UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Sanity check

Old 06-21-2017, 08:44 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by sanch3z
Always used to service my own motors, have unseized calipers, changed discs/pads, wheel bearings, starters and various electrical bits and bobs but no mechanic. Gravel drive and kids is probably my biggest limitation but will have more time in the future Must admit it's been a few years since my tools have had a workout
trust me even the pritine examples will need some tlc as even the youngest ones will be 8 years old and they do all suffer some common issues...so its good you are ready for it.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Something to consider about bodywork.

"immaculate" Always good to find immaculate but being realistic if you find a 10 year plus old s2000 with "immaculate" bodywork i'd personally be wary. It would worry me that the car is potentially hiding all sorts of bodywork issues. You can paint a car to a standard where it looks to be a very good finish but will soon have the rust that its hiding coming back through. I'd be worried that I was paying top money for a car that is "immaculate" but is really just an average car with rust under new paint.

That is the main reason I found a car that looks very very presentable but has bodywork with a few minor issues. I'd say my car was as honest as the day is long but "immaculate" no. I am however 100% confident that i'm not going to have any hidden issues coming through and if I wanted to get the car immaculate I could and know the car hasn't or ever has had any major rust issues.

Hope that makes sense
Old 06-21-2017, 08:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Alps Pacino
Something to consider about bodywork.

"immaculate" Always good to find immaculate but being realistic if you find a 10 year plus old s2000 with "immaculate" bodywork i'd personally be wary. It would worry me that the car is potentially hiding all sorts of bodywork issues. You can paint a car to a standard where it looks to be a very good finish but will soon have the rust that its hiding coming back through. I'd be worried that I was paying top money for a car that is "immaculate" but is really just an average car with rust under new paint.

That is the main reason I found a car that looks very very presentable but has bodywork with a few minor issues. I'd say my car was as honest as the day is long but "immaculate" no. I am however 100% confident that i'm not going to have any hidden issues coming through and if I wanted to get the car immaculate I could and know the car hasn't or ever has had any major rust issues.

Hope that makes sense
Yes, I guess that's true but there is no reason the bodywork shouldn't be dent, scratch and rust free if it has been cared for and used mostly as an 'extra' car by the owners? My own cars have fared well with little TLC. My problem will be detecting one with legitimate bodywork and rust free. Very difficult to do without having it up on a ramp which is a problem when buying privately...
Old 06-21-2017, 09:10 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

how is it a scam? Interested to know so I don't get caught by similar in the future...
Don't think the ebay red roof one in Torquay is a scam, but the photos have all been copied and the car offered for sale at under £5000 on Pistonheads. It's been advertised 3 times in the last couple of weeks from Gloucestershire, Leicester and Norfolk with just a mobile phone number as contact. It gets removed by PH and is definitely a scam.
Just do your homework, and if a deal looks too good to be true, it probably is.
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-irela...space-1173983/
Old 06-21-2017, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I guess that's true but there is no reason the bodywork shouldn't be dent, scratch and rust free if it has been cared for and used mostly as an 'extra' car by the owners? My own cars have fared well with little TLC. My problem will be detecting one with legitimate bodywork and rust free. Very difficult to do without having it up on a ramp which is a problem when buying privately...
Agreed. However mine is a 2005 with 64k and has been used as a second car. Still has a few very minor bits of bubbling here and there. Very minor but it is there.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:23 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Someone found the needle. I would part with £12k for one like that Private or dealer?
that was private .... it came up for sale and with in 3 hours I went and bought it .
Old 06-21-2017, 12:40 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

In the interest of balance, I'd say just buy one that is for sale from a member, ignore the colour (except Ladyboy of course) and then drive the arse out of it.

All this future classic nonsense is not what the car is about. #itajustahonda
Old 06-21-2017, 01:27 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

how is it a scam? Interested to know so I don't get caught by similar in the future...
Also been on piston heads a couple of times, they get a deposit from you and disappear.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CynicG
In the interest of balance, I'd say just buy one that is for sale from a member, ignore the colour (except Ladyboy of course) and then drive the arse out of it.

#itsjustacolour
Old 06-22-2017, 12:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CynicG

I totally agreed but...

My work situation is changing at the end of the year, currently work from home and have no need for a car however i'm not sure how much commuting I will have to do going forward. I feel that if I do have to commute (depressing thought) then I would rather do it in something that makes me smile. On the flip-side there is a chance work will continue as it is and I wont need a car. Suffice to say my future is not predictable at the moment... This is where my hunt for the right thing started as I needed something to fit the following criteria:

1. Something that wont drop rapidly in value
2. Something that justifies being cared for and used as a 'fun' thing occasionally
3. Something that begs you to take it out once in a while
4. Something that can be used as a daily commute if necessary

When you have this list of criteria there are very few cars that make the grade, this coupled with a long yearning for an S make it the perfect companion.

So on balance, sure it shouldn't be bought for entirely for future value but it's a consideration (for me) as it might be sat on my drive for 2-5 years and not used a whole lot until my kids are a bit older...

Quick Reply: Sanity check