UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Oily boot

Old 02-24-2011, 10:15 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Oily boot

Like many I got my last lot of Castrol from Opie along with the free liter and bag. Today I looked in the boot and found the cap on the liter bottle had vibrated loose (I did tighten it up properly!) not a problem but the bag thingy had fallen down. hence a puddle of oil in the boot carpet.
Anyone have any ideas how to get the soaked in oil out, theres about 250ml in there, thought it was a water leak at first till I put my finger in and tasted it.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:59 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Yes.

Put it in a skip at the local dump when they're not looking & then go home & Google 'breakers'.

Fortunately, you can let most of it out through the wheel well & clean the rest with tissues & WD40.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An old towel laid out in the bottom of the boot, then shovel some fresh sand from B&Q into the towel. Leave for 24-48 hours.

All the oil soaks into the towel and then through to the sand.

Collect all 4 corners of the towel and lift the whole lot out in one easy go.

What you then choose to do with the oily towel and sand is up to you...
Old 02-24-2011, 11:44 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

It's the sound deadening mat that's the problem.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:03 PM

Looks like B&Q tomorrow, will give that a go first before extream measures. Thanks Nick & Gary.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now this may sound daft but it works better with a towel that's been washed and then dried on a washing line rather than in a tumble dryer.

Crispy towels as my missus calls em...
Old 02-24-2011, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by GaryB,Feb 24 2011, 01:07 PM
Now this may sound daft but it works better with a towel that's been washed and then dried on a washing line rather than in a tumble dryer.

Crispy towels as my missus calls em...
thought I might try a load of micro fiber towels that I got as a job lot on FleaBay.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need something mega absorbant, soft, thin sponges would be ideal, I think there is a variation that you can get for the kitchen. They are about 10mm in depth and you just roll them out, put some pressure on them and the oil will be wicked up.

Then discard. Could try Tesco?
Old 02-24-2011, 10:27 PM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Exactly the same thing happened to me on my last euro trip! Oddly enough, it was castrol edge with the old flip type pour neck.

Difference is about a litre of mine went in the boot.

Thank **** I packed all the luggage logically with clothes etc on top otherwise I would have had to spend the entire holiday looking, and smelling like a ford owner!

For me, i nicked all the towels I could find from the hotel, checked out and then; used half of em to soak and mop it up, and the other half to make a blanket for the rest of my stuff to sit on.

When I got home, I removed the whole boot carpet and found yet more oil underneath, and the boot liner was VERY soggy. So I put fresh towels in the naked boot for a weekend, and covered the boot carpet in sand for the same time. Then, ignoring logic I pressure washed the whole boot carpet ad scrubbed with various sponges and nearly a whole bottle of fairy liquid, and allowed to dry.

It didn't do too bad!

Better than what happened when I said to my Honda stealer: 'so how much is a new boot carpet then?'.....
Old 02-24-2011, 11:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

been there too - about 300 mls of mobil one (yes i know, but I was a noob).

Kitchen roll, knackered old towel on top, weighted down with heavy stuff, leave overnight, repeat until not getting anything out.

Then switched to vanish carpet spray, which didn't really help.

My problem was that it got underneath the carpet and no amount of wiping would get it out of the stuff underneath, so it just kept wicking back

Still never got it totally fixed, so if anyone has bought FN02NHX, then sorry! It was me that spilled the oil!

Quick Reply: Oily boot