UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Radar detectors

Old 10-16-2001, 12:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seriously now... if it helps... get one. It's all very worrying this preoccupation with speed limits. INAPPROPRIATE speed is the danger IMHO. I've always said anyone who gets done by a police car or bike isn't using their mirrors, but I've lost count of the number of times on the motorway that police cars have slid into my blind spot and stayed there, despite the fact that the main stream of traffic was going faster! To those who say they were probably admiring the car I say OH YEAH!!! This car is a magnet to certain kinds of lawmen guys. Oh well... at least I didn't get a red one.

Cameras of course are something else I did take a look at some detectors in Halfords recently. If I did get one, I'd have to arrange a power point for it somewhere in the dash. I couldn't live with the cable trailing from where the present power socket is.
Old 10-17-2001, 01:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[i]I did take a look at some detectors in Halfords recently. If I did get one, I'd have to arrange a power point for it somewhere in the dash. I couldn't live with the cable trailing from where the present power socket is. [/B]
Mine sits just to the right of the instrument binnacle and is fed by a short cable up from the fusebox below. It's held in place by velcro and so it's very easy to remove as a theft precaution when parking top down
Old 10-19-2001, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Laser diffusers are not yet illegal.....no one has been caught using one yet and prosecuted by the police. There is no precedence set yet under UK law (as was the case with radar detectors until a few years ago)...they would try to prosecute for perverting the course of justice....but a) theyve got to catch you actively using it...not just installed in your car...and b) sucessfully prosecute. I think its a risk worth taking ;-)
Old 10-19-2001, 08:41 AM

Well, a neighbour of mine is a traffic cop in Wiltshire, he tells me the laser knows it is being jammed and reports that to the operator.
While it's true they haven't prosecuted yet, the difference between a radar detector and a laser jammer is fairly distinct.
If the purpose of radar speed traps are to reduce accidents in blackspots (I know, I know, bear with me...) then the Law can hardly prosecute someone for wishing to be warned where excessive speed is considered dangerous.
However using a device to actively interfere with detection devices to allow you to break the law is a different matter, you are stopping the device from detecting your speed in order (the law would argue) to be able to continue to speed with impugnity (sp?).

I don't think you can draw the same conclusions due to a lack of prosecutions - be careful.
Old 10-19-2001, 10:05 AM

Interesting - I had expected a vast flood of 'I've a V1' or 'I've a Belxxx'.
Done - at a rough calc - 1.25-1.5 mio miles - mostly -xcpt in 30's & 40's (about which I am as the US says 'anal') - outside the speed limit (places to go, people to see)- had 5 tickets - 2 from police by the road - 2 from unmarked cars - and 1 - to my eternal embarassment from a marked police car (the driver was v clever- as I told him)- always felt 'it was a fair cop, guv' - and kicked self for not being more observant. The police are I think v reasonable - just following instructions.
Every two years I take myself off on some sort of driving course - road or track - just to wake myself up.
But things in this pc country we live in are hotting up and I don't think 'appropriate speed' comes into it.
So - feeling twitchy.
BUT then I notice with the S2000 - the essential accessory is a digital camera! Stuck with an SLR and multiple lenses - shd I buy a detector or a digital first?
I think the SC can wait until I have learnt how to drive the S2000 at 10/10 - by then I shall probably be on the Zimmer frame
Old 10-20-2001, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by mikerich

So do I get a V1?
I have a V1 and you'd have to pry it from my cold dead hands to take it from me. It saved me Tuesday doing 93 in a 65 zone which makes me do this ----->

It's a big ugly brick but it has paid for itself many times over. 4 years, no tickets, never even been pulled over. Yup, excellent investment, worth every penny. It can easily be wired into the electronics and the power run through the windshield frame to the passenger side of the rv mirror. Simple connect/disconnect with a phone cord type jack for when you are away from the car.

It picks up a lot of stray noise in urban areas and from certain vehicles (??? not sure why ???) but when it yells it's usually dead on. The direction indicator is the best feature. It allows you to quickly analyze the threat and where it might be. Excellent viability front and rear. I usually get ample time to make speed changes without it going into a panic.

Highly recommended.
Old 10-20-2001, 11:36 PM

Originally posted by cthree

I have a V1 and you'd have to pry it from my cold dead hands to take it from me. It saved me Tuesday doing 93 in a 65 zone which makes me do this ----->
Highly recommended.
Thx!
I'll go for that