UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Removing the air pump

Old 01-02-2012, 08:47 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wish I never started this lol, still on with it.

Looks like my pump wasn't broke but will update thread if I have the time.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by s2konroids

I am pretty sure that when I fitted my supercharger the pipe that went to the standard airbox just vented to air,as in I just stuck it through a hole in the inner wing.So as far as I am aware you need to remove the " thing" at the back of the engine..the secondary air valve, I think and put a blanking plate on it.Remove all the pipework and gubbins,Take the main connector of the pump under the bumper,Remove the pump.You need to put the resistor(Mat supplied me with one ,thanks Mat)between the 2 heavy gauge wires that go to the pump.That should be it...but I cant test it because I have no engine yet.I would stand to be corrected if what I say is wrong.

The reason I have removed mine is to tidy up the engine bay a bit.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:01 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I can look at mine tomorrow and post pics if need be.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:28 AM

If you could mate please, I think I may have figured it out but my relay may have failed.

Does anyone have one for sale? - its the cylinder denso thing.

Cheers
Old 01-02-2012, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by mr-pitts
Originally Posted by s2konroids' timestamp='1325526453' post='21278992

I am pretty sure that when I fitted my supercharger the pipe that went to the standard airbox just vented to air,as in I just stuck it through a hole in the inner wing.So as far as I am aware you need to remove the " thing" at the back of the engine..the secondary air valve, I think and put a blanking plate on it.Remove all the pipework and gubbins,Take the main connector of the pump under the bumper,Remove the pump.You need to put the resistor(Mat supplied me with one ,thanks Mat)between the 2 heavy gauge wires that go to the pump.That should be it...but I cant test it because I have no engine yet.I would stand to be corrected if what I say is wrong.

The reason I have removed mine is to tidy up the engine bay a bit.
If your setup is like mine you will need to remove the vac lines but keep one, as one is fed to a Divertor valve that works off vacuum. Also I'm unsure if i can get rid of the vacuum box and what to do with a line that goes from the vacuum box to the air solenoid.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:23 AM

I am not quite sure what you are saying,I had a vacuum pipe to the secondary air pump which went along my fuel rail but I think that was the only one. I had to put a T piece in it to run my dump valve and boost gauge. I don't remember any other small bore vacuum pipes,but I could be wrong.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:38 AM

Glen,

There are 2 vaccum lines, at the end one goes to the EGR valve the other to the rear of the intake manifold. However at the other end you have a pipe that goes to the air control valve (which has an electrical connector) and from there goes into the vacuum tank back out and into the air control control valve.

I'm wondering basically what you with the air control valve, since theoretically you can remove the vacuum tank and all pipes but that leaves the air control valve basically unconnected vacuum wise but not electric plug wise. I plan to run a vacuum line from the port at the back of the intake manifold straight to the Divertor valve on my supercharger.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:56 AM

If you get the chance look at the fitting instructions on the Tts/rotrex, website,that told me what to do with various bits,failing that I will have a look at the weekend and let you know what I did.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s2konroids
If you could mate please, I think I may have figured it out but my relay may have failed.

Does anyone have one for sale? - its the cylinder denso thing.

Cheers
Any pics? I've probably got one somewhere.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:47 PM

Will do thanks Glen.

Think i will leave all connected, do a run in the car and see if i get a CEL then slowly begin to remove things. I'm really hoping the resistor trick will work and its my relay that's faulty. I reckon with everything, vac tank, brackets the lot removed its around 5KG (will help negate most of the weight on the front end, as already have lightweight manifold, no heatshield etc)

Simon, this is the item for future reference, unfortunately i have just bought one - i reckon a normal relay would do now due to the load but couldnt be bothered pissing about!.

Quick Reply: Removing the air pump