UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

OBD Diagnostics?

Old 10-19-2007, 12:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MB,Oct 19 2007, 08:25 PM
I have to ask, why do you want to know?

Its really meaningless unless you have a problem, as the ECU is taking care of things.

Water temp sensor already displays on the dash and none of the useful stuff like oil temp or pressure is recorded. The stuff you can get is only useful really for trouble shooting or geek factor.

The real fun would be getting a prototype ECU like the ones we use at work that operate with flash rom or interface directly to PC's. Being able to remap your ECU or the fly to suit the conditions is

Personally I'd save my money and instrument the engine properly with an oil pressure sensor and oil temp sensor
Old 10-19-2007, 02:30 PM

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

just interested to know whats going on. The software is free and the phone I have, so I only need the dongle. So in terms of cost is quite reasonable compared with some other solutions out there.

When dealers charge rediculous amounts just to plug their units in this just made sense. The information I would get would also be able to tell me a little more about the condition of the engine / sensors etc... Plus it would be a little more accurate than that water temperature on the dash!

I have the oil pressure and temp sensor, so that will be fitted soon. Maybe a mappable ecu is the way forward....$$$$

Curiosity, its a wonderful thing?
Old 10-19-2007, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I imagine you'll be able see confirmed DTCs (trouble codes), as well as pending ones, so will be able to track down any problems with the car.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:42 PM

I bought an S cos they don't have many problems
Old 10-20-2007, 12:15 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Monitoring of sensors will tell you absolutely nothing about the condition of the engine, as none of the sensors are there for that?!

Hope this doesn't sound out of turn but can I ask if you know much about engines and sensors?

For example, you look at the MAP sensor voltage - do you know what the MAP sensor is and what the reading would be telling you? Same for the knock sensor, TDC, TPS, Lambda etc. I know what I would be looking for here, but I choose not to do it because it serves no purpose.

Fault code readers can be bought for
Old 10-20-2007, 01:54 AM

i know why nomad is doing this - it is very geeky (in a good way) to have asmuch info as you can on display.
2 sides to the coin. one side is having asmuch info available to you, and the other is as people have said, do you know what your actually looking for and do you know what the sensors are actually measuring, and what affects what readings (eg does engine temp affect xx sensor)

actual usefulness of the data: probably very little unless it includes the rare chance of a DTC being present.
geekness of the data on display: the best reason for this o be done imo.

similr to having temp readout/system monitors on your pc or via an LCD display. doesnt exactly tell you problems with your computer, but does tell you where to start looking if you know how to interpret the data.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by MB,Oct 20 2007, 12:15 AM
Hope this doesn't sound out of turn but can I ask if you know much about engines and sensors?
Can't speak for the OP, but I'm in the business of engine management and diagnostics, so know quite a bit.

I'm not saying it's useful for me, but will enjoy the geek factor.

There are other bits you can do when jacked into the can network too.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:05 AM

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

[QUOTE=MB,Oct 20 2007, 12:15 AM] Monitoring of sensors will tell you absolutely nothing about the condition of the engine, as none of the sensors are there for that?!

For example, you look at the MAP sensor voltage - do you know what the MAP sensor is and what the reading would be telling you? Same for the knock sensor, TDC, TPS, Lambda etc. I know what I would be looking for here, but I choose not to do it because it serves no purpose.

Fault code readers can be bought for
Old 10-20-2007, 10:19 AM

What the Bluetooth OBD sensor will read:

Throttle position
Engine RPM
Vehicle speed (km/h)
Calculated load value %
Ignition timing advance
Old 10-20-2007, 04:02 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

[QUOTE=nomadicS2k,Oct 20 2007, 07:05 PM] Monitoring of the sensors will tell me more than I know now.

Quick Reply: OBD Diagnostics?