UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Squeeky dashboard - help please

Old 10-27-2003, 05:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeeky dashboard - help please

Hi Guys

My s2k has developed THE most annoying feature lately. Yep an intermittent, unfindable jiggly squeek from what sound like the front dash area. It started in the hot weather a couple of months back and all my efforts to find it have failed. Has anyone else got this or even better had it and cured it. I have done a search on the site and found no references. I can't believe I'm the only one...........

It- as I said - is a high pitched squeek that happens on short wavelength -jiggly - bumbs/ridges.

Please help, Its spoiling an otherwise stunning car.
Old 10-27-2003, 07:16 AM

Check the bolt for the rear view mirror. It's normally the culprit... was for me.
Old 10-27-2003, 07:35 AM
Administrator

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

My Mirror did the same, but i immediately noticed it as it was wobbling very slightly making the image blurred in it.
Old 10-27-2003, 08:21 AM

I have the same Squeeky dashboard, my Honda main dealer can'not find it and it is gradually getting worse... Help !!
Old 10-27-2003, 08:28 AM

Thanks, but its not that.........I just checked it and the squeek has persisted despite having a new windscreen fitted - cracked not shattered
Old 10-27-2003, 08:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Simple fix. Open the glove box between the seats. Then open the sectre compartment, and you'll find the cheese tray. Place some cheese, (Red Leicester, or Cheddar - no blue cheese) here, and hopefully you'll be back in the good books of the factory-fit mouse, and the squeaking will stop. Rumours of rice being needed are false - UK cars, have an EU standard mouse (be thankful you've not got a French car).

Sorry. Try getting someone to ride in the passenger seat, to narrow down where the noise is coming from. One 'squeak' I know of on two S2000's is the door cards rubbing on the dash, making a squeak. Press the door card in towards the door next to the dashboard, and see if the noise stops while you're pressing. (You'll need a passenger to do the passenger side.). If it does, try a little of the 'flash dash' style silicone spray on the part of the door card that touches the dash. If it's not that, get a helpful passenger to try narrow down where the noise is coming from.

-Brian.
Old 10-27-2003, 08:55 AM

Sound can travel in funny ways so although unlikely, if you haven't already done so check that it is not your leather seats rubbing the plastic, go for a drive with the seats moved further forwards and clearly away from the back???

Another possibility is the roof clips.
Old 10-27-2003, 01:37 PM

Had a squeak that I was convinced was coming from behind the CD player area of the dashboard, every little bump in the road gave a squeak After much investigation with the help of passengers I narrowed the sound down to the front n/s suspension area and much lubricating ensued all to no avail.....and then one day as I was cleaning the car and dried the corner of the bonnet...squeak squeak

Turned out it was the bonnet catch squeaking with the slight movement caused by going over bumps etc. It just needed a clean and some grease applying. Its been fine ever since, which is handy as it was doing my head in

HTH
Old 10-28-2003, 12:45 PM

You bloody genius..............just been out and poked the corner of my bonnet - thats not a euphemism - and "squeek, squeek" couldn't believe it...................................Thanks
Old 10-28-2003, 01:24 PM

glad its sorted

Quick Reply: Squeeky dashboard - help please