UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Near miss.....

Old 01-19-2010, 02:00 PM
Banned

Received 131 Likes on 119 Posts

Dozy cow, whatever the actual wording everyone knows you don't slam the anchors on at any time unless you really have to.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you and me both matey....would have been a dark day....

Put it this way....she VERY nearly caused a collision so according to the code, should have carried on and not stopped irrespective of what i had in mind....

I would have considered myself to be too close to stop safely (not have to mash the middle pedal) so she certainly should not have....ended up way over the stop line and on the RAB, my front bumer was probably at the stop line after my emergency effort!!

Thats how I saw it anyway....

Glad to have come away unscathered however....

bet she has witnessed a few accidents that one!
Old 01-19-2010, 02:27 PM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

I did something similar to you on Sunday here

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s...001725&t=k&z=19

I was where the white lorry is (3 o'clock) and was going to take the first exit. There was a car in the left hand lane coming from the exit to my right (12 o'clock), no indicators of course. I assumed he was going to take his first exit (2 o'clock), and began to pull onto the roundabout. Of course, he was actually taking the same exit as me, so I had to brake hard.

I could argue it was his fault for not indicating and being in the wrong lane, but it's my responsibility to give way, so I waved an apology and waited for another gap...
Old 01-20-2010, 12:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AFAIK the law of the land says it’s ALWAYS your fault if you crash into the back of someone.
It’s quite hard to argue the point, even if the person in front stopped suddenly for no reason, even if they started to move then braked.. I guess even if their brake lights aren’t working… you should be aware of their position and make sure you don’t crash into them.

Of course, the law of the land and common sense sometimes contradict each other.
Try walking down a busy high street or up a busy flight of stairs and then stop walking for no apparent reason – see if the people around you consider you to be to blame.

Speaking of lights though – I jumped an Amber the other day. I was pushing my luck a bit but I knew there was a delay before the other guys got a green and I was sure I’d be ok, besides I didn’t want to have to wait for the lights to cycle through again .. we’ve all done it. Of course, I was quite surprised to see 3 other cars come across after me.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:29 AM

I think a lot of people don't understand that the lights change slower on faster roads. You often see people on dual carrigways doing a panic stop from 70mph when they see the amber light because they assume it changes at the same rate as on a 30 mph road.

I'm sure we've all had a few near misses like this. But it's still the fault of the driver behind if there's a collision. The highway code quote says you can choose to cross the line on amber if it's to avoid a collision, not that you must, and so doesn't imply in any way that somebody who stops for amber is at any fault if there is a collision.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:30 AM

Your both weapons - lady for being indecisive an anchoring up and you for owning a white car.

HTH
Old 01-20-2010, 01:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This type of incident is all too common. The problem is we tend to anticipate the person in front would behave the same as we would in the same situation (not so). I'm always careful to make sure I'm looking ahead and not to my right when entering a roundabout.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:13 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by phil121081,Jan 19 2010, 11:09 PM
bet she has witnessed a few accidents that one!
Probably not. I bet she didn't even notice you behind her. She may cause a load of near misses but i bet she's not aware of any of them.

But the message in this is leave a bigger gap to allow for muppets who do the unexpected.

Much as she may have done something that you perceive to be stupid, the onus is on you to leave sufficient gap for you to stop if she does and if you'd hit her it would have been your fault.

Anyway, you didn't. So as you say you'd obviously left a gap that was just sufficient.

I agree with your comments about common sense being used in relation to amber lights. I went through an amber yesterday afternoon when the people on either side of me were emergency stopping because there was a police car nearby. He didn't follow me so he was either busy or agreed with my assessment that it was safer not to stop.