UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Rip in hood / Gearbox queries

Old 01-07-2011, 12:36 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by number7,Jan 7 2011, 11:03 AM
Rich - not a bad idea but I can't see them dropping by 2k when they get it done at trade prices. I reckon 100-150 for the door (I had a door done for 50 but it was just one ding) and 200-400 for a repair on the hood (just a guess). So to them it would make more sense to do the work and sell at advertised price than me pay them 2k less.
I think for some reason they don't want to sell the car retail, and want it to go to auction as it would be no big deal to put it right. At auction it's pure buyer beware, mayby there is somthing big wrong with it, I would walk, and as you say if you did buy this one the experence the dealer has given you would leave a bad taste.
Good luck with the hunt you have some good guys on your side!

Old 01-07-2011, 12:57 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard of this dealer and their chain. Someone who isn't me may have bought something from them at some point. They might say that it was a bit of a Swiss Tony experience and they will sort things out but you need to push them. They may say that the employees could be selling three ring binders for all they know about cars. But the cars tend to be ok once they are sorted.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:54 PM

Cool

Originally Posted by gt750boy,Jan 7 2011, 01:57 PM
They may say that the employees could be selling three ring binders for all they know about cars.
Your not kidding. I mentioned the nurb blue they have in another dealer and the blue leather interior and he said blue leather was rare :-) ........ totally rare in anything except nurb blue :-)

Also, I was wondering if the steering had any vertical adjustment and he didn't have a clue ..... we both looked but could not find it .... I still don't know. I assume not?

To be fair seems par for the course with most dealers, they never seem to know their product.

Rich, I just don't think he can bothered .... I'm probably too much hassle and not an easy sell.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:58 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by number7,Jan 7 2011, 02:54 PM
Also, I was wondering if the steering had any vertical adjustment and he didn't have a clue ..... we both looked but could not find it .... I still don't know. I assume not?

Rich, I just don't think he can bothered .... I'm probably too much hassle and not an easy sell.
No adjustment on the wheel it either fits you or it dosn't.

I must admit that comment was a bit far fetched as you seem to have come accross "anti-salesman".
Old 01-07-2011, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by richmc,Jan 7 2011, 02:58 PM
No adjustment on the wheel it either fits you or it dosn't.

I must admit that comment was a bit far fetched as you seem to have come accross "anti-salesman".
Rich, I was initially worried I wouldn't like the tan/brown leather and after an initial very brief conversation with the salesman I'd said I wasn't sure on the leather colour (something that once I'd opened my mind to and stopped thinking red/black two tone I actually liked).

I think he thought I was just probably not going to buy ..... I later went onto say the leather was not the issue (it was the condition) but I think he'd probably formed an opinion that I may not be worth putting too much time into ..... I dunno sometimes dealers can be quite accommodating (for obvious reasons) .... ie go and take the car for spin with your wife (yes she traveled with me to have a look) .... Two Mills as mentioned previously handed me keys to one of the Type Rs a few years ago and just said have it for an hour.

Just a vibe you get ..... I had told him I was coming 2 days earlier and to be honest I'm not even sure he remembered. Nothing against him personally just feel that after traveling so far and spending not far of £40 in petrol it's obvious I'm a keen buyer ...... why not do the work if he is so confident and just ask me for a small deposit to firm up my interest whilst they do the work.

I just need to put it to bed I think.

In terms of the steering wheel - I'm 5'6 so I have to move the seat forward but then I felt my arms a bit to close to the wheel, a bit like I was sat on top of it ..... not lots of room in the elbows (quite bunched up) although I suspect some more adjustments with the seat position and recline would sort that a bit more. I didn't notice that much on the move. Felt some height would have helped as it felt a tad low but it was OK.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:14 PM
Banned

Like I said, three ring binders...