UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

New timing chain? TCT related.

Old 03-29-2010, 05:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up New timing chain? TCT related.

Hi all!

Just wanted peoples feedback with anyone who has had their Timing Chain Tensioner (TCT) or Timing Chain replaced and if so, has it been a permanent fix so far? How long has your S2000 been running since the fix has been in place?

The reason I ask is because 12 months ago, I had my TCT replaced as I was getting the dreaded ticking sound that is so evident in these forums and on youtube. I was going to the Nürburgring track with 48 hours of getting the TCT fixed, so I only had the TCT replaced and not the timing chain (would have taken too long). Nürburgring was an amazing experience BTW.

Once the TCT was fitted the ticking stopped and the car ran great for 12 months (still does). However 1 week ago the ticking has come back. It's only evident when the engine is hot and at idle. The sound does dissipated after a 1 minute or so at idle also. It also doesn't tick all the time, but mostly. I've checked the oil which is at max and I have been really critical since my TCT was replaced.

My next step was to get a quote from Honda (also where my previous TCT was fitted and also where I get the servicing and MOTs done) to get a quote and obviously they put down all the parts would potentially need to be replaced. This came to £1250!

The quote included "Guide, C-chain", "Arm Comp, C-cha", "Tens Comp, C-Ch", Chain, Oil, Gasket cement and labour. I guess that "cha" and "ch" are "Chain" but because it's on an invoice it's been cut sort. I understand this is probably worse case, but Honda recommends these parts to be replaced for a proper job to be done.

Anyway, I've been reading other topics around here and on the net and have come to the conclusion that quote should finally fix this annoying ticking issue – for good!

Is it worth replacing all the required parts or only certain ones? Which are more prone to wear?

I did mention; if I do get the job done that I would want to keep all the parts that have been replaced on my car for further reference of which got an odd reaction. Hell, if it it's going to cost me that much money I want to see any damage that was caused. That way, if the tick returns then I can make an educated guess and hopefully inform others who may be having the same problem.

Sorry, for going on so long...

So, has anyone else been in this situation? What did you do? Bite the bullet and replaced all parts quoted? Was it successful? Has the tick returned? Did you have other issues as a result of the work done?

Thanks, but this does seem a common problem on S2000s even though Honda doesn’t want to admit it and because it’s a lot of money I just want to get the feel for things… Either way - £1250 is a small price to pay compared to a new engine.

Cheers.
Keith.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:50 AM

I was thinking of starting a thread on similar lines. I had my TCT replaced last July and the characteristic ticking has just returned.

I was quoted a similar figure to you by Honda for the work they considered necessary to cure the problem. I was advised on here that they were trying to rip me off and that just a new TCT was required. I bought a TCT from AE that came wrapped in an unopened plastic pack with the Honda part number on it and Tom at TGM fitted it for me when he replaced my clutch.

Am wondering now if Honda might have been right about the work that they suggested.

I don't really know what to do next so I will read the responses to your query with interest. My car is running well too.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:55 AM

No responses yet.

Maybe people think this thread is just another about TCT replacement. They might not realise that we are talking about the possibility of replacing the whole nine yards.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by Mistress Quickly,Mar 30 2010, 10:55 AM
They might not realise that we are talking about the possibility of replacing the whole nine yards.
I'm not sure the timing chain is really that long.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:11 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Ask eSeM, he has done some further work related to this, which seems to be a more permanent fix.

Alternatively, I expect Rob at Garage-R would be able to do similar work to that quoted, but for a lot less.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:56 AM

I changed mt TCT twice within 6 months and eventually changed the timing chain. Didn't cost as much as I thought it was going to cost, thought at first the cylinder head would have to come off to change the chain and change the cylinder head gasket and carbon seals, but he managed to change the chain by feeding the chain through.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:57 AM

Think it only cost about £400 instead of over a grand
Old 03-30-2010, 06:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was getting the ticking coming back a year or so after replacing the TCT had made it all lovely and quiet. I won't tell you what happened next, because it'll just scare people.

I also didn't understand why it couldn't be done by feeding the chain through, which ought to be pretty straightforward. I helped my Dad do it on a Lancia Fulvia once.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:38 AM

I've had to replace mine twice (about a year apart), in fact it's probably been in for about a year now this time.

IIRC there was a thread ages ago that said that the second Gen TCT's seemed to keep having this problem, lots of info on States side as well.

I'd rather replace the TCT every year for £100 than pay out over a grand (unless of course there is an underlying issue that's going to go bang )
Old 03-30-2010, 06:40 AM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

£100 is way too much

Quick Reply: New timing chain? TCT related.