UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

S2000 Track Car

Old 03-20-2014, 12:11 PM
BCA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car is so scary, even my tyres have claws.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by surfer_crx
When I took it on track it was completely standard and it worked really well with the exception of the brakes and the tyres so first things to get upgraded are the brakes, some yellowstuffs are on order but I haven't decided on tyres yet.
I think you might be pretty disappointed with Yellow Stuff on track. They can't take the heat so go off after a few laps. I didn't think they were much better than OEM.

You would probably be best getting something more track oriented and keeping the Yellow Stuff in the track spares box for the day when you go through to the backing plates at the track on your decent pads and need something to get you home.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ebc pads I personally had on my Clio after roughly 40 laps (my first ever trackday also so no heroics). As you can see they are wrecked, and I was lucky they didn't completely fall apart on track!
Old 03-22-2014, 12:36 AM

I've read a lot of good and bad things about the EBC pads, however they have been 'improving' the compunds a lot over the last year or two. I had a lot of trouble with my brakes overheating on the CRX and went to yellows and they were fantastic so thought I would give them a shot in the S2000, if they aren't great I will just stick them in the road car. I'm confident they will be adequate for me, at least for a few months. I'll find out tomorrow anyway, as I'm back at Blyton for the day.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:07 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I can't knock the Yellowstuffs either mate.

They took a hammering at Oulton park on a 30 min session with no fade at all.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:41 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

You get different performance from different pads on different cars.

The s2000 is relatively heavy for its brakes and yellow stuff just aren't up to the job.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If I were you I'd fabricate some brake ducting to keep them a bit cooler.

I'm using ds2500 and they always start juddering at the end of a trackday because they run too hot
Old 03-22-2014, 02:18 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by lower
You get different performance from different pads on different cars.

The s2000 is relatively heavy for its brakes and yellow stuff just aren't up to the job.

Each to their own, but that's a sweeping statement if I ever saw it.

If anything they're over spec'd for the car. Plenty more cars out there with much smaller brakes and more power
Old 03-22-2014, 05:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs up for CL breaks!
Old 04-02-2014, 12:08 PM

Bit of an update:

I put a picture of the CRX in my first post for those that wanted to see it, it now looks a lot sadder than that. It's unfortunate that I had to break it but it owed me a good chunk of money and no-one really wants a 26 year old Honda as a track car, regardless of how rare it is.

I took the car to Blyton the Sunday before last to give the new brakes a test and just have a bit of a hoon around. I got a few laps in on a dry circuit first off and got the brakes up to temp, took it easy for three sessions to bed them in as advised. Then let let rip, the good thing is the brakes are so much better than the crappy OEM type materials, they have good stopping power and didn't fade all day long on the downside they made the tyres go off so much more quickly on the dry track so I put my 17s on with OEM bridgestone tyres. That was a terrible idea, I took to the track three times hoping that they were going to improve but they were horrendous, I'm not sure whether the tyres are just crap or whether they are too old to be any good.

Anyway it started pissing down so out came the rainsports, I could go faster in the wet with the rainsports than I could in the dry with the bridgestones.

Bit of a mixed day, I didn't get any clear laps in in the dry and very few in the wet but it was hilarious. Driving just becomes more fun when the weather turns bad if you are in an S2000 compared to a FWD car.

However I have a new shopping list and it consists of tyres and geometry. I also have a spare set of stone guards for the front brakes so will be making cooling ducts for them. I'm also not sure whether to put my BC coilovers on the track car and put the OEM dampers back on the road car and then fit some Eibach springs. Definitely some thinking to be done.

Quick Reply: S2000 Track Car