UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Smoke

Old 03-09-2011, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoke

Hi Guys,

As some of you may know I replaced the valve stem seals on my S a while back to try and get rid of a smoking issue the car had. Recently though i've noticed the car is still smoking and i'm stumped as to where I should look next to find the problem.

Here's the lowdown:

Valve stem seals changed at christmas
Compression is equal on all cylinders and is around the 200psi mark
Spark plugs are showing no sign of unhealthy running and all are clean as they should be

The car has been running rich recently which i've diagnosed as a faulty lambda sensor of which i'm about to fit a new one

The smoking only occurs when pulling away after being at idle when the engine is warm. The puff of smoke only lasts for a second or two and during a journey the car isn't smoking at all. It doesn't smoke when nailing it and there's no noticable drop in power anywhere and the car feels strong as an ox.

It doesn't seem to be using oil either (i keep a good eye on the levels)

So what do you think it could be guys? I've done a lot of searching but my car doesn't seem to have any of the usual symptoms

The car is having the supercharger fitted in just under two weeks and i'd really like to fix the smoking before it does.

Nick
Old 03-09-2011, 08:38 AM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Blue smoke im guessing?

Does it smoke under hard stationary revving? (once fully warmed up that is!)

When you check your oil is the car level?

Tried a different oil?
Old 03-09-2011, 08:38 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

What colour is the smoke?
Old 03-09-2011, 09:05 AM

Has it only just started happening again recently? It's been bloody cold this past week, so is there any chance you're mistaking smoking with condensation?
Old 03-09-2011, 09:29 AM

The smoke is blue. The car doesn't smoke under hard revving when standing still.

I've been using 5w 30 in the car but have done an oil change this evening to Mobil 10w40 to see if it makes any difference.

Car is always level when I check the oil.

This evening i've done an oil change, fitted a new lambda sensor, removed and checked the plugs done a compression test and re-fitted them and i've just completed the ecu reset as per the FAQ.

Not sure what else to check
Old 03-09-2011, 10:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Check your cylinder walls for scoring, you can do that by dropping the sump and looking from below, or use a small narrow inspection camera and inspect via spark plug holes..

Sure your EGR isn't busted or anything similar (vacuum hoses)?

Joeh
Old 03-09-2011, 10:39 AM

Received 245 Likes on 211 Posts

Going by the pic in your avatar are you supercharged? if so maybe the oil is passing a seal somewhere.?
Old 03-09-2011, 10:44 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Fitted in two weeks.

It's not oil being sucked through the vacuum into the throttle body and then burnt off?
Old 03-09-2011, 10:56 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Pretty sure the S2000 doesn't have an egr valve joeh. Don't know what to say other than what others have suggested other than the rings or pipe issue. I see where your coming from regarding different oil but I don't think changing will sort it.

Remember when idling your in vacuum so it could be sucking oil.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:59 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

IIRC the design of the pre 04 Rocker covers allows oil to collect and get sucked up? PCV check and clean required?

I can't remember the exact issue but it is something that a super charger can make worse due to boost pressure build up in the throttle body?

Quick Reply: Smoke