UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Smoke

Old 03-09-2011, 11:04 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Uf your thinking about boost entering the crank case, and thus boost overcoming the one way direction of the pcv valve.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:07 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

I've seen PaulF and Vixens car doing exactly the same thing - there was a redesign of the rocker cover and PCV system to stop oil pooling under it and being sucked up. Worth an inspection of the inlet to see if it's oil stained?

Boost thing I agree is something else but definitely something to be aware of if he's going supercharged?
Old 03-09-2011, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine's doing this now, got pretty bad after Rockingham so was thinking I cooked the stem seals.

Wierd thing is that it's much worse when the oil is on max than minimum so I am going to check the breather system.

It's certainly embarrasing to say the least
Old 03-09-2011, 11:18 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Could be worth a looksee.

Easy to check pcv valve...

remove it and shake it close to your ear it should rattle, blow/suck into it and it should only let air go one way.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:17 PM

Thanks for the replies guys

PCV is clean and working as it should as I also checked that this evening. I'm thinking its possibly worth chucking on a cheap catch can setup to see if that makes any difference?

I've just got back from football training and the car is driving A1, couldn't see if its still smoking as there were no cars behind me to light it up so that will have to wait till tomorrow.

I really want to leave checking for scored bores as a last resort as I haven't got access to a small camera and would mean removing the sump. I thought if the bores were scored it would show up on a compression test?
Old 03-09-2011, 01:21 PM
Banned

Have you done a leak down compression test? That's what I'd be doing first.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had exactly the same issue with mine a couple of years ago. I had new rings in the No. 4 cylinder, and a top end rebuild. It still smoked so I had new valve stem seals again. And again. It still re-occurs from time to time. My best guess is that I have a sticky seal.

I'd check your new seals have seated correctly.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:19 PM

Not done a leakdown test as I haven't got the tool so maybe I need to invest in one.

Pretty damn sure that the stem seals have seated properly as I double / triple checked everything when fitting them
Old 03-10-2011, 06:58 AM

I get exaclty the same issue. Would be nice to see what fixes it. I was thinking of trying a catch can too. Mine tends to do it worst if I coast for a short distance. Then on pulling away, I see a puff of blue smoke behine me. And yes, i agree, it is a little embarassing.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:08 AM

My car has obviously heard this thread and has been smoking a lot today, also seems to be using oil pretty fast.

Going to investigate how much work/cost is involved in taking the head off, regrinding the valves and replacing the stem seals. Got an endoscope and compression tester I can try at work too, so will look at that first.

Quick Reply: Smoke