UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

One week on and what do I think?

Old 11-24-2006, 02:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yep, thats what i was told to do years ago by my dad after it happened to me in my old 1.3 fiesta! think the rule is pretty much dont do anything, it will sort its self out. its one of those horrible moments when everthing is in slow motion! a very important lesson learnt!
Old 11-24-2006, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by Dark Blue Mark,Nov 24 2006, 11:19 AM

Best thing is for you to have one of those "moments"
Ahhhh one of "THOSE" moments!

On the second one now and had more that one of "THOSE" moments!

Still keep coming back for more - its better than owning a boring car!
Old 11-24-2006, 03:40 AM

After 2.5 months I'm really starting to get the hang of the way the car handles.

It used to be super-scary in the wet but now I find it more 'playful'.

I, almost, never have dodgy moment now. The power and the snappy chassis just take a bit of getting used to. I would ALWAYS treat it with respect though 'cos it WILL bit you in the bum. Especially if you're driving on autopilot...

At the moment I still recon I would have been faster on my favourite back road in the wet in my Alfa but there would be no contest in the dry. I still have a lot to learn about the way the car behaves and I'm looking forward to the day when I can drive the car with total conviction in the wet but living in Scotland I recon I'll have plenty of wet days to look forward to to hone my skills
Old 11-24-2006, 03:49 AM

If my girlfriend named my car I'd gut her!
Old 11-24-2006, 03:53 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Wife to be you mean!

Car naming scares me....

MB
Old 11-24-2006, 04:04 AM

LOL, I can't spell the 'F' word
Old 11-24-2006, 05:06 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by LTB,Nov 24 2006, 11:21 AM
This is the key, especially for the inexperienced S2k driver.

If you don't know what you're doing, don't snatch a handful of opposite lock, simply loosen your by now white knuckle grip on the wheel and let the car sort itself out, which it will do it most instances.

I believe this is known as the Nick Graves technique.

That's too kind - it's something they teach you on track days, apparently. Leggy Blonde explained it to me. It sort of dawned on me then what was happening:

I used to set the wheel dead ahead at first, and let the car catch up.

I eventually realised that I wasn't actually turning the wheel straight ahead; I was letting go.

The castor angle points the wheels in the direction of travel, so as long as you aren't seriously over- or under-powering the rear end (a tiny whiff of throttle will suffice) the car should self-stabilise. At least enough to point the nose back into the desired direction of travel.

The effects of too much opposite lock are best experienced on the track:

You easily catch the first big slide, but the car turns the other way and the rear AR bar twangs the car into roll-oversteer the opposite way; you then reverse through the scenery.

There was a great clip of a Japanese journalist doing it - his comment [heavy jp accent] "Oh no - spin car!" /[heavy jp accent] cracked me up.
Old 11-24-2006, 06:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

(S2K4ME) - Sounds like your having fun with the car. Nice to see someone taking S ownership seriously, by swatting up on other peoples experiences of how the car feels/handles.

I've been caught out a few times in the wet, with the rear stepping away. Luckily I have caught it everytime, and I've learned from my foolish mistakes. However with this in mind, I still wanted to try to improve the "feel" of the rear end, and since I put a Cusco Lower arm rear brace on, it does feel more "readable" in the wet. Might be something to worthwhile purchase.
Old 11-25-2006, 03:58 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

To be on the safe side, dont VTEC in the wet. I had a fish tailing experience and lets say, well it was one to remember, taught me a lesson though!

Glad your enjoying the car mate!
Old 11-25-2006, 05:35 AM

You guys make me chuckle! You'll never learn how to handle the car on the edge on the road.

Get yerself on the track!

Quick Reply: One week on and what do I think?