UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Paint Problems

Old 06-28-2017, 04:06 PM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

It is true that re-finished paint fades at a different rate than factory paint, partially due to the process and simply that the old paint has faded more.

For example, Berlina blacks become Berlina browns over time, and Honda's is one of the best, blackest blacks. Mine lives indoors, so the refinished parts match very well.

Karen had a blue Uno and one front wing went a very cheesy colour over time. That was the era before two-pack, though. It also gradually moved away from the bonnet & headlight, which looked odd. I never got round to re-aligning it...

She also has a Pug 106 where they'd done what Notts described at the factory and the rear edge of the bonnet was a bit cellulite.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:34 PM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Graves
It is true that re-finished paint fades at a different rate than factory paint, partially due to the process and simply that the old paint has faded more.

For example, Berlina blacks become Berlina browns over time, and Honda's is one of the best, blackest blacks. Mine lives indoors, so the refinished parts match very well.

Karen had a blue Uno and one front wing went a very cheesy colour over time. That was the era before two-pack, though. It also gradually moved away from the bonnet & headlight, which looked odd. I never got round to re-aligning it...

She also has a Pug 106 where they'd done what Notts described at the factory and the rear edge of the bonnet was a bit cellulite.
Slightly off topic,,,did i read that right Fiat Uno i thought they had all rotted away years ago, you must either look after it very well or have being very lucky
Old 06-29-2017, 09:44 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytona-Dave
Slightly off topic,,,did i read that right Fiat Uno i thought they had all rotted away years ago, you must either look after it very well or have being very lucky
Nooo; it was YEARS ago! Late '80s/early '90s....

It already had a bit of tinworm starting in the usual places (under tailgate window and base of rear doors) at about five years old. And a front wing that was starting to look like cheese, as if someone stole the pigment.

Someone once tried to break in by peeling it like a banana. You could do that with clamshell doors. I unpeeled it back again and it was fine.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my experience i'd get the lot painted, but even then.......
I don't like blended doors, there will come a point where it stands out
Ive had a couple of cars and never noticed for a year or two and then parked with the sun on it one day and it hits you in the face, gutted
Old 07-02-2017, 03:16 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchy
In my experience i'd get the lot painted, but even then.......
I don't like blended doors, there will come a point where it stands out
Ive had a couple of cars and never noticed for a year or two and then parked with the sun on it one day and it hits you in the face, gutted
Seems we had a similar experience. Did you take the matter up with the bodyshop(s)?

I'm not sure even a full respray is the answer. The bonnet is still a really immaculate metallic light blue; imagine painting the whole car and a few years on finding every panel was purple-blue, albeit they matched each other!

In fact i'm not so sure they would match, because if you leave the car outside in the driveway you're going to get some parts getting more sun than others, even if you change your parking position (which I do).

It seems to me this is a problem that is likelyto manifest itself more and more.

PS "gutted" is hardly the word :-( I've had the car 11 years. It's been carefully looked after, hardly a mark on it, totally original and has done <30k miles.