UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

So I have taken the plunge

Old 07-09-2017, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I have taken the plunge

I have been out all weekend looking at and test driving S2000's and have finally found one that I like and have done the deal. It's a 2005 reg with a really good service history. However there are a couple of small issues with it that I intend to address after I pick it up next week that I would appreciate some advice on. These are:

1) The drivers side carpet has a big rip in it
I will look to replace this, but wondered if an OEM carpet from a car being broken is the way to go or if there is a recommended source for supplying a new one. I'm not afraid of doing the job myself so either a good source for materials or someone who does the lot is fine by me.

2) Floor Mats
Related to the previous issue, the car is not being supplied with any floor mats. I would like to get some preferably delivered by the end of next week so that I can fit them to the car when I collect it, as I don't want any issues with feet and pedals getting caught in carpet on my maiden drive as a new owner. Are there any recommended sources? I have read the discussions on the S2ktuning mats and the OEM ones and just wondered what was my best bet. I would prefer to buy once by buying right, so please don't limit your views on cost alone.

3) Phone holder
I have read a lot about the Modifry bracket, but cant see where to get it in the UK (which leads me to think that ordering from the Modifry website is the way to go??). Again, like with the mats I would prefer to have some form of bracket available if possible by next weekend so that I can use it for the Sat Nav on the way home - gonna explore a few country roads on the journey back (some 110 miles - should be good) - so if you have any good experiences with other brackets please let me know.

4) Car Cover
Unfortunately I do not have a garage so my new car will spend its life on my drive when not being driven, so I would like to get a cover to give it a bit of protection. As per previous questions, are there any recommended suppliers of these?

5) Tyres
Part of the deal for the new car was for the current owner to change the rear tyres for me as they are near the legal limit. I just have to let them know what tyres I want and they will get them fitted for me (might have to contribute a bit if they are really expensive though), so again I would appreciate any recommendations. From a general scour of the forum I see that the Bridgestone RE050 and the Goodyear Eagle F1 assymetric are mentioned a lot. I would rather not have a summer specific compound and standard OEM wheels are fitted to the car if that helps.

6) Soft top Roof Repair
There is a small (10mm) tear in the roof above the drivers head and I wanted to see what the best way of patching this up would be. If it is simply a case of gluing a piece of similar fabric to the roof on the underside then is there a recommended adhesive to use? I was thinking that sewing up the tear may be worth doing before applying the patch (if it can be done neatly). Good idea?

7) Dash Cam
In order to keep the insurance company happy, but also to record some runs in future, I need to fit a dash cam to the new car. I have been looking at the Next Base 512G model, but wondered if you had any experience with it. I would assume that this can fit to the wind deflector between the seats using the sucker?

Wow I have written a lot. Sorry if this appears as a bit of a blunderbuss approach to getting lots of questions answered on lots of topics, but I would appreciate if you could help me out so that I can really enjoy the new toy when I pick it up next weekend.
Old 07-09-2017, 02:48 PM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

1) Second hand is the way to go, bu if you wish to advertise, please join up as a paying member in accordance with the rules of the site.
2) See the traders section, either s2K Tuning or Si at Hendy's offers are the best.
3) Use a magnetic air vent holder - I have one of these, it works very nicely and won't damage the vent:
Amazon Amazon

4) There are a few and a search will come up with some ideas - note that a covr is quite likely to damage the paintwork if put on a dirty car.
5) See the Forum favourites sticky here: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-irela...t-etc-1085229/ (this also contains a link to a long tyre thread where you can search for comments on your tyres of choice
6) Again, try a search, lots of info on how to repair or replace.
7) No idea!

As I've mentioned above, please try to use the search facility, or search the site using Google, this saves the same questions from being answered over and over again.

Most of all, enjoy your new car.

Last edited by lovegroova; 07-09-2017 at 02:53 PM.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:51 PM
MrM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In answer to 7) I use a little Möbius dashcam as I wanted something as discreet as possible, not a camera or phone strapped to my windscreen. It doesn't have GPS so no speed or location info, which suits me, but then it's not part of my insurance requirement. You will also need to think about how you are going to power the dashcam...
Old 07-09-2017, 10:06 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

6) look at Stormsure web site they do a roof repair kit, with a self adhesive patch that goes inside. Do this sooner rather than later or it will grow! A little bit of black silicone sealant will help to disguise the tear from the outside.
4) Forget the cover, just keep it well waxed, as above if the car is not spotless movement in the wind will really scratch it up.
5) Tyres are crucial, the recommended ones have a very firm sidewall, If you can get Bridgestones great but they must be the MZ variant specified for the S2000.

And welcome.
Old 07-09-2017, 11:06 PM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

3) Modifry arrives fast from the US - so no worries there, but they do require some fitting ( removing a bit of trim + screw and shaving a hidden lip off ) so it's not going to be something you can do easily for the drive home.
4) I've been using a cover ( Stormforce fitted ) for the past few winters and I'm going to skip it this year, even if you get the paintwork completely clean you still end up with swirl marks and dull spots - plus having had a recent conversation with Monsoon cars hoods they don't recommend covers as they rub the roof against the bows creating flat spots in the texture, plus if you have their mohair material it retains moisture and encourages mould/algae growth.

8,9,10,11) As with all cars there are going to be loads of other jobs, so your priorities will change as you add new items to your todo list, so tbh I'd go with 5, 6 and 7 and drive the car in what's left of the Summer to find out what else you might want to change.
Old 07-09-2017, 11:13 PM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

For number 2 i believe Si @ Hendy Performance is the only supplier of the OEM Honda mats now and they are far superior than any others i have ever seen in any s2000, not cheap though at £150. Where is the Rip in the carpet? would it not be covered up by the mats?
Old 07-10-2017, 12:59 AM
UK Moderator

Originally Posted by richmc
5) Tyres are crucial, the recommended ones have a very firm sidewall, If you can get Bridgestones great but they must be the MZ variant specified for the S2000.
5) Yes, good tyres are important, but the MZ variant was discontinued some years ago. The normal RE050 are fine.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:50 AM

Received 1,133 Likes on 996 Posts

"2005 registration" is meaningless (except for road tax purposes?). What's the model year of the car? No differences I'm aware of between 2004 and 2005 model years (which are the first face-lifts) but 2003 cars first registered in 2005 are entirely different.

The RE050 tires are, IIRC, 140 wear rated and don't handle as well as the latest tires. Our cars can get twitchy with mismatched tires so all 4 of the same type and age is the best practice. Mix does not work well. Match does. Bridgestone S03s or SO4s are a good fit but are "summer" tires. I know the S04s are asymmetric (non-directional) and have a very stiff outside edge for cornering. Since you don't want summer tires a good set of "performance" all-seasons is appropriate. I have Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 tires on a sedan. Ultra High Performance All Season Radials. Not tried them on the S2000 but they're available in the right sizes. UK availability?

If you're trying to mount a mobile phone there are inexpressive mounts that slip and lock in the CD slot in the radio. Can't use a CD then, of course, but one of these works very well in my cars and rentals when they don't have GPS.

I patched the small tear in my roof with GoreTex patches. Sold at sporting goods here in the USA and on-line. Black color matches the top nicely. Kit has enough material for inside and outside patches.

Hopefully given this a lot of thought but non-garage parking is begging for theft. Every thief has a key (AKA box cutter) for the car so locking it is no deterrent other than the alarm. Ever heard a car alarm? Of course! Ever seen anyone do anything (but complain) about it? Nope!

-- Chuck
Old 07-10-2017, 04:39 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by lovegroova
5) Yes, good tyres are important, but the MZ variant was discontinued some years ago. The normal RE050 are fine.
How come I got a pair of MZ's 6 months ago with a 2016 date code on them?

I think you will find they do periodically manufacture a batch, but are reluctant to tell anyone but the wholesaler, so it's pot luck if you can get them.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:43 AM
UK Moderator

Originally Posted by richmc
How come I got a pair of MZ's 6 months ago with a 2016 date code on them?

I think you will find they do periodically manufacture a batch, but are reluctant to tell anyone but the wholesaler, so it's pot luck if you can get them.
Well done you, a member here has quoted an email from Bridgestone stating they had been discontinued.

See here for the details: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-irela.../#post23544716

Quick Reply: So I have taken the plunge