UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Rear damage !!

Old 10-28-2001, 09:52 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Sorry to hear about it.

If it's any consolation, it probably looks worse than it is. The rear bumper most likely flexed into the light and stressed the cover.

With 245 section rear tyres, the rear suspension must be pretty strong, so a metal panel is unlikely to misalign it.

Good luck with the repair.
Old 10-28-2001, 10:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nasty:

Oooh shite...that really sucks.

The police wont view it as criminal damage, which has to be deliberate!

I would ring the police to put your mind at rest, but I would suspect a private club car park is way out of their jurisdiction!

The law has changed in recent years to encompass some public car parks, but as far as I am aware a private one is not going to be included. If that is the case, the scumbag who hit your car has committed no offence in the eyes of the law. If it was on a road, he could be done for failing to stop and report the accident.

It all comes down to the legal definition of 'road' which can include the footpaths grass verges and even unfenced areas abutting the road. If it's not on a 'road' the police wont want to know. In fact that sounds terrible. They aren't empowered to act in those circumstances!

If you can find the person responsible and preferably a witness, your redress is at civil law I'm afraid!

Is there any indication of the colour of the offending vehicle transferred to your car. There often is!

Check with the police anyway, they may know something about a related incident as Andy said!

Take some paint scrapings from your car, put them in a sealed plastic bag. If you ever find a suspect it will be a lever to negotiations at least. You can in fact submit your control sample scraping and any suspect one you might get in the future for independent forensic analysis, if you end up going the civil court route.

Scrotes like that really get me going!! I hope you get it sorted mate.
Old 10-28-2001, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the place you were at have a notice board. Maybe you could post a message detailing the incident.
The offender may be known to some of the 'locals' and somebody may be happy to 'give them up'.
Just a thought.
Old 10-29-2001, 12:20 PM

Ok,

some developments.....

I got a mail back from the golf course:

After enquiries we have found that another guest left this car number ****** (edited out by myself for obvious reasons). This is the only information we have. Regards.

So do I contact the police now ?
Surely I need to involve the police to find the owner of the plate I was given ?

Anyhow, any advise is appreciated.
I rang Honda today... they can sort it all out for me. Im just hoping that this plate I was given is the guy/gal that did it....
I think I should call the police tonight after recieving this information.......?
Old 10-29-2001, 12:33 PM

Damn right you should call the police! If you have no joy with them I think the DVLA will disclose the address of a car owner if you have the reg numberfor a small fee (about
Old 10-29-2001, 01:57 PM

ok,

called the police. If the car park is accessable by the public then it counts. This car park is, so its classed as an offence for the other driver to drive away. There are some laws that govern this, but I think im good to go.

Basically you've got 24 hours to report the accident.
They wouldnt deal with it over the phone, and I have to go in with my documents.
Im not having much luck as my local police station isnt manned 24 hours, so I have to wait until the morning, which pushes it over the 24 hour limiter.....

I think I should be ok... I'll just explain the circumstances.
Old 10-29-2001, 03:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you get the name of the person you spoke to on the phone? That phone call should count as reporting the accident, whether or not it was officially recorded.

As for leaving the scene, I would have thought that since they left their registration number, they wouldn't get prosecuted for leaving. It should just be left to the insurance companies to sort it out once the police have put you in touch with that person....

Keep us informed please....

And good luck....
Old 10-29-2001, 10:41 PM

This sounds promising
Old 10-30-2001, 10:42 AM

ok,
Its officially a 'non stop' - which by all accounts is an offence. I had several encouraging conversations with various police officers. It all depends on which county deems the place as a 'road' or not. Tamworth would do, so I suspect do Derby.

Anyhow, I filled out the forms this morning at the local police station. This will be forwarded to Derby (where it happened).
They wanted my drivers license, insurance docs and place, time, witnessess etc etc.

If it turns out to be the case that this car was involved then the driver could be in serious (?) trouble for not stopping..... tsk tsk. Anyhow, for the time being its in the hands of the law to determine whether this is the case or not. (innocent until proven.. and all that)

I just want to get my car back to normal, im not worried about prosecuting........ (at the moment)
Old 10-30-2001, 12:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jonathan:

Great!! It sounds like you're home and dry.

There's no way this guy has complied with the law. He should have furnished you with his name AND address AND reg'd no. (In the case of personal injury he's also required to furnish insurance details). Failing that, he must report the accident as soon as reasonably practicable AND IN ANY CASE, within 24 hours.

Still .. at least he's left his number which would suggest he wants to do the right thing by you. Reading between the lines, this being a club, no doubt the guy was carrying a drop at the time and didn't want to hang about for fear of being breath tested.

It sounds like you're going to be O.K.

Quick Reply: Rear damage !!