UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

New tyres fitted.....but...

Old 05-28-2015, 10:39 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default New tyres fitted.....but...

So i ordered my new tyres from black circles, and the time came to have them fitted this morning, as soon as i got their i pointed out that i had no marks at all on any alloy except one, my rear right alloy, and they guy checked it over and agreed, he fitted the tires and all was good, the tires were covered in tire gunk as well as the rim itself they sprayed some cleaner on them and sprayed them with a jet wash, but still they were gunked up, i also decided while i was their to book the car to have alignment, not that i was having problems but because i had lowered the car and knew it would be slightly out, they could not do it then and told me to come back at 1pm, so i went to work and then came back at 1 for the alignment, upon driving home i noticed that now i have to have the car wheel pointed to the right as if it is totally straight the car goes to the left.

The alignment cost me £96 - So i am not happy, it drives worse than before with my old tires.

I am going back tomorrow to complain but i see problems..

I signed all the paperwork after they had done, presumely to say i was happy with the work carried out? so they will say the marks was not made by them.

BUT i took pictures this morning of all 4 alloys before i went for the new tires so i have proof that the alloys were unmarked, i also took pictures of the alloys when i got home showing them still all gunked up.

So am i right in thinking i should A)get all my alloys refurbed for free and B) refunded for the alignment - dont think they knew what they were doing with the alignment so dont want to give them another chance would rather go elsewhere, £100 is top money for an alignment around here, so i didnt expect a cheap job, but it did take him 3 hours to align it as he had trouble releasing one of my adjustable rear toe arms.

these are just some of the marks, theirs basically marks all around the rim, these are obviously not caused by kerb damage as its not a scuff.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:55 AM

Received 78 Likes on 65 Posts

From those pics looks like the wheels have been blown over with a quick spray , you can see old digs and dings under the finish , not surprised they landed up with further dings etc, tyre fitting is quite aggressive.

Who did the GEO , take it back
Old 05-28-2015, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by CHIPPO
From those pics looks like the wheels have been blown over with a quick spray , you can see old digs and dings under the finish , not surprised they landed up with further dings etc, tyre fitting is quite aggressive.

Who did the GEO , take it back
same place did the geo, is it a easy quick fix if all other bits where in the green? or does it need a complete re-do of the geo in order to fix it?

Would the marks not be caused by the tire iron or whatever is used to put the tires on? or do you mean the water on the alloys? they are not marks just standing water
Old 05-28-2015, 11:08 AM

Received 78 Likes on 65 Posts

Let's put it this way my Geo last time was 2 1/2 hours from scratch , new suspension fitted, geo by WIM , no problems thereafter. It's not an easy job and needs some experience , I watched mine being done from under the car with the mechanic , all of the adjustments affect the others so it's a case of slowly slowly catch the monkey as you slowly approach the desired end result. There are other here with lots of experience of this especially Daytona Dave who actually performs this task in his garage.

Well you have a better view than me of The wheels it was how the photos looked to me .
Old 05-28-2015, 11:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No chance on the free wheel refurb, that one is a crap blow over so you can't expect it to last and they take the blame for its poor quality
Some weight to redoing the Geo
I'd going on and be reasonable with them and expect ot get the geo redone and some sort of future discount
Old 05-28-2015, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by mikey k
No chance on the free wheel refurb, that one is a crap blow over so you can't expect it to last and they take the blame for its poor quality
Some weight to redoing the Geo
I'd going on and be reasonable with them and expect ot get the geo redone and some sort of future discount
Ok thanks for the info, i will mention the alloys but not go over the top my main concern is to get the geo correct
Old 05-28-2015, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a wheel refurbished by a tyre fitters but it was a new wheel they damaged and they were very apologetic. Didn't try to cover it up just admitted their mistake and got it done.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:42 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't mean to sound rude but yes your shots showing the damage on the rims, they do appear like they've previously been spray-painted, OEM wheels from new have a smooth finish (clear outer lacquer) it protects the plain inner spoke sections along with the flat diamond cut outer parts, if your able to literally 'flick' more of the surface away and its silver, that's a strong indication they have been touched up.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matt Holley
I had a wheel refurbished by a tyre fitters but it was a new wheel they damaged and they were very apologetic. Didn't try to cover it up just admitted their mistake and got it done.
Powder coated? Diamond cut? Or just spray painted ?
Old 05-28-2015, 03:40 PM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Tyre fitting always risk damaging the paint on the rim. Even the best fitters will end up damaging the paint every now and then. If you ever watch them try and remove a tyre from a wheel especially one with a reinforced side wall its alot of effort. I find it hard to criticise people without ever trying to do the job myself. Having watched them a few times its never going to be 100% damage free.

Wheel alignment is a hard job. I have witness myself two places align my car perfectly and then when i have got in the car pulls to the left. I took it back both times and they rechecked it and told me it was spot on and that it could well be the tyres that were causing the issue. I fitted brand new tyres and the car drove perfectly straight.

The alignment sensors fit to the wheel/hub and not the tyre so its never going to be perfect the tyre can move around around but the hub will align perfectly.

The main thing is get in the car before they adjust the alignment and set the steering wheel how you see it central and get them to clamp it in that position.

By the way this is assuming they are ensuring you have equal toe/camber caster etc. If any of those settings are left on the piss it will make the car pull to one side but correcting those things is pretty much what wheel alignment is all about!

Quick Reply: New tyres fitted.....but...