UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Nurburgring

Old 11-16-2004, 06:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Knowledge is power" as they say - I've been overtaken by a Peugeot 205 Rallye, amongst other cars, and i was in my Evo

My favourite memory is being overtaken into the next to last corner by a Viper chasing a GT3RS - the Viper was totally sideways right in front of us

I'll be there at Easter '05, if anyone wants a lap in an Evo then look me up.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:53 PM

Easter is sounding better and better! Its always good to chat to fellow Brits - even more so when they are fellow S2000 owners. I even chatted to some visiting Swiss S2Ki blokes one year - thrashed them on the track though hehehe

I'm hoping to be in convoy with a few Jersey cars (mine, a Civic CRX, maybe an Elise, a VX220 and some other stuff if I can twist some arms).

I'll certainly be interested in a pax lap in an Evo! Have been round in my mates Scooby 5 years ago and he got a 90 mph 4 wheel drift going in front of a spectator area - scary but fun (in hindsight).

I think some of my post-trip write-ups have got more details on them, so a search of Ring or Nurburgring might be useful for anyone.

One of my most humbling experiences was getting thoroughly trounced by a Nova - a very trick one, mind! Oh, and don't forget the RWD VTEC powered Mini Clubman - lunatic!

Fun fun fun!

Ben

PS A-E - there's nothing to stop you spectating from track side any day of the week - even the private manufacturers test days - hence all the frequent spy shots in Evo, etc. It can be a scary circuit but you don't need enormous cajones to drive it [does help, mind : )]. On my first ever passenger trip, my driver almost bottled it after a 700 mile drive to get there. Glad he didn't though cos its an amazing drive - even at touring speeds. Play my video at half speed to find out! hehehe
Old 11-16-2004, 04:47 PM

Great write up Ben. Thanks for the info. I will be getting in touch with you via PM closer to the time The thought of it does scare me, especially what the other drivers might do - when you mention cool down lap is that on the circuit or just off it?
Old 11-16-2004, 04:48 PM

Oh yes and great pics too. I'll be downloading your vid once my home Apple is back up.
Old 11-17-2004, 01:18 AM

Right, it's about time I did this too. I've read Ben's reviews so often and said to myself I will go soon, then never got round to it.

If anyone is going next year, post here and I'll definitely join you for the trip. I can think of a few other people on here who will probably up for this too given a bit of notice, we might well be able to get a group going.
Old 11-17-2004, 02:00 AM

Right, so Ring Meet 2 is on the cards for Easter 2005 then? Excellent!

Put me down for number one slot!
Old 11-17-2004, 03:16 AM

i hope we can get a good crew together for the Easter Ring Meet as I've only met 3 fellow S2Ki-ers and get lonely here in Jersey! : )

As Scooby said, the Easter weekend is a great time to go as you get 4 consecutive days on the track - but it can get busy and the weather is far from guaranteed. That said, if you don't mind getting up early, the track doesn't get busy until 10am or later, so you can get in a whole bunch of clear laps.

As said, I've been there 8 times and have only had a few spots of rain (ok and a little snow once). Generally the weather is good (somehow) so you can blat around with the roof down.

My plan usually means arriving at the Hotel mid afternoon on the Friday, thundering around before it closes then into Adenau town for a slap up meal at the Bacon Soup Restaurant (see last trip report for more details and some drooling). Saturday means a whole day of laps, followed by a trackside BBQ in the evening. Sunday is a day of rest - yeah right! Oodles more laps then out for another decent meal. Few laps on the Monday then generally head homewards early afternoon.

Oh - DWS - for the cool down bit - there's an road that runs from the pits to the main road and its parallel to the main straight. We've found through bitter experience that a slow drive along here before turning around and heading back is enough time to let the brakes cool off. Its no means mandatory but I managed to eat a set of rear pads (previously with 600 miles on them) down to the wear indicators by doing 2 laps back to back 3 times in one day. Ooops.

Cheers
Old 11-17-2004, 03:22 AM

I'll be there in a track prepared BMW 328i Coupe (E36).

Haven't plucked up the courage to risk the S round there yet, so me and a friend bought the above as a dedicated ring car.
Old 11-17-2004, 04:00 AM

Keep it off the armco this time though!

As long as you don't act like a complete idiot, the combination of grippy tarmac and a good handling car means that you can thrash around the track at a good speed without risking your neck (or body panels).

Of the 400+ laps that my friends and I have done between us, the closest we've come to crashes is when people have pushed too hard when showing off. Drive fast but safe and there's no way you should come off. Oh, and learn the track for any newbies!

Ben
Old 11-17-2004, 04:19 AM

Right, then. I need dates so I can book the time off work. Can anybody provide me with these, seeing as the calendar for 2005 isn't out yet for The Ring. Pleeeeeaaasse........

Woohoo!!!!! Better start saving for the trip and for the tyres/brake pads/petrol, etc, etc.....

Alex

Quick Reply: Nurburgring