UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Starter Motor Grind On Cold Mornings

Old 10-23-2018, 11:52 AM

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Starter Motor Grind On Cold Mornings

Hi Guys,

After searching various threads, I have come to the conclusion that this issue is a common quirk with the s2000.
Apologies again for raising another thread on the issue.

I have just started to notice it now after the sudden drop in temperatures on the odd occasion I have driven the s2000 to work.

It is indeed an awful sound and something that I would like to get resolved.

-Why does it happen? Is it a bad design of the starter motor?
-It seems that the best solution would be to replace the starter motor, however my concern, would the issue just return after a few years? Did Honda revise the design of the starter motor?
-Apart from the embarrassing sound if I left it as it is, does the grind actually damage the flywheel or do any long term damage at all?
-A new starter motor from Honda is approx £400.

Has anyone tried cheaper alternatives which are reliable? i.e Blueprint?
or is it best just to stick with a genuine part.

-Has anyone tried replacing the starter motor themselves? It looks quite tricky to access?

The starter motor functions well apart from this issue and it only does this when left standing for a while in the cold mornings. It randomly did occur when I started it up when heading home from work one Friday afternoon.

Another side of me is telling me to just live with it, but I can't help thinking of the damage it is causing to the flywheel.

Quite disappointed at this, never known any Honda to have this type of issue.

Thanks Guys

Old 10-23-2018, 12:01 PM

Received 344 Likes on 321 Posts

More amp battery,they are small oem and alarm takes fair amps if left for a few days
Old 10-23-2018, 12:03 PM

More amp battery,they are small oem and alarm takes fair amps if left for a few days
Ahhh - so your saying the battery is the issue as it doesn't provide cold cranking amps at start up on cold days?
Old 10-23-2018, 12:05 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Battery would be my first suggestion.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:08 PM

Received 344 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000_f20
Ahhh - so your saying the battery is the issue as it doesn't provide cold cranking amps at start up on cold days?
Old 10-23-2018, 12:08 PM

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Battery is a good start - but I hung out until the starter eventually went, I went with OEM Honda - once you read mileage and warranty length, the Honda part is a no brainer. It's not the easiest job to do.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:10 PM

Battery is fairly new and shows a green indicator which i assume the battery is in a good state.

If the battery was weak, surely the grind wouldn't be possible?
Or would the theory be that the start pinion doesn't retract quick enough due to the lower power?
Old 10-23-2018, 12:12 PM

Battery is a good start - but I hung out until the starter eventually went, I went with OEM Honda - once you read mileage and warranty length, the Honda part is a no brainer. It's not the easiest job to do.
Ahh cheers! What happened in the end? Did the starter burn out or got stuck permanently?
Does the grind cause any damage?

I might hold out too, but I really can't stand the noise - lol
Old 10-23-2018, 12:15 PM

Received 1,191 Likes on 925 Posts

Originally Posted by noodels
Battery amperage rating means almost nothing as long as it is high enough to run the starter, and alarm or not, the OEM battery can do it all day long without issue. You can run a semi battery and it will make no difference. Current draw from a device is based upon resistance of the circuit (including the battery internal resistance) and voltage. The CCA is only a limiting factor and only if you have severely undersized the battery for the application (aka using a motorcycle battery to start a semi :P ) . Using a batter with a higher CCA rating does not provide any more current to the system. It is much easier to engage the starter than spin it, so even with a mostly dead battery , it will many times engage but not spin (or spin slowly).

It is just a common issue with the starter. Mine has done it for 4 years. Has not gotten any worse and I have just been lazy about fixing it :P I plan to do it this winter when doing some other stuff. When it is cold, I sometimes just bump the start button once quickly then hold it again to start. That seems to help it at least not grind very much. For the first few years, it only did it very occasionally. Lately it has happened a bit more and I need to get in gear (pun intended) and fix it soon while I am already not driving it.

Some have taken it apart, cleaned it and relubed things and said it worked better. For me, if I am pulling it I will just replace it with new. There are all sorts of horror stories about not being able to get the top bolt back in, but if you use the right tools and have some patience it will not be all that bad. You need a few feet of extensions, some good light and some tape (just helps in holding the bolts in the socket when you fish them back in). A friend did his with no issues at all.

I do not complain too much on mine since it started at about 110,000 miles, but yes, that is a bit short for a Honda starter. Our 4runner is on on the stock one at 270,000 miles and my 05 Scion is on the stock one at 160,000 miles (and it is a 5 min job to replace!). I think on the S2k, heat is likely the big culprit due to where it is located.

as a note back on the battery thing, mine does it equally as bad on a brand new, OEM sized battery or a lightweight racing battery that can only support about 3 starts before it needs some charge time. It is not your battery
Old 10-23-2018, 12:21 PM

Thanks engifineer,

Great clarification
Was Honda aware of this starter issue? I couldn't locate a TSB or anything for it?
Would that mean buying a new starter motor will eventually re-occur?

Quick Reply: Starter Motor Grind On Cold Mornings