UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Questions, always questions.. . . ..

Old 11-13-2002, 12:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions, always questions.. . . ..

Hi Guys & Girls,

Well ive racked up about 2300 miles since taking ownership now and am still very very very happy with the S - aside from the fact that as this is my first RWD, I drive the S like a total granny in the wet, my steel cahoonas seem to disappear when the roads are water logged lol, I really must get myself to a handling day to work out exactly how much is too much, and learn the cars limits (in the interests of safety), I was overtaken by a Vectra GSi yesterday on a roundabout in the wet, and just couldnt bring myself to give chase !.

There are as always a few things still confusing me (I know I have issues, but Im talking about the S here). Can anyone answer these -

1) Smelly Clutch -
On a couple of occasions I have parked on a fairly steeply inclined driveway (around 45 degrees) nose first, OK at this point i should add that the car has fully cooled down by the time I return to it a few hours later, then I attempt (very tight driveway fearful for my mirrors) to reverse up the slope and out - much riding of the clutch and gatepost avoiding. As I crest the top of the slope the clutch absolutely stinks. The smell lingers for around 2 or 3 minutes and then is gone. I dont experience any slippage or loss of power during or following this - is this normal ?

2) Tyres -
Assuming I decide to stick with the stock 02's can anyone tell me how long (mileage) I can expect a set of rears/fronts to last ? - assume moderate driving (the occasional ..... OK every chance I get in the dry) and no track days. I will of course be checking religiously for wear but Id like a yard stick to measure against. I am of course **to set Tiffs mind at rest** checking oil every fill up - shes doing fine so far, not too thirsty.

3) Bel 550 Euro question -
I have noticed the usual false alarms and a tendancy to get over excited about petrol stations, which i was expecting but what has surprised me is the number of <possible> false laser alerts I receive. I drive south down the M3 to see the folks pretty regularly, from junction 6 to junction 10/11 now around halfway thru this journey just after the new services near winchester I always seem to get a laser alert.
Similarly I have friends in Cullompton and Exter - which is always a good excuse for an A303 / M5 blast. I did exactly that this weekend, and at several points on the M5 I got laser alerts but could see no discernable threat, nothing on bridges, nothing roadside, and this was all in a stretch from Cullompton (heading back North/East) up towards Yeoville - I got several in a row. Is my unit faulty ? - I didnt think laser alerts were usually false. (one was real - van and hairdrier toting donut eater - gave him a as I passed at 45 mph)

As usual all contributions greatfully recieved.

R.

ps - Roll on May 2003 - SM3 beckons.
Old 11-13-2002, 12:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Point 1.
I think thats the cat thats smelling not the clutch.

Point 2.
Not enough experience to answer, someone else will help you

Point 3.
All the false alarms must make the whole point of that sort of detector pretty pointless, as you`d be slowing at every petrol station you drove past (which, thinking about it is what the S wants!)
Old 11-13-2002, 01:01 AM

Originally posted by M@verick
1) Smelly Clutch -
Not sure I agree with CC about the clutch - I've had the same kind of experience as M@verick, with a rather unpleasant smell arising after extended periods of e.g holding the car on the clutch in delicate maneouvring. It's happened to me on a number of occasions, but has always dissipated within a couple of minutes and I've not noticed any ill effects in terms of the clutch slipping subsequently.

It's dicussed in this thread here
Old 11-13-2002, 01:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That smell is the clutch. The S2000 clutch-plate is made of compressed dead fish. The first time I smelled it was showing off my one and only "rapid standing start" to a 15 stone passenger. Never again.

I drive quickly but don't spin the wheels etc. so I had 11,000 miles from the original set of tyres. I then changed to Goodyear F1 Eagles and have done 14,500 on the rears (which are now pretty much gone) but still have 7/8 mm left on the fronts.

I've had two or three (preumed) false laser alerts from the Bel Euro - always on motorways

Pete
Old 11-13-2002, 01:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had clutch smells during the first few weeks of ownership (2 1/2 year old car when I got it) until I changed my driving style quite considerably and went against everything I was ever taught about smooth car control! The road away from my house involves a tight right and then a sharp incline, sometimes I have to reverse up if there are a lot of cars parked along the road.

The difference I made was not to ride the clutch, simple really but it does go against natural instinct! I find the S will move at very low speed in 1st so I lift the clutch as quickly as possible at around 2k rpm and control the speed on throttle only, the EMU seems to prevent stalling well even on a hill.

I think the reason for being able to drive like this is the gear ratios as a result of having a 6 speed box, 1st is so low that it is surprisingly versatile.

I have not had any clutch smells since making this change.

- Frisky.
Old 11-13-2002, 01:28 AM

Cheers guys, will check the thread out.

I completely agree pete, the friction plate must be made of some dead fish / marmite / cat poo composite, I cannot positively identify the percentage make up of these components but I dont think I would want to smell that with a hangover - it would definitely result in vomit.

I still think the Bell is useful regardless of false alarms, as long as I remember not to be complacent with it, as it has definitely given me prior warning of at least two real laser traps (i wont mention what speed I was doing on the last one, but the motorway lamps had blurred into a straight line ) and in these days, any advanced warning even just a few % of all threats is worth owning the required ECM to get - to my mind. I will be adding a road angel soon though i think.

CC - I dont think the smell is the CAT, theres no detectable scent of suplhur/eggs - its much worse ! - smells like burning Kung Fu pants .. ... ...

R.
Old 11-13-2002, 03:59 AM

I have never suffered a smelly clutch (Is that a medical term?)...

I have had 18,000 miles out of my rears (original tyres). When they were swapped the fronts still had 6/7 on them.

Sam.
Old 11-13-2002, 04:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tire's seem to last between 9-12k for most Uk drivers. That's enjoying the car on the road - not just cruising.

One important thing, is that the S02JZ's lose performance quite a way before the treads at the legal limit. Mine had lost enough grip to prompt replacement at a about 2.5mm tread on the back. Keep the pressures at 32psi all round, and you'll probably feel the tires going off before you're low on tread.

-Brian.
Old 11-13-2002, 04:20 AM

Originally posted by M@verick
Hi Guys & Girls,
1) Smelly Clutch -
Burning the clutch as others have suggested. Experienced a bit of this at SM2 trying to do donuts. Won't do this again.
[QUOTE][B]
3) Bel 550 Euro question -
Old 11-13-2002, 04:45 AM

Hmmm an interesting theory Chris, I guess it depends on what is meant by the term "near", the falsies I get tend to be just past Winchester on the M3 (and last weekend on the M5 just past Cullompton Northbound) I dont think either of these places are that near an airport ?. One of my friends works for GKN Westland, and is a bit of a boffin with this sort of stuff, will ask him whether this is a possible explanation.

Cheers for the advice on tyres guys - any recommendations as to which particular pressure guage to get my grubby mits on ? - I dont actually own such a device at present <shame on me>

R.

ps - the rain and dirge appears to be lifting which unfortunately means my view of Waterloo (right outside my office window) is now prevalent again - and I hate being reminded of having to get a train home (more unreliable than both the french cars I used to own put together ) however .. . . . it does mean is on the cards when I finally do get home if the roads stay dryish - cant wait.

Quick Reply: Questions, always questions.. . . ..