UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Rattling Hardtop Catches - Solution!

Old 10-03-2009, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattling Hardtop Catches - Solution!

Fitted hardtop this week - rattling front catches driving me insane!

Set to work today to adjust the weatherseal gaps at the rear (using the hardtop fitting guide and adjusting the 3 bolts in the B pillar) and pulled the hardtop as far back as possible to create more tension on the front catches.

Problem pretty much solved on the drivers side but passenger as bad as ever.

Enter Mrs Ford with her adhesive scratch proof pads (bought from Homebase for putting under things to stop them scratching surfaces)

Added 2 small ones to the hook on the hardtop catch to create more tension when snapped shut, and three slightly larger ones to the part of the catch attached to the roof (the area that the catch snaps back into). RESULT!!

No more rattles, wind noise dramatically reduced and even goes well over the cobbles in the middle of our High Street!

The pads used were hexagonal in shape and about 5mm thick - came in a packet of 20 small and 20 large - best £2.99 I've spent in a while.

Hope this helps someone who hates rattles as much as me!
Old 10-03-2009, 01:11 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Slip a bit of clear tube over the hooks.
Shuts them up, or wrap a little self amalgamating tape around them.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:37 AM

Apologies for the bump:

I have the very same problem.
Honda corrected problem in January - it worked for 3 months; took my roof off and have now put it back on with exactly the same problem as pre-January!

Most users I have found are stating it's their brackets that are noisy. My whole roof is banging around. It's beyond words and is shockingly noisy.

My brackes are quite loose on the pull of the roof.
I've put a screwdriver to the roof and they are all tight.

It looks like I'm going to be heading to Honda!
Old 10-12-2009, 05:53 AM

I had the same problems as you Walshie. 10 cm of clear tube from Homebase and a pot of Shin Etsu Grease as recommended on here and my roof doesnt make a noise at all. I was quoted £90 to look at it from a dealer which I decided against.

Grease round all the rubber seals that sit on the body and cut the clear tube down to fit over the hooks that go into the strikers on the body. this stops both the rattles and creaks.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My hard top will be making it's yearly appearance very soon, and the problem I had last year was the folded soft top rattling as I drove along. It would bounce up and down and made an awful racket. At times I just wanted to pull over and rip the dame thing out of the car. I've never been in such a noisy car as the S, and I've been in some shi1t boxes.

My plan this time is to fold the roof down and use some cheap black towels to help cushion the frame and help prevent rattle. I'll give it a go and report back on here with my findings.

If people are getting a lot of wind noise around the front catches, you can replace the catch bolts with slightly longer ones, and place two each washers either side of the catch to push it further out (4 washers per catch), so the roof hook has to stretch further and make a tighter seal. This helped reduce wind noise in my car when on the motorway
Old 10-12-2009, 08:09 AM

Your hardtop should have bits on it that push the soft top right down to stop it rattling? Kind of bump stop things...(cant explain them very well!)
Old 10-12-2009, 08:14 AM
Banned

Received 131 Likes on 119 Posts

You need to cable tie the soft top latches too, to stop them rattling.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by mattg4321,Oct 12 2009, 08:14 AM
You need to cable tie the soft top latches too, to stop them rattling.
Interesting - how do you do this exactly? I get a lot of rattles from my stowed soft top and played around with it to no avail so I might have this issue.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by s2khatcher,Nov 20 2010, 07:04 PM
Interesting - how do you do this exactly? I get a lot of rattles from my stowed soft top and played around with it to no avail so I might have this issue.
I just simply use black tape to hold down the little catches on the soft top, does the trick just fine.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:31 PM
Community Organizer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your hardtop-softop strikers are in good shape just follow all the steps described in the thread below from member Putney. If not then i suggest you to replace them and after follow the guide below

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=830326

Quick Reply: Rattling Hardtop Catches - Solution!