UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

One week on and what do I think?

Old 11-25-2006, 11:34 AM
B B

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe there is an advantage in having an S200 from new in that providing you wish to adhere to the running in procedure you have no choice but proceed up the power band in increments hopefully gaining confidence and ability.

Whilst I VTEC'ed a couple of low mileage demos numerous times & wow what fun, ( no wonder the advice is DO NOT buy a dealers demo. ) I'm only just about at the VTEC point on my own car having done few miles since taking delivery a couple of weeks ago. Coming from a lightweight rear wheel drive MX-5 has provided some experience in likely roundabout antics.

Initial impressions are that it is a fabulous car to look at, delightfully easy and comfortable to drive.
Of course Honda has been very clever producing a sports car with a real hard core edge on tap for those with ability and experience to cope. So in todays driving conditions and restrictions, taking a mature responsible approach to when it's safe and & appropiate to use all the power available defines who is & who is not a closet boy racer or senior Chav.
I'm assuming kids in Saxos and the like could not even afford the insurance - hopefully.

Old 11-25-2006, 11:40 AM
KMB

I'll be honest and say after 15 months of first time RWD and S motoring it was a good 6 months before I felt totally at home with the handling

You will get bitten if you go silly too soon....... I've seen far too many threads on here from people wishing they'd taken a bit more time to learn the handling charateristics

Take it easy in this weather and enjoy the new car
Old 11-25-2006, 11:43 AM

In my 4th year of ownership now.

I know where the limits of the car are; far beyond the limits of the driver (me).

So I make sure I keep well away from them
Old 11-25-2006, 12:00 PM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by B B,Nov 25 2006, 08:34 PM
Maybe there is an advantage in having an S200 from new in that providing you wish to adhere to the running in procedure you have no choice but proceed up the power band in increments hopefully gaining confidence and ability.

Whilst I VTEC'ed a couple of low mileage demos numerous times & wow what fun, ( no wonder the advice is DO NOT buy a dealers demo. ) I'm only just about at the VTEC point on my own car having done few miles since taking delivery a couple of weeks ago. Coming from a lightweight rear wheel drive MX-5 has provided some experience in likely roundabout antics.

Initial impressions are that it is a fabulous car to look at, delightfully easy and comfortable to drive.
Of course Honda has been very clever producing a sports car with a real hard core edge on tap for those with ability and experience to cope. So in todays driving conditions and restrictions, taking a mature responsible approach to when it's safe and & appropiate to use all the power available defines who is & who is not a closet boy racer or senior Chav.
I'm assuming kids in Saxos and the like could not even afford the insurance - hopefully.
You're far less likely to have a problem coming from an MX-5; they too will get seriously sideways when provoked on cold tyres. An ideal stepping stone, if that's not damning a good car with faint praise.

A lot though, are coming out of these FWD numb-as-novocaine FWD poxboxes, and it's a bit of a shock when it bites!
Old 11-25-2006, 02:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by B B,Nov 25 2006, 08:34 PM
Coming from a lightweight rear wheel drive MX-5 has provided some experience in likely roundabout antics.
Uhhh... its not ON the roundabout that you need to worry about

And yes, easy to drive at the moment may be.
Has the Carper started 'that' thread for the new season yet?