UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Project 1050

Old 10-19-2011, 03:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project 1050

Its been a long time since I posted but I have been doing bits of work on the S whenever I can (in between work, baby, wifes phd). I've not have much time, but I've always had a goal for my S since I ripped the softtop 18 months ago. That was to to turn the car into a track car whilst still maintaining a reasonable interior and an ability to drive on regular road.

My goals were always to get the car under 1099kg and I have pretty much got there.

The last time I weighed the car it came in at 1158kg with about 1/4 tag of fuel (and HT on). Since then I have

Replaced the seats with buddyclub ones - probably about 10kg per seat/rail lighter
Replace the stock 16s with JDM BBS 16s (thanks Matt!) about 7-8kg difference overall
Ripped as much of the interior as I am willing to live without and gave it a rattle can dark gray spray on the inside.
Replaces the stock battery with a PC680 (which I am going to relocate to the trunk) ~9 kg lighter

So all in all I am at ~1115kg with the HT (1093kg when driving it as a roadster). Will get it corner weighted again soon to get an accurate measurement

So about another 40kg to go to hit the target. No idea how to do it. All I can see left that is easy is probably the airbags (but that would mean a half cage minimum). air pump delete. Anyone got any more ideas or have I hit the limit before I reach the drastic stuff (although I imagine a lot of you will think it is drastic already!

Anyway here is a shot off where we are at. I plan to build my own flat tonnaeu (out of fibre glass or something) to cover the gap to the boot area over the winter to turn it into a true roadster. Wish me luck.

A quick few photos

Dave
Old 10-19-2011, 03:43 AM

Aircon, stereo and replacing the door cards with panels of CF or something similar.

Then if you decide you can afford it, you can start replacing the panels (boot, bonnet, wings and doors) with carbon fibre or fibreglass.

Lighter brake discs, cut slick tyres and lightweight wheel nuts will save a couple of kilos (but it's all rotational mass so will make more of a difference to handling / changes in speed than the same weight taken off the sprung mass).
Old 10-19-2011, 03:44 AM

Oh and if you want to make it a PROPER roadster - get rid of the screen and fit a teeny tiny plexi glass aero screen

To my knowledge it has never been done, and I gave up trying to photoshop it.

You maaaayyy want to get a cage and some chassis bracing, mind...
Old 10-19-2011, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by keith2.2
Oh and if you want to make it a PROPER roadster - get rid of the screen and fit a teeny tiny plexi glass aero screen

To my knowledge it has never been done, and I gave up trying to photoshop it.

You maaaayyy want to get a cage and some chassis bracing, mind...
Stereo + speakers are gone
Aircon is gone.
There is nothing (and I mean nothing) left in the boot . Bracing is already in J's and Cusco.
R888 are the only R compound tyres that fit 16s but I need to get my sump baffle fitted first..

Yeah, its never going to be a roadster per se, but I just like the word

Unfortunately (or fortunately for my wife) I don't want to get into the world of expensive CF parts.

Perhaps I am hitting the natural limit of what can be done cheaply
Old 10-19-2011, 03:56 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You could wrap some of the interior with immation carbon fibre wrap?
Old 10-19-2011, 03:58 AM

What exhaust do you have?
Old 10-19-2011, 04:04 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Look at his sig
Old 10-19-2011, 04:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What exhaust have you got on there?

Is there any sound deadening you can remove under the carpets in an s2000 like in other Hondas?
Old 10-19-2011, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by s2konroids
Look at his sig
Thats a bit old, but a J'S FX70 titanium + J manifold + berk cat, K&N intake. Not much more to be done there.

I really do think I am at the natural limit now.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by WinFreak
What exhaust have you got on there?

Is there any sound deadening you can remove under the carpets in an s2000 like in other Hondas?
There was

There was some in the boot and some on the transmission tunnel. All long gone . By my reckoning probably note much more than 3-4 kgs, 5 at best

Quick Reply: Project 1050