UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

OBD Reader with High Update Rate?

Old 10-30-2014, 01:50 PM

Received 126 Likes on 107 Posts
Default OBD Reader with High Update Rate?

Evening all,

I've been using a Chinese copy ELM327 OBD reader for a while, fairly successfully. However, the update rate only allows for logging a handful of parameters at about 1 reading per second. I'd like to use it for smooth reading of speed, revs etc on videos of track days so I need an adapter with a much higher update rate.

Has anyone found a reasonably priced adapter that has a fast update rate and works with an Android phone (so, Bluetooth or wifi)?

I've searched all the threads I can find on these readers, but most are concerned with pressures, temps etc, so aren't worried about quick update rates.

All help much appreciated.

Cheers
Chris
Old 10-31-2014, 12:03 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

I've been pondering one of these: http://www.amazon.co...=I3S13LWSJ95KTG

But on another thread, someone helpfully pointed out that the refresh rate might be down to the car, rather than the OBD device, so buyer beware.

There is aonther , apparently faster version available for more money: http://www.amazon.co...SHHS1VQBN19EK8H
Old 10-31-2014, 01:06 AM

Hmmm, that's a fair point. I'd assumed the OBD standard specified an update rate though? It didn't work with my old Mondeo, but I've got a Mazda 6 now, so I might try it on that and see if the rate is any better. That would eliminate the adapter as the bottleneck. If it's still slow, then a faster adapter might still improve things.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:37 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

Check this list https://torque-bhp.com/wiki/Bluetooth_Adapters
Old 10-31-2014, 03:13 AM
UK Moderator

That doesn't really solve the unanswered question about the native refresh rate of the S2000's OBD port, unfortunately.

someone will have to take the plunge and test it out (probably me! )
Old 10-31-2014, 03:39 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by chrispayze
Evening all,

I'd like to use it for smooth reading of speed, revs etc on videos of track days so I need an adapter with a much higher update rate.
You have one of those already, it's behind the steering wheel.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:47 AM

Shame I can't log it!
Old 10-31-2014, 04:01 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by chrispayze
Shame I can't log it!
Get a camera!

Seriously though here's a link to some of the hardware used-

http://www.diy-efi.org/gmecm/ecm_info/obd2/

As with a lot of "off the mainstream tech" the standards are quite old fashioned, OBDII is a serial interface like RS232 so is a single bit system the BAUD rate can be 10.4Kb/s and 41.6Kb/s that's not bad if you have a bit of kit that is just looking at the parameters you want and ignoring stuff like error codes. I would guess that the Honda interface uses one of the chips listed in the link above, if you can find out what one it is then you would probably be able to find a race tech site that could supply the right interface box to convert the data to Bluetooth or high speed USB. I guess USB is more likely.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:32 AM
UK Moderator

The units we are discussing already do all of that.

For example:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubNrDSV4tBY&hd=1[/media]

You can see that the OBD data (rpm) updates with a frequency of about 1Hz. The GPS related data updates at 10Hz.

What we don't know is whether 1Hz is the best you can get out of the OBD port of the S2000, or whether the limitation is down to the cheapo OBD2 Bluetooth dongle whatsitthingumy I am using.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:01 AM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

I use a scangauge and when you set it at normal rate 1x a second you can display 4 results at once. Set it to the faster setting a certain measurements stop working. I think it's probably more down to the ecus speed tbh. The scan gauge manual even states you might have issues with higher refresh rate.

At the end of the day the obd2 functionality allowed fault codes and very basic sensor information. Nothing too fancy

Quick Reply: OBD Reader with High Update Rate?