UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Oil filter install questions

Old 07-05-2007, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 07-05-2007, 12:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OMG. I had no idea something as easy as how to fit an oil filter would cause so much heated debate

I will be fitting mine without the oil filter wrench, but I will be following the instructions on the filter to the letter. Think I'll put that fire extinguisher in my car as well

Cheers for the offer of the wrench Bozwell, I'll be doing it by hand, so to speak
Old 07-06-2007, 03:09 AM

Check the old rubber gasket has come off with the old filter as well!
Old 07-06-2007, 07:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UPDATE - I did my oil change this morning and no problems or leaks so far.

Once all the old oil had been drained out, I was able to take the old filter off by hand. It wasn't easy but sure enough a bit of elbow grease got it off. I put a mark on the engine as a reference point for later. I cleaned up the face and ensured the old rubber ring was not still on the block. I put the Spoon magnetic drain plug in, installed the Greddy sandwich plate, then put the new oil filter on. Don't forget to smear a little oil on the rubber O ring before fitting.

I put it on by hand until the filter touched the sandwich plate. By chance # 4 lined up with the mark I'd made beforehand, and with both hands I was able to get #3 back to the same position. The last bit was really hard and I was happy a nice clean seal had been made.

As per the ESM manual I ran the car for three minutes and checked for leaks. There were none. I then ran the engine again whilst I cleaned the interior and still no sign of any leaks (fire extinguisher at the ready). I then went for a steady drive just to triple check. I stopped after ten minutes and checked a third time. After that I vtec'ed it home and checked for a fourth time. Still no signs of oil leakage.

Writing this I know I might sound a bit paranoid with me keep checking, but I just like the make sure I've done a proper job.

You don't need a oil filter wrench to do this job, but it woudl make life that little bit easier.

I'll contiune to keep an eye on it for the next few weeks.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great this site !!Not been here for a few weeks and you lot are at it !!

Be Warned !!Get a tool or go to dealer to ask them to tighten it

The first time it did it ,I drove from Chesterfield to Southhampton,,No leaks at all check oil in the morn drove 7 miles hit 9k rpm and then the red arrows were behind me !!It does look very cool !!But no oil in a few seconds and then oil all over the manifold,few second later !!a little engine fire !!which An AA man put out for me !!as lucky ,i was just arriving at a sounthern meet !!with 15 s2000 owners watching, me come flying in to the service area !!

As Mikey said !! I have changed 100s of oil filters !!and just thought the filter was faulty !!
Two years later !!the day before the french trip changed oil.....Drove from Chesterfield to Dover no probs !!Next day in France !!Oil filter came losse as we passed 10 cars in a wedding convoy !!and also it was quite impressive to see the smoke comming from the back of the car !!Again !!

If you feel the engine die then turn the key off asap !!
Old 07-12-2007, 11:46 AM

We said that you should follow the instructions on the side of the filter... well how about this one?!

"Tighten further by hand". How beautifully put.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:53 AM

"i agree"
Old 02-14-2011, 03:36 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by SideWaysOnFire,Jul 6 2007, 09:55 AM
Great this site !!Not been here for a few weeks and you lot are at it !!

Be Warned !!Get a tool or go to dealer to ask them to tighten it

The first time it did it ,I drove from Chesterfield to Southhampton,,No leaks at all check oil in the morn drove 7 miles hit 9k rpm and then the red arrows were behind me !!It does look very cool !!But no oil in a few seconds and then oil all over the manifold,few second later !!a little engine fire !!which An AA man put out for me !!as lucky ,i was just arriving at a sounthern meet !!with 15 s2000 owners watching, me come flying in to the service area !!

As Mikey said !! I have changed 100s of oil filters !!and just thought the filter was faulty !!
Two years later !!the day before the french trip changed oil.....Drove from Chesterfield to Dover no probs !!Next day in France !!Oil filter came losse as we passed 10 cars in a wedding convoy !!and also it was quite impressive to see the smoke comming from the back of the car !!Again !!

If you feel the engine die then turn the key off asap !!
Hello All!!!

Im a newbie to the s2000 forum,

Bought an AP1 3 weeks ago, needed a service so had this done by a local garage which are very respectable in the area, 35miles after an oil and filter change I was entering a dual carriage way at 8k rpm and suddenly smoke every where!!

I stopped the car within 10secs and the car was on fire! Apparently the oil filter had spewed out oil onto the exhaust manifold!

So..

I had the s2k towed to the garage which was luckily only a few miles away at the time, not to much dammage other than burnt HT leads and windscreen was jet tubing, the fire was put down to a "trapped oil filter" on installation of the part. So they replaced it and check the whole engine over, also a free major service and refund of the oil and filter change etc..

Picked the car up! Next day I had exactly the same problem again!! bloody pi55ed off this time! This was entering a dual carriage way again at near to 9k rpm and it blew!! Had the garage come and collect the car and take back to the garage.

This morning they have looked at it and said it looks to be either the oil filter giving way (Faulty part) (Part number: DMFOC115) which they ordered from Marland? apparently this company supplies Honda with the filters :S, OR to much pressure blowing the oil filter?? Now they have ordered the filter from HONDA UK. I just wondered what I need to ensure this garage needs to do for this NOT to happen again..

I did stop the car both times quickly and there was enough oil left in the engine despite the explosion of oil over the engine bay!! Do I need to be getting them to supply me with any sort of warranty?

Sorry to bring this topic up again, I can see it seems to be a heated discussion as its been gone over so many times, but just thought it would be nice to have some help on my position.

Pictures to follow of the 2nd break down!!!!

Cheers

Jonny
P.S. I have just ordered SSR GT1'S alloys so these will be fitted to the car upon its return I have also replaced the centre console to leather, new wipers etc so gradually transforming the car!!
Old 02-14-2011, 03:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would be very very very worried about your engine.

I had this happen to me and within a week my engine blew up. My car ran for less than 10 seconds after the oil spilled. The bottom end bearings failed as a result of running for those brief seconds without the oil. and for it to happen twice only increases the chance of a failure.

Im not into worrying people but I think you need some sort of warranty from the garage as it will cost you a couple of grand at least for a engine rebuild.

Great choice in wheels btw, I have them too!