UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Sprinting and Hillclimbing an S2000

Old 04-05-2016, 10:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by deadmau5
I'm in D3. D3 is standard car up to 2000cc NA I think.

I have Bridgestone RE002 all round. I haven't really looked at the regulations so I'm not sure which tyres I'm allowed but suspect the more track orientated won't be allowed in D class. My friend runs in C3 in a 172 and he's just got some Nankang AR1s which everyone seems to be raving about.

I've been to Curborough three times. It's a fun circuit and considerably better since they put tarmac in the middle!

Which class do you compete in?
Daytona Dave, Rickard, Muntenreal, AlexGJ & myself are in the Road going Sports & saloons which is just one up from Standard (mainly due to us already having too many mod's to undo!!).

Keep an eye out on the meets page as we hire Curborough for the day and sometimes have spare places available

1st race is on 24th April so I'm bricking it now!!
Old 04-06-2016, 02:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good luck in your first sprint lads!! I'm hopeful one of you will get fastest in class

The S2K Sprint Day at Curborough on April 22nd is also up in the Meet Section for those interested!
Old 04-06-2016, 04:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by earl's_f20c
Originally Posted by deadmau5' timestamp='1459892290' post='23929260
I'm in D3. D3 is standard car up to 2000cc NA I think.

I have Bridgestone RE002 all round. I haven't really looked at the regulations so I'm not sure which tyres I'm allowed but suspect the more track orientated won't be allowed in D class. My friend runs in C3 in a 172 and he's just got some Nankang AR1s which everyone seems to be raving about.

I've been to Curborough three times. It's a fun circuit and considerably better since they put tarmac in the middle!

Which class do you compete in?
Daytona Dave, Rickard, Muntenreal, AlexGJ & myself are in the Road going Sports & saloons which is just one up from Standard (mainly due to us already having too many mod's to undo!!).

Keep an eye out on the meets page as we hire Curborough for the day and sometimes have spare places available

1st race is on 24th April so I'm bricking it now!!
I hope to go to Curborough this year with you guys. I´ll keep an eye on the meets page. Can´t make it on the 24th though
Old 04-06-2016, 07:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by deadmau5
I booked my first competitive sprint today. I'm doing round two of the Javelin sprint series which is on the Blyton Eastern circuit. Looks like a good first sprint as there's nothing to really hit. Got a few friends doing it as well who I know from a FB group called 'Sprint and Trackday' who run a monthly event at Curborough.

I'm planning to do some autosolo at Kemble this weekend as well. It will be my first time competing in the S2k so I'm pretty excited!
I was looking at the sprint series and it looked ridiculously overpriced! £120 for 5 mins of track time?! A Bit maaaad!
Old 04-06-2016, 10:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know what you mean! I was pretty hesitant but my friend who does lots of track days and runs a monthly event at Curborough did round one and said it's the best thing he's ever done. I think it works out at about 12-13 minutes of track time depending on your pace (bargain...). It's only 308 miles from me as well...

Thanks for the Curborough offer. I will more than likely take you up on that later in the year.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

At Gurston Down (Nr. Salisbury) Saturday and Sunday this weekend. Quite a good one for spectating if anyone wants to pop down. I'll post videos after.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:00 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim S
At Gurston Down (Nr. Salisbury) Saturday and Sunday this weekend. Quite a good one for spectating if anyone wants to pop down. I'll post videos after.
I did the school day there on Tuesday (great fun!) and have a free spectators pass. If I can get down to support I will.

Good luck!
Old 04-14-2016, 10:13 AM

Received 128 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by CynicG

I did the school day there on Tuesday (great fun!) and have a free spectators pass. If I can get down to support I will.

Good luck!
I've been thinking about that myself. Worthwhile?
Old 04-14-2016, 11:22 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

I've never done hill climbing before so yes I think was worthwhile. About 10 runs across the day and a fair bit of waiting, but lots of people and different vehicles to talk to/nose at.

Having the bottle to take hollow bend without braking was a challenge.

I'd like to see how Tim takes it
Old 04-14-2016, 11:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CynicG
Having the bottle to take hollow bend without braking was a challenge.

I'd like to see how Tim takes it
I've only been there once before, this event last year. I think I was braking into Hollow... if not braking then lifting!

I also found I lost a load of time up Deer's Leap due to gearing - choice of change gear and immediately back down again or bounce it off the rev limiter - both were slow. You can get quite addicted to analysing the split sector times. People stand around and chat and compare timing slips in the top paddock while waiting for the return run.

Quick Reply: Sprinting and Hillclimbing an S2000