UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Paint damage cont…..

Old 08-19-2010, 12:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint damage cont…..

Some of you may recall a while back I posted a topic relating to paint damage on my drivers door.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...pic=792453&hl=

Many of you passed on some valuable information regarding a fix but Xd advised me to attempt a Warranty repair, which I duly did and Honda accepted the claim. The car was booked into my local dealer of the 9 Aug 10 for the warranty repair an its 18K service.

So the farce begins……..

Car was dropped off at the allotted time a date, and was aware they had the car for 5 days, which is ok. I received a call from them on the Friday 13th (not a good omen!) to explain the car had come back from the paint shop and they (Honda) where not happy with the finish so they sent it back for rework! Although this wasn’t the news I wanted to hear, I was pleased Honda QC was working.

I received a call on the 17 Aug to say the car was back and ready for collection, hurrah I thought, dropped everything to go and collect the car, on arrival I paid the bill for the 18K service (which was £30 cheaper than expected…..however THAT was the only good news that day!). on checking the service book, the morons had stamped the 45K service block! Their excuse…’well Honda have change the layout on the servicing books recently’ (note, this is the second service I’ve done with them, so the change cant have been that recent )

It appears that obviously they are employing dyslexic service managers who cant tell the difference between 18 and 45? or my suspicion is a total lack of attention to detail or interest! His solution was ‘well I could just tippex out the wrong part?? WTF!

On checking the car, the actual repair was pretty good, although they didn’t spray the whole door, this said I will give the paint shop a thumbs up for the paint however…..

Although a explicitly warned them (Honda) not the clean my car, they (the paint shop) had thought it a royal chuckle to ‘try’ and DA the whole offside of the car to ‘blend’ in the work, they had gone at the paint like a blind woodsman and destroyed the finish, Honda apparently thought the final finish was acceptable…again, morons!
oh almost forgot, white??? paint overspray on the leather, console, wind deflector and front/rear bumpers, half a tank of fuel had also disappeared for the 37 miles it had done back and forth to the paint shop??

So the car was returned to Honda 18 Aug to try and explain this sort of work is unacceptable, they eventually agreed to put the car back into the paint shop and gave me yet another courtesy car, with the faint words of ‘we call you later when it’s ready’ still ringing in my ears, I prepared for another lump of disappointment.

This came at 4pm when I receive a call that went something like;

-Hello Mr Gxxxxxxx this is Jxxx Bxxxx Honda Ipswich

-Firstly Mr Gxxxxxxx is there a special protective cover on you paint work?

-No, just hundreds of hours of waxing with plenty of Zymol Ebony wax,

-Ah, well, you see the guys at DJ Mxxxxxxxxx Ltd (Honda Approved paint shop) have hit a snag when DA’ing you car, the compound they’ve used ‘seems’ to have hardened, and in the process of trying to remove it, have damaged the paint on the rear wing (burn through), the car has been repaired and is in the curing oven now!!

-Long silence from me….well, call me back when you ‘think’ they have fixed and returned my car to you, and we can then discuss the other issues I have with this debacle…..

This is where I am now, I apologise for the rant but I fully expect this farce will continue for a few more days.

I will update this thread when I know more but thus far, and without a shadow of doubt, am I fully disgusted with the lacklustre and incompetent attitude this dealer has shown in this matter, any thoughts on what I should do next based on the evidence above?

Just to add the final act to this comedy of errors, prior to this farce, I have booked the same company to re-spray my front bumper (as private work) and have seriously thought about whether I should cancel this work? As if that’s needed….
Old 08-19-2010, 12:59 AM

The easy bit;

Get the dealer to order a new service book

Get the servicing dealer to stamp it in the correct order

Bad news on the paintwork

The bodyshop must have really tried to damage your paint with a DA !!

If they can't get it right I'd be looking for some kind of compensation

RE; Your front bumper, Honda can supply factory painted front bumpers

That'd be my choice, but I am very particular

Old 08-19-2010, 01:09 AM

What's more worrying than the dyslexic Honda dealer is a paintshop (Honda approved at that) don't know how to use a polisher added to the fact they can't protect a car from overspray from another job! Are we sure they can use a spray gun?

I hope you get it sorted but I have a nagging feeling that it's not going to end anytime soon

I feel for you.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think that we all know from previous threads that a complaint to Honda UK is about as likely to garner results as you are to become comander in chief in the next week or so. That said, I'd give them a mail/call to register your issue, if for no other reason than the dealer will get marked down on customer service points.

As for the private work, I'd cancel with the current bodyshop, they have shown themselves to be inept three times already, so letting them anywhere near your car again shouldn't be considered. PM Stookystar, she's an incredibly fussy person about this sort of thing, and has a bodyshop she recomends in Essexshire.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by GREGSTERWIZ,Aug 19 2010, 12:59 AM
Get the dealer to order a new service book

Get the servicing dealer to stamp it in the correct order

RE; Your front bumper, Honda can supply factory painted front bumpers

That'd be my choice, but I am very particular
Thanks GREGSTER,

After pointing out the ineptitude of the service minion to the service manager, they are now ordering a new service book and will back date the two services, however I will still keep the original as it holds some key details in the front!

Re; bumper, I was only after a respray to remove road rash, so a new bumper is not required, just the respray, however i doubt i will be putting money into thier pockets after this!
Old 08-19-2010, 01:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How can they put the car in a curing oven with all the trim still attached?
Old 08-19-2010, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by PaulF,Aug 19 2010, 01:12 AM
I think that we all know from previous threads that a complaint to Honda UK is about as likely to garner results as you are to become comander in chief in the next week or so. That said, I'd give them a mail/call to register your issue, if for no other reason than the dealer will get marked down on customer service points.

As for the private work, I'd cancel with the current bodyshop, they have shown themselves to be inept three times already, so letting them anywhere near your car again shouldn't be considered. PM Stookystar, she's an incredibly fussy person about this sort of thing, and has a bodyshop she recomends in Essexshire.
Fair point Paul so you think I should approach this with a view to the customer satisfaction form? Or is that not a strong enough approach with this issue?

But thanks for the paint shop info, if will pm Stooky for advice (on paint that is )

Old 08-19-2010, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by Spies,Aug 19 2010, 01:28 AM
How can they put the car in a curing oven with all the trim still attached?
Tbh Spies...nothing surprises me with these clowns anymore their slant on a 'curing oven' is probably sitting next to the fresh paint reading the sport and running a hair drier past every so often

Well I'm sure there will more more fun and games later on when 'monga' call with the next instalment......

Episode III - 'Revenge of the paint shop mong'

Old 08-19-2010, 01:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hopefully all the plastic trim hasn't melted...
Old 08-19-2010, 01:42 AM

I actually do know an incredibly good paint shop that I recommend wholeheartedly. They used to blow in the nose of my two previous cars (cue Paul F 'fnar' moment) and always blended it perfectly! One of the cars was a terrible colour to match in too!

The only catch is that you have to go to Grays to use them and they are very booked up!

Still, if you're coming to Grays, you can buy me lunch! Result!

Quick Reply: Paint damage cont…..