UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

New VED rates..

Old 04-10-2017, 02:31 AM

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

Sweet, mine renewed last month... #bonus!
Old 04-10-2017, 12:44 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Had you cancelled your existing tax in March, and then renewed for another 12 months, you would have got the less expensive rate.

The rates went up for cars being taxed for the 1st May onwards. It's pretty simple, really.
Not that simple...mine was due on the 1st May......

Not going to cancel in March and lose a months worth of April....(well a month back minus costs etc. 6 weeks later...)
Old 04-10-2017, 12:56 PM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

Be nice if they spent the ****er on the roads. Round here when they spot a pothole they seem to just pour in a bag of BnQ tarmac and **** off

the tories are turning against the middle class more
and more imo..
Old 04-10-2017, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
Be nice if they spent the ****er on the roads. Round here when they spot a pothole they seem to just pour in a bag of BnQ tarmac and **** off

the tories are turning against the middle class more
and more imo..
Don't begrudge the rise per se, that's taxation for you....however they've been beating up on the working class for a lot longer than the middle class...
Old 04-11-2017, 12:56 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by UK Paul
Not that simple...mine was due on the 1st May......

Not going to cancel in March and lose a months worth of April....(well a month back minus costs etc. 6 weeks later...)
You wouldn't.
Cancel at the end of March, and you'd get a refund for the unused April element. https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-refund
Then renew for a year beginning in April at the "2016" rate. When you renew next year, you'll pay the "2017" rate rather than the 2018 rate which will apply from May 2018.

They'll get you in the end.
The following users liked this post:
UK Paul (04-11-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by MattyH
Looks like its paying to have a 1999!
Or a Yr 2000
Old 04-15-2017, 03:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just checked my log book last night. Lucky for me my car was registered on the 3rd of march 2006. Bonus
Old 04-17-2017, 09:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK - Stop rubbing it in - Mines September 06 - so I pay through the nose... but I will say she's worth it. Under £2 a day to know I have one of the best rear wheel drive 2 seat convertibles ever made at my beck and call.

I do think of SORNing her for a few months over winter and saving a chunk of cash- but the opportunity for a cold clear crisp topless winter drive up here in Cumbria soon puts paid to that.

Of course I'd really hate to pay full fat road tax - and have the spectre of depreciation to deal with as well - thankfully we don't ;-)

S.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by 51mes
OK - Stop rubbing it in - Mines September 06 - so I pay through the nose... but I will say she's worth it. Under £2 a day to know I have one of the best rear wheel drive 2 seat convertibles ever made at my beck and call.

I do think of SORNing her for a few months over winter and saving a chunk of cash- but the opportunity for a cold clear crisp topless winter drive up here in Cumbria soon puts paid to that.

Of course I'd really hate to pay full fat road tax - and have the spectre of depreciation to deal with as well - thankfully we don't ;-)

S.
Not a convertible...its a roadster... :-)

Convertible implies it was once a metal roofed coupe......!!!
Old 04-18-2017, 11:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile You say potato...

Originally Posted by UK Paul
Not a convertible...its a roadster... :-)

Convertible implies it was once a metal roofed coupe......!!!
Nah not sure where you got your definition from... - a strictly speaking a roadster is a car without a roof or any protection, a convertible has the ability to change from an open air mode, to a closed mode - hence the use of the word - convertible - "a car with a folding or detachable roof."

I will say however in common use of the term roadster has expanded to cover convertibles as well.

But whatever you call them - I'm sure we both agree - the S is one hell of a car.... ;-0

S.

Quick Reply: New VED rates..