UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Oil filter install questions

Old 07-03-2007, 02:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil filter install questions

I'm planning on doing an oil and filter change in the next week or so and I have a couple of questions.

I've read on here about oil filters not being installed correctly and them coming off resulting in damage to the engine and car. I've checked that I have the right filter, but I'm not sure I can get away with not torquing it up.

On the side of the filter there are numbers 1-8. It says in the manual about tightening it up by 7/8's. I was going to try and get a end cap oil filter wrench and use a torque wrench to tighten it up to the right value, but no one seems to sell a 80mm 15 flutes socket. I'd rather not use one wrap around wrenches. Must I torque it up?

I want to run the car for a bit to get the oil warm, then drain it in an effort to help get rid of the rubbish that sits in the bottom. Should I only install the new filter once the engine has fully cooled down again?

I have a Spoon magnetic drain plug I'm going to fit at the same time. In the set there were two bolts, one of which was longer than the other. Which one is the engine oil bolt? I'm guessing the other is for the gear box.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the torque setting on the oil filter is 12nm which means spin it on until it reaches the block and starts to tighten, then one full turn which about as tight as you can get it by hand without straining yourself.

Dont forget to run a smear of oil all around the seal on the new filter.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:07 AM

Pop to mine and borrow my wrench .. it's not the best, but does the job.

Turn it till it's made contact, and then another 7/8ths ..
Old 07-03-2007, 03:08 AM

I talked to a Honda guy and he said he just does them hand tight, then a little bit more with a wrench, and didn't worry about using a torque wrench. Which is what I did: you'll get most of the way there by hand, then gave it about another 1/8th of a turn.

I bought 4 different oil filter wrenches before I found one that would work. It's one that has a steel band which you tighten up with a big screw on the handle. Most seem to be designed to get them off (like the one from Screwfix), so they're no use for tightening up.

Should they be done cold? The one I did which leaked I'd done hot; when I replaced it I did it cold (no choice).
Old 07-03-2007, 03:11 AM

I had trouble getting the oil filter off on my first oil change and it seemed very tight. I managed to get hold of a "socket" to use on the filter-a very nice chap posted one to me from the states as apparently they get the socket free with each new filter. Its only a very simple pressed steel one but works OK. When fitting a new filter I'm unable to get the torque wrench onto the "socket" as theres no room against the steering. To tighten I used the 7/8 method shown on the filter. Tighten until the filter just touches then tighten 7/8 of a turn using the nuimbers on the side of the filter. I noted the position of the original filter and my filter was in exactly the same place so that seemed a good double check. Oil filters on the S are a lot tighter than normal, probably because the oil pressure is VERY high.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:19 AM

You should only *ever* put oil filters on hand tight. You run the risk of damaging the filter trying when tightening with wrenches.

Be warned.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by hoppingdeth,Jul 3 2007, 12:19 PM
You should only *ever* put oil filters on hand tight. You run the risk of damaging the filter trying when tightening with wrenches.

Be warned.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by hoppingdeth,Jul 3 2007, 11:19 AM

Be warned.

The filter does not need a torque wrench nor should it be fitted "hand tight"
EVER Honda filter has directions on it on how to tighten it - for a reason

BTW there are two sizes commonly fitted to the S.
Make sure you get the larger one (tightens to 7/8ths) not the smaller one (tightens to 3/4)
Old 07-03-2007, 03:53 AM

Cheers for the input everyone. I'm a bit happier now I've read these replies. I have one of those band wrenchs to get the filter off.

I'll try the 7/8's method to install is once the engine has cooled down.

Anyone know about which Spoon magnetic drain plug is for the engine?
Old 07-03-2007, 04:25 AM

Also, if your draining it when its warm, watch your hands on the hot oil

Quick Reply: Oil filter install questions