UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Squeek under load

Old 11-19-2012, 03:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeek under load

Done lots of searching about squeeks on here but can't seem to find anything that exactly matches my symptoms, and those that are close haven't had how the problem was solved to the thread!!

I'm getting a brief (3-5 seconds) squeek from the rear when accelerating. If I continue accelerating or keep the throttle steady it will stop eventually, if I come off the throttle it stops straight away. It happens in a straight line as well as when cornering. Riding the brake or applying the handbrake makes no difference to to the squeek.

I've jacked the car up but can't feel any play or movement in the wheel bearings (12 to 6 or 9 to 3), and rotating the wheel feels OK, but I'm not used to the feel of rear wheel drive wheels anymore so that may be misleading. I've also stripped and cleaned/copper greased the calipers all round.

Any ideas? I'm thinking I should change the diff oil as I don't know when it was last done, maybe loosen the axle nuts/regrease surface area/re-torque, and maybe clamp off the rear brake hoses and see if that makes any difference.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:09 AM

Has the car got polybushes in the suspenson arms? If so, I bet you it is them.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:35 AM

No it hasn't yet, but will do soon lol. This sounds like high pitched brake squeel, but i doubt its the brakes themselves
Old 03-27-2013, 01:56 AM

Finally found out what this squeeking is - or rather the guys at DMS did!

I'd started to get paranoid that it was a failing bearing or brakes sticking and was all set to order new rear calipers and/or bearings. Anyway, had a trip down south last week to visit friends in Kent so thought I'd pop in to see Dixon on the way to get his opinion.

A quick road test with one of his mechanics and I'm told it's coming from the front and it's definitely not a bearing issue - back to the workshop and he fits a spare airbox lid (i normally run the car without one) and sends me out again - the noise has gone

Turns out I've been hearing the throttle butterfly which is probably resonating slightly at a certain engine speed. Bit embarrassing, but it's saved me spending out on unnecessary parts and allowed me to order the induction kit I've been wanting for a while
Old 03-27-2013, 02:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice one, glad you got it sorted. Got your message by the way, will let you know when the CF covers come in mate.

Originally Posted by 954chris
Finally found out what this squeeking is - or rather the guys at DMS did!

I'd started to get paranoid that it was a failing bearing or brakes sticking and was all set to order new rear calipers and/or bearings. Anyway, had a trip down south last week to visit friends in Kent so thought I'd pop in to see Dixon on the way to get his opinion.

A quick road test with one of his mechanics and I'm told it's coming from the front and it's definitely not a bearing issue - back to the workshop and he fits a spare airbox lid (i normally run the car without one) and sends me out again - the noise has gone

Turns out I've been hearing the throttle butterfly which is probably resonating slightly at a certain engine speed. Bit embarrassing, but it's saved me spending out on unnecessary parts and allowed me to order the induction kit I've been wanting for a while