UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Price guide - Looking to buy

Old 04-10-2019, 04:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Price guide - Looking to buy

Hi all,

Signed up years ago and been a bit of a long term lurker! I'm after a bit of advice, i'm looking to get out of an E46 M3 and into an S2K, reason being is I want something which is a bit more suitable for track work. I'm also hoping to bag a modified one to save me some £££ in the short term.

I came across this, I like the look of it but I can't really put a finger on its value. I don't want to jump into a car and risk losing thousands trying to sell it on (if i didnt like it). The mods are right up my street (although i'd probably look to get a better set of coilies).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-S20...9e1f%7Ciid%3A1

My concerns are:
- Respray / Paint colour change to a non-standard colour : in the past this seems to be a put off / good way to devalue a car?
- Service history is reciepts and not full / stamp / booked (need to find out more).
- High mileage on a supercharged engine, rebuild likely soon?

Where would you guys place this in terms of value? do any of you know the car?

Thoughts/opinions welcome.
Old 04-10-2019, 06:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a nice car in it's own right, it looks like they wanted a TVR. I don't know it or the owner.

I'd only be willing to pay 10k if it was possible to return it to OEM and part the mods out, as it could have been a reasonable toy that paid for itself.

Returning that to OEM looks like mission impossible and would only be worth about 6k once you got it as close as. So, you'd need to get about 8k for the mods to cover the time spent/used OEM parts to return it to OEM.

You haven't explicitly said you need the extra power that example has (nor does the S2k need it IMO), so I'd be looking for a less heavily-modified car, there are plenty at a similar price.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:07 AM

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply. I wouldn't be looking to turn it back to OEM, question is how saleable it is in its current state?

As for power, i've just stepped out of a supercharged mk1 mx5 in a similar track spec, I thoroughly enjoyed the car but was pretty underwhelmed by its power output. I expect even a stock s2000 to feel like a step up, but I can see me wanting to go down a similar route later on anyway.

So looking for a forced induced car is not everything, but its certainly a big plus point.

I was thinking 10-11k was the maximum sensible value, sounds like you agree (and if anything think slightly less?)
Old 04-10-2019, 07:14 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

not the question you asked of course, but I'm not sure how much more suitable the S2000 is for track duty than the M3, really. I guess its a bit lighter, so not so hard on brakes, but it will also be a bit slower. Its down, what, 100bhp on the M3?

I certainly see a good few E46's on trackdays - its a popular choice.

Thats not to say the Honda isn't a hoot to drive on a track - It absolutley is! I suspect it would be more fun/engaging that the M3, but I'm not sure it would post faster lap times.

EDIT - also, I'm given to understand supercharged ones can struggle a bit with heat on track. I'm sure there are solutions track going SC owners can tell you about, but I do vaguely remember reading they can get pretty warm

Last edited by S2Bray; 04-10-2019 at 07:17 AM.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

S2Bray makes a good point about the heat issues with FI cars, and the additional weight and subsequent effect on the balance. Also the S2k is a hoot and plenty quick with minimal mods.

I personally wouldn't buy that car if I wanted to experience the S2k and wasn't sure if I'd keep it, mainly because the market for that car is minute, compared to the market for a decent OEM car which you'll have no problem selling. I wouldn't pay £10k for it when that budget will buy a good OEM one, but you may have the contacts to move that modded car on easily...

If I was taking your approach, I'd get a nice OEM S2k, put some good track tyres on, beef up the brakes, set the geometry up and go from there. If you don't like it you can move it on no problem, or then start modding it/straight swap it for the modded one if you do.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by S2Bray
not the question you asked of course, but I'm not sure how much more suitable the S2000 is for track duty than the M3, really. I guess its a bit lighter, so not so hard on brakes, but it will also be a bit slower. Its down, what, 100bhp on the M3?

I certainly see a good few E46's on trackdays - its a popular choice.

Thats not to say the Honda isn't a hoot to drive on a track - It absolutley is! I suspect it would be more fun/engaging that the M3, but I'm not sure it would post faster lap times.

EDIT - also, I'm given to understand supercharged ones can struggle a bit with heat on track. I'm sure there are solutions track going SC owners can tell you about, but I do vaguely remember reading they can get pretty warm
Fair point, the engaging drive is what interests me and the open top feel. lap times aren't important. I was also hoping consumables/running costs would be cheaper too

My E46 is also completely stock and in very clean condition, so it doesn't seem like the right car for track duties.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Stevo071077
S2Bray makes a good point about the heat issues with FI cars, and the additional weight and subsequent effect on the balance. Also the S2k is a hoot and plenty quick with minimal mods.

I personally wouldn't buy that car if I wanted to experience the S2k and wasn't sure if I'd keep it, mainly because the market for that car is minute, compared to the market for a decent OEM car which you'll have no problem selling. I wouldn't pay £10k for it when that budget will buy a good OEM one, but you may have the contacts to move that modded car on easily...

If I was taking your approach, I'd get a nice OEM S2k, put some good track tyres on, beef up the brakes, set the geometry up and go from there. If you don't like it you can move it on no problem, or then start modding it/straight swap it for the modded one if you do.
Thanks for the input, you make a valid point on resale/liking the car. Will take a wider look at the classifieds!
Old 04-10-2019, 08:10 AM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Having had some experience with your current and proposed situation (owned a few S2ks, and an E46 M3 and now a supercharged S2K) I can say that half the fun is getting to know your S and perhaps modifying it yourself, that way you can be selective with your mods to meet your own driving style and requirements. A near standard S would more likely help you understand what (if much at all) is needed to make the S2 the track choice you require.
The following users liked this post:
G.E (04-12-2019)