UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Sprinting and Hillclimbing an S2000

Old 03-22-2016, 04:33 AM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim S
Originally Posted by MB' timestamp='1458168963' post='23910791
which you don't tend to get on sprints.
Except the circuit-based sprints of course.

First sprint of the year at Rockingham tomorrow. Not sure if spectators are allowed. I shall be attempting to keep it away from the wall on the banking.

Also the first sprint on the new R888R tyres.
How did you get on at Rockingham Tim
Old 03-22-2016, 12:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not bad thanks. 82.44s which was faster than a lot of stuff - Caterhams, Westfields, most of the TVRs, a GTR, a new GT3RS! Unfortunately not quite good enough for a class win (2nd by 0.4s).

Vid here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xDdquzMLUNE
Old 03-25-2016, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I compete in my local car club autosolos so I am pretty limited in actual tyre choice to keep me with the regs of tyre list 'a'. My car is standard and I'm not doing suspension mods as it's my daily.
https://www.msauk.org/assets/2016tyrelists1abc.pdf

So far I have used
Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 which I like but the tyres do roll a bit so outside wear isn't great.
Continental Sport Contact 5 which is very similar to the Goodyear in feel and grip but they fall to pieces even worse than the Goodyears.

I was about to just order another set of Goodyears but am I missing any others that people have used with good results.

Once I have had new tyres fitted it's alignment time and I will see if I can get a bit more camber than I have currently to help the outside edges.

If this is better suited to the main tyre thread mods would you mind moving it over.
Old 03-26-2016, 02:09 AM
UK Moderator

Received 301 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey81
If this is better suited to the main tyre thread mods would you mind moving it over.
Moved here as it seemed a good place to put it.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey81
I compete in my local car club autosolos so I am pretty limited in actual tyre choice to keep me with the regs of tyre list 'a'. My car is standard and I'm not doing suspension mods as it's my daily.

So far I have used
Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 which I like but the tyres do roll a bit so outside wear isn't great.
Continental Sport Contact 5 which is very similar to the Goodyear in feel and grip but they fall to pieces even worse than the Goodyears.

I was about to just order another set of Goodyears but am I missing any others that people have used with good results.

Once I have had new tyres fitted it's alignment time and I will see if I can get a bit more camber than I have currently to help the outside edges.

Ooops just bought my 1A tyres for this season and went for the Conti Sport Contact 5!

I gather Autosolo is a wee bit more vigorous on tyres than sprinting though as I can't see me getting that much heat into them in two minutes?
Old 03-30-2016, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Tim S
Not bad thanks. 82.44s which was faster than a lot of stuff - Caterhams, Westfields, most of the TVRs, a GTR, a new GT3RS! Unfortunately not quite good enough for a class win (2nd by 0.4s).

Vid here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xDdquzMLUNE
Cracking video, not sure I'd be as brave near that huge wall!!
Old 03-31-2016, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by earl's_f20c
Originally Posted by Mikey81' timestamp='1458924585' post='23919117

So far I have used

Ooops just bought my 1A tyres for this season and went for the Conti Sport Contact 5!

I gather Autosolo is a wee bit more vigorous on tyres than sprinting though as I can't see me getting that much heat into them in two minutes?
I agree, it just isn't long enough to kill your tyres.
Old 04-04-2016, 02:01 PM

I booked my first competitive sprint today. I'm doing round two of the Javelin sprint series which is on the Blyton Eastern circuit. Looks like a good first sprint as there's nothing to really hit. Got a few friends doing it as well who I know from a FB group called 'Sprint and Trackday' who run a monthly event at Curborough.

I'm planning to do some autosolo at Kemble this weekend as well. It will be my first time competing in the S2k so I'm pretty excited!
Old 04-05-2016, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by deadmau5
I booked my first competitive sprint today. I'm doing round two of the Javelin sprint series which is on the Blyton Eastern circuit. Looks like a good first sprint as there's nothing to really hit. Got a few friends doing it as well who I know from a FB group called 'Sprint and Trackday' who run a monthly event at Curborough.

I'm planning to do some autosolo at Kemble this weekend as well. It will be my first time competing in the S2k so I'm pretty excited!
Cool, what class are you competing in, D2, C2 OR A3?

I like the fact that any E marked tyres are on the table !!

I'm competing at Curborough this year and we only get the measley road 1A tyres
Old 04-05-2016, 01:38 PM

I'm in D3. D3 is standard car up to 2000cc NA I think.

I have Bridgestone RE002 all round. I haven't really looked at the regulations so I'm not sure which tyres I'm allowed but suspect the more track orientated won't be allowed in D class. My friend runs in C3 in a 172 and he's just got some Nankang AR1s which everyone seems to be raving about.

I've been to Curborough three times. It's a fun circuit and considerably better since they put tarmac in the middle!

Which class do you compete in?

Quick Reply: Sprinting and Hillclimbing an S2000