UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Shock absorber bushes

Old 02-07-2012, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks! Out of interest, how many of your bolts were siezed?
Old 02-08-2012, 10:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have owned an 02 S2000 for about 6 years now and it's rarely ever taken out the garage with about 30k on the clock. Am planning on up rating all the bushing with proflex ones but am starting to get worried about all the seized suspension horror stories!! Has anyone one got a link to another thread which details the problems so I can be prepared when I take it up on the ramp?
Old 02-09-2012, 03:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kieran - if you look in the FAQ there is a section towards the end all about siezed bushes. Have a butcher's through this and it should dive you an idea as to what you are up against.

Andy
Old 02-09-2012, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by sound_wave
Kieran - if you look in the FAQ there is a section towards the end all about siezed bushes. Have a butcher's through this and it should dive you an idea as to what you are up against.

Andy
Cheers mate I will have a look there
Old 03-30-2013, 09:04 AM

I'm in trouble now!

I've just been replacing my shocks. I did the fronts and the drivers side rear, but when I got to the last rear one the bolt's seized in the bush and it needs replacing -it's twisting.

I've looked on the Lings website and it's not available there so it looks like Honda don't do them, but are there alternatives that I haven't managed to find yet?
Old 03-30-2013, 09:27 AM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Polybush sell them

Only problem is if all the other bolts are seized you won't be able to get the arm of the car.

This means full strip down or get it on ramp and do it in position.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by E4RTH WORM JIM
Polybush sell them

Only problem is if all the other bolts are seized you won't be able to get the arm of the car.

This means full strip down or get it on ramp and do it in position.
Yeah it looks like my only options are Polybush at £36 for a pair (I think it's a pair?) of bushes, or Mugen rubber bushes at £120 for a full car set of four.

I'd prefer the Mugen one's really, but they are quite a bit more expensive than the Polybush ones which I would probably go for if I knew they would last, but I'm not sure if they will?

Yep the lower arm won't come off either, I'll have to do it where it is.

I've been checking the Geo bolts as I go and greasing them with marine grease. The front right corner of the car has nothing seized, the front left has one lower bolt seized (the horizontal one). The rear right has two lower bolts seized. I'm not sure how many of the rear left bolts are seized as I haven't checked them all, but at least one's seized and it won't let me remove the lower arm from the car!

It's weird. All of the non seized bolts are like new, really shiny. Then the seized one's must be really bad. There seems to be no inbetween, slightly rusty bolts. The other three shock mount bolts were all like new too.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:58 PM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Plus gas is your friend in this sort of situation, a couple of weeks before i took the car to DMS for alignment i sprayed every nut, bolt and bush and the only things i have found seized so far were the caster bushes. Lithium grease was also sprayed on the stuff thats used for alignment to ensure it also helps prevent seizing.

I removed my shock bolts today and noticed a couple of things,

1. The shock bolt isnt long enough from standard. The shank part of the bolt should be seated inside the shock fork and the bush. On my car the shank goes through the first part of the fork, then the bush but then its threaded so the thread is resting against fork. This will allow water to get in but its also not good for wear and tear as the high part of the thread will be taking load its not designed for. I brought some new 100mm x M12 10.9 high tensile zinc coated bolts to replaced the originals and they are spot on. A couple of washers and it works perfectly. All 4 OEM bolts were the same.

2. Water had started to corroded the bolt and cause white powder to form, the start of it seizing.

When reassembling i ensure plenty of copper grease was inside the metal collar of the bush to prevent any further seizing.

Compared to my integra the S2000 has been a joy to work on.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:15 PM

Where did you get the bolts from Mark?
Old 03-30-2013, 03:15 PM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

www.margnor.co.uk

The shank protrudes a couple of mm out of the shock/bush assembly so you can either use a couple of washers or a spacer. M12 x 100mm 10.9. I got some washers and some nyloc nuts to go with the bolts. The thread probably sticks out 30mm or so but you can either cut the thread short or just put up with it. I have driven mine today and i have had no problems.

will defo bookmark that company as they delivered within two days which was very good service.

Quick Reply: Shock absorber bushes