UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Speaker Upgrades - Totally Confused

Old 01-11-2003, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Speaker Upgrades - Totally Confused

I've searched the forum and got a lot of info whizzing round my little brain Basically I want to do 3 things (and i WON'T do it myself as I will totally fc*k it up no matter how easy it is for the biggest klutz!!

1. Replace head unit with Alpine 4983 (will be buying it tonight online)
2. Upgrade Front speakers (I have an 02 which has the separate tweeter things)
3. Put in Rear speakers (with decent speakers - perhaps not the stocks out of the front)

So i need a couple of questions answering:

- What are the best speakers around (make and model) which fit the front configuration
- What should i stick in for rear speakers
- Do I just order Lucid's rear speaker solution and take it to a fitter to put in?
- Any decent Fitters in Herts/Bucks/Berks area who would do a decent Job for me?

I'm a novice and a total klutz so I cannot put them in myself But I do appreciate good sound

Cheers in advance for the help and advice I just know I am gonna get from you helpful peeps
Old 01-12-2003, 03:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry can't help with the speakers but am interested in finding out a little more ref. changing the R/C as mines a Jap import - why have you chosen the Alpine and do the controls in the dash still work with it.

Cheers.
Old 01-12-2003, 03:10 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by chrisx16
do the controls in the dash still work with it.
Yes! Alpine do a KCE-865B adaptor that connects the dash controls to the head unit.
Old 01-12-2003, 03:16 AM

Originally posted by AquilaEagle

- What are the best speakers around (make and model) which fit the front configuration
The JBL P62's that I have would do the job. The tweeter is detachable from the speaker.

- What should i stick in for rear speakers
The JBL P42's

- Do I just order Lucid's rear speaker solution and take it to a fitter to put in?
- Any decent Fitters in Herts/Bucks/Berks area who would do a decent Job for me?
Don't know I am afraid. I used Lucid's rear panels but I installed the speakers and head unit myself.
Old 01-13-2003, 12:56 AM

I got some Kenwood speakers, but they are under-rated for the power my alpine 7893 kicks out (top head unit BTW) so not much help.

However, I would suggest doing the speaker upgrade first before buying the rear panel kit from Lucid. I was going to go for the rears as well, but after upgrading the HU and the speakers I decided it wasn't worth it.

Don't forget that we are driving a convertible. What's the point in spending hundreds of
Old 01-13-2003, 07:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tifosi Red bought the PA system from Wembley Stadium and put it in his S2000..... (or at least that's what I deduced from the volume he whacks out )
Old 01-13-2003, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

LOL pete,

well from those replies looks like i have no choice but go for the JBL's and they must be good cos no-one else replied with an argument against them heh
Old 01-13-2003, 12:00 PM

well from those replies looks like i have no choice but go for the JBL's and they must be good cos no-one else replied with an argument against them heh
The P62's cost about
Old 01-13-2003, 01:25 PM

For fitting try Prestige Audio in Harrow, they have a very good reputation.

For speakers up front I am running the Focal Utopia 165W's as to is Tif. These put out about 100W RMS, so you are going to need a reasonable 200.2 amp, or a 4-channel amp if you plan to go active or run a sub.
As for the rears just run them off the head unit as rear fill and put the soundstage more up front on the head unit.

Here is my current set-up:
Alpine 7894RB MP3 Head Unit & S634 MP3 Changer
Alpine KCE-865B Dash Control Interface
Focal Utopia 165W's 6.5" Fronts
Phoenix Gold ZX475ti (500.4) Running the Focals active
Phoenix Gold ZX600ti (600.2) For the Sub
JL W3v2 Sub

Also running a set of Lucids 5.25" Kenwood's in the rear, but they are turned down pretty low, think I am going to change them for some slightly higher quality ones, if I can find some that fit.
Old 01-14-2003, 12:35 AM

I have a 01 year car with just the one speaker in the door - since I will be getting the Apine Head unit I thought I might as well get some Apline speakers as well - has anyone tried Alpine speakers

not bothering with rears as the HKS Hyper probs will provided enough bass

Quick Reply: Speaker Upgrades - Totally Confused