UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Sanity check

Old 06-21-2017, 06:41 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by sanch3z
Perhaps my expectations are too high but i've never let a car get like the ones i've seen. Maybe I need to look at a couple of decent examples so I have a benchmark... Anyone near me fancy showing theirs off? Would be interested to see some before/after pics of bodywork. The one I saw had poorly fitting bumpers front and rear and whilst the current seller is sure it's not been in a crunch I can't see any other reason for this.
Where is "near you"?

FWIW I got a mint 14,000 mile '09 car last year after searching for about a week. I had to pay a lot for it, though.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Where is "near you"?

FWIW I got a mint 14,000 mile '09 car last year after searching for about a week. I had to pay a lot for it, though.
RG40

Sounds like a nice motor... As i'll not be driving much I want one that isn't going to cost a bomb if it sits there a little bit so i'm looking for a pre March 23/06 for the lower tax band. That and being tight
Old 06-21-2017, 07:18 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

As lovegroova said ..... they are out there but you have to be prepared to pay for the quality ones . I happily paid 12k for a 04 plate .
Old 06-21-2017, 07:40 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by richmc
The one with the red roof is a scam, don't even go for the barge pole!
Cool, got to know... i was 'border line' tempted to sell mine for it mostly for the low milage
Old 06-21-2017, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Bodyboarder1981
As lovegroova said ..... they are out there but you have to be prepared to pay for the quality ones . I happily paid 12k for a 04 plate .
yup, I wouldn't disagree. When did you get yours and with what mileage? Can make a big difference in price.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by richmc
The one with the red roof is a scam, don't even go for the barge pole!
how is it a scam? Interested to know so I don't get caught by similar in the future...
Old 06-21-2017, 07:52 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Perhaps my expectations are too high but i've never let a car get like the ones i've seen. Maybe I need to look at a couple of decent examples so I have a benchmark... Anyone near me fancy showing theirs off? Would be interested to see some before/after pics of bodywork. The one I saw had poorly fitting bumpers front and rear and whilst the current seller is sure it's not been in a crunch I can't see any other reason for this.
Dont settle buy the BEST you can afford... iam on my 3rd s2000. Currently own two. First was 80k miles JDM with crappy paint and all sorts of issues. i got it fully resprayed/fixed but accident meant write off then i bought low milage pristine silverstone with about 30k miles and kept it as future classic. (currently in storage and driven every 6 months). Also bought second resprayed suzuka blue 80k UK import (live in NL now). But to be honest it had rattly tct, never done valve clerances, rust repairs, exhaust falling apart and siezed calipers, compliance bushes had to be cut out and all sorts of Uk/salt related problems. ...so you can go via that diy route but unless you know what to do yourself i would not recommend this to 's2000 beginner'.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:59 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

yup, I wouldn't disagree. When did you get yours and with what mileage? Can make a big difference in price.
bought it 6 months ago and had 25k on with full Honda history . Very good condition with not one seized bolt and hard top .
Old 06-21-2017, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Bodyboarder1981
bought it 6 months ago and had 25k on with full Honda history . Very good condition with not one seized bolt and hard top .
Someone found the needle. I would part with £12k for one like that Private or dealer?
The following users liked this post:
Bodyboarder1981 (06-21-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by miloking
Dont settle buy the BEST you can afford... iam on my 3rd s2000. Currently own two. First was 80k miles JDM with crappy paint and all sorts of issues. i got it fully resprayed/fixed but accident meant write off then i bought low milage pristine silverstone with about 30k miles and kept it as future classic. (currently in storage and driven every 6 months). Also bought second resprayed suzuka blue 80k UK import (live in NL now). But to be honest it had rattly tct, never done valve clerances, rust repairs, exhaust falling apart and siezed calipers, compliance bushes had to be cut out and all sorts of Uk/salt related problems. ...so you can go via that diy route but unless you know what to do yourself i would not recommend this to 's2000 beginner'.
Always used to service my own motors, have unseized calipers, changed discs/pads, wheel bearings, starters and various electrical bits and bobs but no mechanic. Gravel drive and kids is probably my biggest limitation but will have more time in the future Must admit it's been a few years since my tools have had a workout

Quick Reply: Sanity check