UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Nurburgring

Old 11-15-2004, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dws2000,Nov 12 2004, 06:58 PM
I've decided I absolutely HAVE to go to the ring next year. Just starting my research, who knows information and sources to help make the trip a good as possible?
Old 11-16-2004, 01:05 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

If it is a public road, is the car insured as normal, or do insurance companies treat it as a track? I mean describing the place of the accident and putting down "Nurburgring"
Old 11-16-2004, 01:14 AM

Yep, definitely has to be done!!!!!

Went 2 years ago on the bike when Germany were playing in the finals of some football match. It's was busy in the morning, then everybody just disappeared!!!! So, literally had the place to ourselves!!!

I'm gonna go in the S next year, too. Hmmmm...... 4 days at The Ring during Easter, eh?!?! Might have to look into that one.

Alex
Old 11-16-2004, 03:37 AM

I don't believe this - i'm away for a few days and suddenly the perfect Ring topic comes up! And there's me crowbarring it into every single email I send! bah!

I've been to the Ring 8 times now and have over 100 laps under my belt. Ben Lovejoy's site is pretty much reckoned to be the best one available, but if you've got any queries, i can probably help!

The S2000 is a perfect car for the Ring but there are a couple of things to remember:

Get your tyre pressures right or expect to see the arse of the car a lot

Only do one lap at a time and then ALWAYS do a cool down lap - you may think that the brakes can cope with back to back laps, but unless you don't exceed 40mph, don't even think about it if you're a committed driver. All you need to do is just go for a quick cool down drive to the bridge near the main road and back. Saves buying new pads every trip!

Leave the car in gear with the handbrake OFF in the pits after a lap - otherwise you could screw your brakes again

Wear a crash helmet! Its not compulsory but you could be the best driver in the world and be hit by someone else. It does not affect your enjoyment or your senses in any significant way, but I really don't want to read about a dead S2000 driver. You don't need to spend thousands on a carbon fibre Shoei (or something) but protect your bonce!

Drive with your lights on when on the track. It is a rule!

Overtake on the left side, using your indicators. Similarly, move to the right side of the track to let people past you. If they've caught you up, its because they are faster. Let them past. But keep your speed up otherwise you can setting yourself up as a mobile chicane. It is a normal road in some respects - including you can be done for dangerous driving if you cause an accident.

AND NOW BEN'S TOP THREE RING RULES:

Treat other drivers with respect - they are entitled to drive as fast or slow as they like - and so are you. Yeah, its bloody fun to overtake a Ferrari but don't act like a boy-racer and cut people up. Take especial care to keep an eye out for bikers - they can come from no-where and appear in your blindspot. They can be slow through corners but will eat you for breakfast on the straights (usually). Let them go! And wave nicely when someone pulls over to let you past.

Treat the circuit with respect. Try to learn the lines. Download the pace notes, watch in-car videos, play it on the PC or XBOX. It is worth the effort! If you can, go out in someone's car on your first lap, or follow an experienced driver around. DO NOT simply shout yeehaa and banzai into the armco in the first corner. There are many blind brows, unexpected changes in camber, potentially crashed motorbikes ahead of you. Be aware!

Enjoy it! Its the best fun you are ever likely to have in your car, unless you happen to know Abi Titmuss. It really is a blast and your car will love you for it - and you will love your car even more!

Sorry for the sermon but I hope this helps!

Any queries, just ask!

Ben
Old 11-16-2004, 03:38 AM

PS I will certainly be there at Easter 05 and am more than willing to take anyone for a pax lap or give informal tuition. I'm not pretending to be a Ringmaster but I do know my way around!

Cheers
Old 11-16-2004, 03:48 AM

Ok thought of some more stuff.

The Ring sticker is compulsory for the back of your car - and it looks shit hot on the back of an S2000.

We always stay at the Berghotel Hohe Acht - reasonably priced, 5 mins from the start line, english spoken, wonderful mountain views, easy to find.

Insurance is a very gray area as it technically not being used as a race-track (despite being one) on public days. How can it be if tourist coaches and motorhomes can drive on it? If the worst happens, try and make sure that the accident report states the location as "Nordschlieffe" as most companies haven't yet figured out that this is the Ring.

We always get travel insurance of the type that will transport the car home in the event of a breakdown (or crash). We've had to use it twice for a knackered old 300ZX that has been trailered back to Jersey and it cost the owner
Old 11-16-2004, 04:03 AM

Brilliant review, Ben. Brings back some great memories.
Like the photos, too!!
Hopefully see you at The Ring next Easter.

Alex
Old 11-16-2004, 04:29 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

What a brilliant post Ben, you are the Ringmaster

Personally I don't have the guts to go round, but I'd love to go and see the place, is that do-able?
Old 11-16-2004, 04:45 AM

with the above. Ben Lovejoy's site is an absolute must for any beginner.

Also keep an eye on the current Top Gear series - there should be something about the "Ring" as Jezza was filming when we were there in September
Old 11-16-2004, 06:35 AM

I saw a 1.6 Astra this morning wearing the fabled Nurb. stickewr and at first I laughed at him thinking of him getting eaten alive compared to some of the cars that go around there.

Then I got all sad at myself cos I haven't done it and he has and I thought fair play fella - wear your sticker with pride

Quick Reply: Nurburgring