reckoned she looked sound! The brake and clutch fluid was flushed cos it was black, the throttle cable was adjusted, the clutch slave cylinder was given a clean & grease and all that immediately made things feel a bit more taught behind the wheel! Also chucked in a new air filter while there. Gonna head back down later in the year to get the TCT and valve clearances done (and possibly do an upgrade or two too…)

Other than the servicing and maintenance stuff, there are a few things I definitely want to do so have been on the classifieds and ebay etc. First thing I did was pick up a registration plate. I'm 20 years late to the party so most good ones are long gone but managed to get my initials. I know it's an S2000 not an S200 but nevermind...

Also decided I wanted to upgrade the brakes and after lurking on here read about the Accord Type R front brake upgrade so bought some callipers on ebay. Callipers arrived and were pretty minging so set about cleaning them up. I was originally just gonna give them a coat of hammerite and bolt them on but they didn’t seem to be moving very freely so pulled out the pistons and seals. At that point I was thinking about getttng a refurb kit and doing them myself but there was a bit of corrosion inside so they've been stripped fully and are going to Bigg Red to be sandblasted, painted blue (probably) and rebuilt. When they're back I'll put new discs and DS2500 pads on, and braided hoses too probably. Might get a master cylinder brace too…

While trying to find wheels online I found some 30mm lowering springs on late model standard shocks pretty cheap locally so picked them up too (complete with extra underseal!). Upon investigation I've noticed that there appears to be a captive nut thing missing from one of the fronts, and one from the rears. Anyone seen this before? Am I being naïve to think I can use a suitable nut instead of the captive nut..?

Next jobs for me – more cleaning, find wheels, change the stereo, spray suspension bolts with easing fluid,

Other servicing stuff to do – gearbox oil, diff oil, spark plugs.

Oh and check out the card my colleagues gave me....

Thanks for reading :-)
The following 2 users liked this post by mysteryjedi:
Fellblade (08-22-2019), Paul Reid (02-08-2021)
Old 08-22-2019, 10:55 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

It's not due new spark plugs till 72K believe it or not, it's in the Honda service schedule.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:11 PM

Received 355 Likes on 330 Posts

Get a nut welded on the shock,think its a bigger hole on one side.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:11 PM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Welcome fella, good read and congrats on your purchase!

The missing captive nut is usually down to some womble thinking it’s an actual nut and trying to undo it (usually with an impact gun) to which point it promptly shears off!
Old 08-22-2019, 11:54 PM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

fun and good cars to tinker with imo

enjoy..people will read the thread
Old 08-23-2019, 01:24 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by richmc
It's not due new spark plugs till 72K believe it or not, it's in the Honda service schedule.
Not correct. Plugs are meant to be changed every 54k miles or 72 months. You can find the service schedule in the FAQ.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Not correct. Plugs are meant to be changed every 54k miles or 72 months. You can find the service schedule in the FAQ.
the latter being the key for most of these cars now. not many doing 9k miles a year i imagine.

if you dont know when they were last replaced change em imo. the engine in these things is so expensive to replace or rebuild it warrants looking after. not that my Honda dealer ever paid attention to the schedule.
Old 08-23-2019, 11:32 AM

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Hey! I did 8.5k over the last year and 4 track days - some of us still use 'em
Old 08-23-2019, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Fellblade
Hey! I did 8.5k over the last year and 4 track days - some of us still use 'em

i said most .. my 2001 was in the body shop for (quite) a few months so it did 553 miles in total between services

most i ever did was a few miles under 7k so it did used to get used (2003!) .. point is i still follow the time on the schedule but i do all the servicing myself and it's never on mileage now
Old 08-25-2019, 03:52 AM

Received 247 Likes on 212 Posts

Since spark plugs are in vogue here, are oe still the recommended choice for road use?Going to do mine again and searched threads and got so many threads.

Quick Reply: mysteryjedi's S2000...